Ideas for kegs in winemaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Disclaimer: First post in the winemaking section and haven't made any wine myself, strictly beer. So I'm not aware of the various stages or procedures that take place between crushing grapes/buying juice and pouring a glass of wine.

What sort of applications would be ideal for using kegs? (either sanke or corny). I have a bunch of kegs from beer making, and would like to utilize them to dabble with winemaking. My mom makes wine every year (about 30 gallons) from the grapes on her property (red, white, rose), but she really doesn't know what she's doing. I'd like to eliminate all her glass carboys for safety, and set up a system where she can use stainless kegs as best possible, and utilize no lift transferring methods like pushing with CO2/racking canes/floating dip tubes, ball lock connections, etc....

Are there various stages of fermentation before serving that would lend themselves ideal for kegs? I'm thinking I can setup a nitrogen serving system so that finished wine can be stored in 1/2 bbl kegs and served off a floating dip tube with a tap handle. Hoping to hear of some other ideas.

Thanks in advance

I store and serve many wines in kegs. Normally, I ferment them, put them in secondary to clear quite a bit (or oak or whatever), then rack to the keg. I just use c02 to push them, and keep the gas off when I don't need to use it. I keep whites in the cellar, and reds next to the kegerator.
Early in fermentation, wine will drop a ton of lees and so I still use my big ale pail for primary, and a carboy for a secondary. Once it stops dropping lees after at least 60 days, I'll put it in the kegs.

Since I often make 6 gallon size batches of wine, I'll usually bottle a few and keg the rest, or do (2) 3 gallon kegs if the wine is just a table wine. I have a pretty decanter that I use at the table.

These are my current reds:
L to R
Pinot noir
Chokecherry blend
Pinot noir and chokecherry blend
Blend of 6 red berries (oaked)
reds.jpg

In carboys, I currently have an oaked blackberry, a high-end tannat/shiraz kit. and a high-end nebbiolo. I'll keg those in about a month or so, but bottle probably a gallon or two from each also.

(I just noticed that the kegerator has drips down it- ignore it and I'll clean it up right now).

Back