Idaho 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soufeastboy

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with using Idaho 7 hops? If so, did you use it in combination or in a single hops recipe? Any suggestions?

Recently made a NEIPA with El Dorado, Idaho 7, and CTZ. Came out real nice.

Also did a Vienna/Idaho 7 SMaSH that was tasty. I'd recommend going the SMaSH route to see how you like it on its own before doing anything more complicated.

I had a Citra/Mosaic/Idaho 7 NEIPA at a new brewery in Portland that was absolutely delicious. I will be brewing my NEIPA with this hop combo today.

I’ve been using it in all my IPAs lately. Love the depth it adds! Wonderful dry hop addition. It reportedly pairs well with citra, and I can confirm that (Brut ipa with about 2 parts citra to 1 part Idaho 7). I’ve also used it alongside citra, azacca, and el dorado in a NEIPA - worked really well. And my latest one was Idaho 7, simcoe, citra, mosaic - incredible.

I made a batch of Da Yooper's pale ale several months ago (my 3rd batch) and used comet hops with an Idaho 7 variety called 007. It was/is my best results so far with the recipe! Fruity as can be, even 8 months after bottling.

I will use them again, but first I need to use up a few pounds of hops I have acquired.

Idaho 7 is great.

Tropical/Orange plus dank/weed

Like great Summit but no onion/garlic

I did and Idaho 7 singlehop last year. 2-row, Vienna, c10. NEIPA style. Easily one of the best beers i’ve done. Love that hop. I think it would pair very well with Citra, El Dorado, or Denali.

I feel like the time i used it it wasnt very potent, just got totally covered up by the other hops. That just a bad experience?

I have a red IPA I used it in currently fermenting that I paired with citra after some research. Based on the description, amarillo seems like a natural pairing as well; lots of orange notes in both.

I feel like the time i used it it wasnt very potent, just got totally covered up by the other hops. That just a bad experience?

I would lean toward yes. It’s pretty darn potent.... At least the stuff I’ve used. Pretty high oil content as well.

Has anyone had success with using Idaho 7 hops? If so, did you use it in combination or in a single hops recipe? Any suggestions?
RYE PALE!!!! I love it my rye pale. Needs a bit of citrus type hop to add the right complexity, but is great. I love it with Amarillo or Centennial. Probably 70/30 in favor of Idaho

I did and Idaho 7 singlehop last year. 2-row, Vienna, c10. NEIPA style. Easily one of the best beers i’ve done. Love that hop. I think it would pair very well with Citra, El Dorado, or Denali.

That sounds intriguing...you mind posting your recipe? I would totally make it.

I had a Idaho 7 single hop ipa at Dark Sky Brewing that was really good ...it’s got me motivated to play with it

I will have to look after April 15th for more specifics, but I believe it was something like:

10 Gallons

1.055OG
80% 2-Row (2L)
15% Vienna
5% C10

Neutral bittering hop (I like Bravo) for ~20 IBU

The rest of the hops were all Idaho 7

2oz @ 10 min
4 oz whirlpool for 20 minutes (below 185)
4 oz whirlpool 10 minutes

Wyeast 1272

Dry hop: 6 oz

Keep the beer as low oxygen as possible. Water balanced toward sulfate over chloride.

I will have to look after April 15th for more specifics, but I believe it was something like:

10 Gallons

1.055OG
80% 2-Row (2L)
15% Vienna
5% C10

Neutral bittering hop (I like Bravo) for ~20 IBU

The rest of the hops were all Idaho 7

2oz @ 10 min
4 oz whirlpool for 20 minutes (below 185)
4 oz whirlpool 10 minutes

Wyeast 1272

Dry hop: 6 oz

Keep the beer as low oxygen as possible. Water balanced toward sulfate over chloride.

Did Idaho 7 ipa today.

2row and little Maris Otter

Torrified wheat and flaked oats

1 oz Idaho 7 60 min
3 oz Idaho 7 at whirlpool

Will dryhop 2 oz.

Really wanted to let the hop shine and see what it brings

I had a commercial brew with a combination of Idaho 7 and Enigma.

https://untappd.com/b/two-roads-brewing-company-shop-series-enigma-and-idaho-7/3031167

I don't know if it was the hops, but to me it tasted like some petroleum products were mixed in.
Until I have another beer with either of these hops that I like, I'll stay away.

I would not use that quality to describe either of those hops. There was something else wrong there. I’ve done single hop beers with both and have not gotten anything close to to “petroleum” from either.

