Ideas for reducing costs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schlenkerla said:
I was pulling out the rosemary and basil out of the garden a few weeks ago and I found the basil rather awesome smelling. I've always liked the rosemary, I just don't know of anybody who's made a beer with it recently. Rosemary is rather piney smelling. It might be a good Xmas beer.

I wouldn't use rosemary in beer if I were you. My brother used to brew a rosemary porter and while it was drinkable, you could only drink one beer before your were ready for a regular beer. It has a very odd flavor (almost cough syrupish/jaegermister-ish) and definitely requires gettting used to.

STOP EATING OUT.......

Seriously, If I could do that I would have an extra $150.00 a month for homebrew supplies.....God give me the strength.....must ..resist..taco bell.......

Don't forget your LHBS. Its nice to save money, but if they go out of business, it might become way to hard to get some things.

I get all kinds of crap off freecycle that I use. Someone might have a foodsaver they just want out of their house. When I want something I usually post something to give. I find that it helps.

modenacart said:
Don't forget your LHBS. Its nice to save money, but if they go out of business, it might become way to hard to get some things.

I get all kinds of crap off freecycle that I use. Someone might have a foodsaver they just want out of their house. When I want something I usually post something to give. I find that it helps.

"Freecycle" excellent suggestion.

I like to support my LHBS where I can but most of his prices are just too high.

Here's the bottom line for me. I am trading my time for money.
My time = my life.
So I am trading my life away for money and at the end of my life I can't trade that money back for more time. So for me saving money is more than just nice. It allows me to work less, I can turn down overtime or jobs I don't want and be with my family or do other things I enjoy.

For me that's much more important than whether a LHBS stays in business or not.

abracadabra said:
"Freecycle" excellent suggestion.

I like to support my LHBS where I can but most of his prices are just too high.

Here's the bottom line for me. I am trading my time for money.
My time = my life.
So I am trading my life away for money and at the end of my life I can't trade that money back for more time. So for me saving money is more than just nice. It allows me to work less, I can turn down overtime or jobs I don't want and be with my family or do other things I enjoy.

For me that's much more important than whether a LHBS stays in business or not.

That's fairly short sighted. You do trade money for time. More than likely, you don't grow and malt all your own grain, you don't grow all your own hops, and you don't manufacture all your own brewing equipment. You certainly don't mine your own metals and make your own steel. You pay for those products because someone spent the time to do it for you. You pay them for their time, directly or indirectly. You spend some of your money, rather than some of your time, just as you spend some of your time to get some money.

If you couldn't find a LHBS or online HBS to serve you, you might have a problem finding the time. That goes the same for grocery stores, auto mechanics, utility providers, or just about anything else out there.

TL

Search homebrewtalk to see other people's equipment (fly guys 10gallon mash tun, etc.)
-
my plan is to brew 3gallon batches on my stove top in the end I will end up with more varieties of home brew and I will save on propane
-
Check craigslist for equipment (I found 3 carboys for a 30 pack of busch)
-
Im looking in to a hot water heater element for my HLT (please PM me if you can help)
-
Sell homebrew,,,just kidding

TexLaw said:
That's fairly short sighted. You do trade money for time. More than likely, you don't grow and malt all your own grain, you don't grow all your own hops, and you don't manufacture all your own brewing equipment. You certainly don't mine your own metals and make your own steel. You pay for those products because someone spent the time to do it for you. You pay them for their time, directly or indirectly. You spend some of your money, rather than some of your time, just as you spend some of your time to get some money.

If you couldn't find a LHBS or online HBS to serve you, you might have a problem finding the time. That goes the same for grocery stores, auto mechanics, utility providers, or just about anything else out there.

TL

Also known as division of labor...:rockin:

cheezydemon said:
STOP EATING OUT.......

Seriously, If I could do that I would have an extra $150.00 a month for homebrew supplies.....God give me the strength.....must ..resist..taco bell.......
Dude, you're absofreakinlutely right! We spend an a$$load on eating out (at reastaurants :D ) every month. I probably see the SWMBO twice a week for lunch and we'll go out at least once on the weekend for a "nice" (read:expensive) meal.

"Sorry dear, we can't go out to eat, that's at least 2 batches of beer... what do you mean you have a headache?"

mash high for dextrins/body and malty profile and then add sugar to thin the beer to quaffable levels, thats what they did in the old days :)

Reducing Costs (some have prob already been mentioned):

Ingredients:
Brew more low hopped beers and more session beer styles
Brew less big beers or beers with lots of extra ingredients
Plan several months of recipes ahead and buy in bulk
Stick to your plan/budget and don't impulse buy
Filter tap water instead of buying store bought water
Make your own invert or candi sugar
If you end up making more beer than you can drink, either make less beer or make smaller batches
Harvest Yeast
Use dry yeast
Plan appropriately so you can pitch new batch on yeast cake
Strain leftover wort to use for starters

Equipment:
Plan ahead what you need and buy extra of breakable things
(This is mainly true if you shop online. If I end up needing just one thing and have to buy online, I end up buying a bunch of stuff to justify the shipping costs.)
Stick with equipment you need rather than equipment you want
Buy equipment with your future brewing needs in mind (ie if you are going to go to all grain, or larger batches, etc.)

TexLaw said:
That's fairly short sighted. .

TL

Thank you for setting me straight Tex

How foolish of me prefering to spend time with my family and being more concerned with the welfare of my family than the welfare of my LHBS.;)

delboy said:
mash high for dextrins/body and malty profile and then add sugar to thin the beer to quaffable levels, thats what they did in the old days :)

I've often wondered if it would really be the same that way.

abracadabra said:
Thank you for setting me straight Tex

How foolish of me prefering to spend time with my family and being more concerned with the welfare of my family than the welfare of my LHBS.;)

If you were that concerned about your family, you wouldn't spend so much time on this forum. (;) back atcha)

TL

TexLaw said:
If you were that concerned about your family, you wouldn't spend so much time on this forum. (;) back atcha)

TL

Guess what. I'm getting paid to spend time on this forum.:)

cheezydemon said:
STOP EATING OUT.......

Aside from ramen noodles, rice, and pasta what's cheaper than taco bell? I understand avoiding pricier places but unless you're feeding a medium to large family I would have a hard time making food for less than I would spend at taco bell.

craiger_ny said:
And how do you suppose they got the cost out of that? No thanks.

LOL
Can't say as I blame you there. I won't be eating any myself. But some folks love em.

As far a cost goes I believe they are losing money on the deal and think they'll get some of it back when folks order that coca cola for $1.25 that cost them a mere $0.05.

Back