I'm diggin this forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireloo

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks to all (especially those with experience) who post on this forum. I'm new to brewing and have learned alot just lurking here in the shadows. Many people post the same questions I've had and I find answers with out asking questions.
A group of 10 or 12 of us have formed a very loosly organized "brew club" and are having a ball. We all get excited when one of us brews or bottles. Usually there are several of us present at these ceremonies swilling store bought beer to build up our supply of bottles to hold the results of our effort.
Won't be long and all we'll be swilling at our get togethers is our own brews. Most of us are at least fermenting, many have bottled and a few are drinking beer that probably should be conditioning in the bottles.
My own first batch (an all Fuggles IPA) was just bottled a few days ago and I plan to brew again this week. A Cologne Kolsch for which I have high hopes.
By reading on this forum tonight I've decided that I should probably find a warmer place to store my newly bottled beer and ought to be agitating it slightly. I am willing to go to some lengths to hasten the day that I sample my first home brew.
Thanks again to both asker's and answerer's and rest assured that I'll keep reading and have an occasional post.

You HAVE to sample one a week when you are bottle conditioning. Just to see how the carbonation is coming, of course.

Quality Assurance is important. But take notes, otherwise you're just drinking green beer.

Heed the warnings and never "QA" before:

Important meetings
Long flights
Presentations
Date Night

DO Drink green beer:

1. Prior to poker night with the guys
2. When you and SWMBO are fighting

LOL @ cheese :) I don't know about option 2 on when to drink green beer....is SWMBO still in the house at the time? :D

Good post and I'm new here as well and this community has been a great help. What I find incredible is the patience of the community answering the same questions over...and over...and over again. I know from experience. I'm a mod for a really large adult gaming community and it can get quite stressful at times so kudos to all the people who help out newcomers over and over again.

Shows a true love for this community! A big thanks from me as well!

cheers,

Newguy, I agree with you 100%, you NEVER get "Search" as a response from anyone here. I've tried to give back with the little knowledge that I do have, but I'm constantly learning, and I'm not afraid to ask if I can't find the answer by looking.

Never drink green beer with Mexican food either. Although I've always liked the taste of my green beer, even when it's still flat, it just isn't a great idea before chimichangas and rice & beans.

I, too, have learned a lot from lurking - and just as much by mindlessly blabbing (not so much about brewing, just about other members' *blab* thresholds :drunk: ).

ilikestuff said:
Never drink green beer with Mexican food either. Although I've always liked the taste of my green beer, even when it's still flat, it just isn't a great idea before chimichangas and rice & beans.

I too, love the smell and taste of my green beers, but SWMBO has made it clear that I AM NOT to drink the whole tube of yeast-laden gravity tests.....apparently, this creates an internal critical-mass situation that makes it difficult for others to dwell in the same singlewide as me ;) While my father taught me to be quite proud of my flatulent abilities, SWMBO has a keener sense of smell than me - and claims that my sh*t does, in fact, stink.... ;)

I can't imagine the repurcussions of mixing that with Mexican food....I'm sure a Hazmat response would be necessary.

You will soon realize there is a mass influx on knowledge here. But with knowledge comes some B.S. too. But we are all here for the same result, great beer!! You guys are great!!!

OK. I'm getting a sense here that green beer has a loosening affect on the bowels and/or increases intestinal gas production. Is that what y'all are saying.

I honestly didn't know that.

One of my brew club buddies has been drinking his first batch of beer. A non brewing friend looking at his set up talked him into trying it after about a week in the bottles. It's so dam good he had five. Next day he drank two more. Asked me while we golfed today if his beer could be giving him the squirts. I said no way. Do I need to change my answer to him?

By the way, after golf I had one of his beers. An Excelsior Altbier extract kit from Midwest. I was very good except with a tinny bitter late finish.

Actually, green beer is fine for us females. Since we all know that we don't make stinkies.
You men, however, are absolutely foul at times. No green beer for the males in my home, particularly those over 50. (Ok, there is only one male of legal age in my home, and he is over 50- but I didn't want to hurt his feelings by drawing attention to his inability to eat rich food and drink green beer and still have a sex life).

And the squirts your friend has? Yep, green homebrew in quantity.

My biggest challenge as a new brewer was not drinking my product faster than I was brewing.

I had to do two things:

Plan out a new brew for the next 6 weekends.
Buy a lot of micro/craft beer to quench my new appreciation for brew (and collect bottles).

Discipline yourself to stash away a twelve pak, never to be drunk until you have several varieties to choose from. Once your brewing pipeline is in full production, you'll find your next issue is makng space for all your different brews you want to keep cold.

Oh yeah...Homebrew makes me fart.

i havnt been a member long and i DO NOT know everything about brewing, but i do like to pass along what i do know to others, on this forum and off! i have read/learned alot off this forum in the short time i have been on, and i found myself going from looking every couple days to checking the forum before i check my own e-mail! or i find myself in the ''ill just get on till 9 or so and then go to bed!''stage! and not see my pillow till 11 or after! i to am digging this forum! thanx all for all the knowlage and entertainment ! just think i could be doing something thats a complete waste of time like... watching amarican idol or something!

Yooper Chick said:
Actually, green beer is fine for us females. Since we all know that we don't make stinkies.
QUOTE]

of course not!

anyways, it is awesome that you are able to learn alot, and i, myself, am exact in the same as you. i'm all new to this homebrewing, but it's fasting becoming apart of my life style. i'm brewing, my local craft beer store is my hang out since the guy there is awesome, i'm joining my local homebrew club, and in general i think about beer/my beer more times in the day that i would like to admit!

i lurk often and i agree with you- thank you to the seasoned posters and to the noob askers. if its not informative- it's entertaining!

Fireloo - does your name reflect your toilet status?

dibby- Sorry, no, it does not. Americans don't call the toilet a loo. Loo in my instance is short for Lieutenant.

While I'm here typing. Has my thread taken the strangest twists ever? I start it as a thank you to board contributors and we end up talking about the gastro-intestinal effects of home brew.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it did. I was able to give some much needed reassurance to my friend who was afraid that his delicious home brew, of which he was so proud, was going to go unenjoyed.
So, once again, I'm diggin this board.

fireloo said:
[he drank some] after about a week in the bottles. It's so dam good he had five. Next day he drank two more. Asked me while we golfed today if his beer could be giving him the squirts. I said no way. Do I need to change my answer to him?

The squirts? hmm... Gas, sure. But the trots? Never experienced that one from homebrew... Are you sure that he just wasn't a poor show golfing? I mean, if given the choice of admitting to having explosive diarrhea vs. just really being a sh!tty golfer, which would you choose? At least there are pills for diarrhea…

fireloo said:
Fireloo - does your name reflect your toilet status?

dibby- Sorry, no, it does not. Americans don't call the toilet a loo. Loo in my instance is short for Lieutenant.

Still sounds funny. You call it a head don't you...
Sit your fanny on your head after the HB session then!

hee hee hee

Latest posts

Back