I just did a Zombie Dust, which is very heavy to the Citra Hop. It has always been a neighborhood favorite, and this one I replaced half the citra with Idaho 7. It will be kegged tomorrow, and I am interested to see how the votes come in.

Some Australian and NZ hops can give some diesel/petroleum flavours. I can mention Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, Enigma.

Idaho 7
Origin: USA. Developed by Jackson Hop Farm in Wilder ID, first released in 2015.

Usage: Primarily aroma and dry hopping due to its potent aroma and flavor, but high enough alpha acids to contribute good bitterness. Excellent as a single hop or part of a blend for IPA, pale ale, and hop-forward American wheat beers.

Aroma & Flavor Characteristics: Juicy tropical fruit and citrus (think apricot, orange, red grapefruit, papaya) with big notes of resiny pine and hints of black tea.

Botanical Classification:
Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus
Species: Lupulus

Idaho Gem
Origin: Idaho, USA. A variety from Gooding Farms.

Usage: High levels of sweet, fruit-forward aromatic oils make Idaho Gem ideal for late kettle additions or dry hopping in a wide variety of styles, whether alone or in a blend.

Aroma & Flavor Characteristics: Bright and forward impressions of fruit candy (think Juicy Fruit or Jolly Rancher) supported by citric grapefruit.

Botanical Classification:

Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus
Species: Lupulus

Maturity: Early

Sounds quite a bit different

I’ve got some, been meaning to try it. Have so many new hops to try I haven’t gotten around to it.

@PCL @Zenmeister how'd the beers turn out? I ordered some Idaho 7 yesterday and will brew with it in a couple weeks. Still figuring out my grain bill whether I want to go NEIPA or keep it more American IPA but I'm probably going to pair with Amarillo which I have a bunch that needs to get used.

@PCL @Zenmeister how'd the beers turn out? I ordered some Idaho 7 yesterday and will brew with it in a couple weeks. Still figuring out my grain bill whether I want to go NEIPA or keep it more American IPA but I'm probably going to pair with Amarillo which I have a bunch that needs to get used.

Carbing...Will let you know Sunday!

I’ve been using ID7 in all my NEIPAs - loving it! I think it will work well in any ipa - and Amarillo will pair nicely

I've used it 3x, and I get predominantly pear from Idaho 7. Not a fan for a neipa, but if it's working for you guys, go for it! I think it would be better layered with other hops. I would say in the background.

I’m using it in dry hop only, and it’s about 1/3 of the dry hop bill (using it alongside two others like citra, mosaic, el dorado, azacca)

I used it to keg-dry-hop my House IPA that I can't keep in stock. At first taste, it had a wicked, sharp, acrid flavor. When I let it age a bit and run a couple of beers it got good. After a month in the keg, it was outstanding. I have a pound so will use it. I used it in a beer with Citra, Legacy, and Centennial.

I just kicked a keg of Citra/Mosaic/Idaho 7 NEIPA and here are my impressions:

• Idaho 7 is POTENT. This beer took almost a week longer in the keg to mellow out and hit its stride. I would advise against using Idaho 7 as more than one third of your hop bill, probably better as a dry hop than whirlpool. Basically I'd treat it like Galaxy
  • For flavor, my NEIPA wasn't drastically different than my typical Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy combo, but there is definitely a pine characteristic that I'm getting specifically from Idaho 7. I like it a lot, it works really well with the tropical fruit in Citra/Mosaic and I think Idaho 7 is contributing some tropical fruit as well. Works very well in a NEIPA, but I would be more inclined to use it in a west coast IPA next time.

@PCL , whats the verdict?

Overall happy with Idaho 7 for bittering and flavor. Gave me a nice even bitterness and a ripe fruit with some dankness for flavor. Originally more pineapple but after a week mellowed to more ripe fruit. Everyone who had it liked it a lot.

The dry hop didn’t add a whole lot. I might try next time DH during fermentation but i might DH with citra or Amarillo if that doesn’t give me much

Question for you guys that have used this hop. I’ve been wanting to try and do a small batch SMaSH just using this hop. Does anyone think this is feasible or is it just to potent?

My goal is aiming for a more “west coast” styled IPA. I also want to do the same using mosaic to compare the hops. At this point it sounds like the Idaho7 might not be very drinkable.

I haven’t done a SMASH with it but Ive heard some professional reports that it’s a great SMASH hop

Back