Idylis 7-cu ft as fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carr0tsticks

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a chest freezer to make into a fermentation chamber and was wondering if anybody has used the Idylis 7-cu ft Model #: ICM070LC.

Lowes has it currently for $189 and seems to have pretty decent reviews.

My goal is to fit either two 6.5 gallon plastic buckets or two 6 gallon glass carboys or any combination with two in at a time without putting any on the hump and building a collar.

I was wondering if anybody who has freezer this can tell me if it is possible.

It might be tight. I would suggest going to the store grabbing 2 of their 5 gal utility buckets and seeing how they fit. Given a fermentation bucket has a bigger diameter, but it should give you a good frame of reference. Or take 2 lids and how they fit.

I bought an Idylis 7 cu ft freezer about 2 months ago. I was able to fit two 6 gallon glass carboys on the floor with no issue. It is a little tight with only about a 1/2" to spare but it worked. I put a small flask for my blow off tube on the hump along with a heater and circulation fan. So far I have no complaints.

I bought an Idylis 7 cu ft freezer about 2 months ago. I was able to fit two 6 gallon glass carboys on the floor with no issue. It is a little tight with only about a 1/2" to spare but it worked. I put a small flask for my blow off tube on the hump along with a heater and circulation fan. So far I have no complaints.

Thanks guys!

diverpat, would two buckets be too tight? Or a bucket and a carboy? I usually do primary in a bucket and secondary in a carboy.

I just snapped this pick with a 6 gallon carboy and a 5 gallon bucket. Both fit in there just fine. They were not touching the walls or each other but it was close.

H1YeOrD.png

Diverpat what are you using for your temp control? I have a heat belt and 2 stc 1000 but I believe the stc is only rated 10amp not sure what the freezer pulls

Latest posts

Back