Idaho 7 / Citra IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few oz of Idaho 7 some months back and I've designed a recipe in Beersmith to use them, (and a couple leftover grains as well). I'm looking for comments both pro and con.

5 1/2 - 6 gallons BIAB (my normal batch size, usually enough to keg + a 6pk). Looking for an IPA that's not particularly overly bitter, with some body and depth, but not really categorized as a neipa hazy beer.

10# 2-row
2.5# Vienna Malt
12oz Caramel/crystal 20
4oz Caramel/crystal 90 (leftover)
3.8oz Flaked Barley (leftover)

1oz Idaho 7 - 60 mins.
.5oz Idaho 7 - 0 mins.
.5oz Citra - 0 mins.
1oz Idaho 7 whirlpool @ 170° 20 mins.
.5oz Citra whirlpool @ 170° 20 mins.

US-05 yeast (I even have a 1/2 pkg of dry Nottingham I could throw in to use it up)

1.5oz Idaho 7 dry hop in keg
1.5oz Citra dry hop in keg

Per Beersmith using my equipment profile:
OG of 1.066
ABV 6.8%
Color 7.1 SRM
IBU 39.7

TIA.....

I bought a few oz of Idaho 7 some months back and I've designed a recipe in Beersmith to use them, (and a couple leftover grains as well). I'm looking for comments both pro and con.

5 1/2 - 6 gallons BIAB (my normal batch size, usually enough to keg + a 6pk). Looking for an IPA that's not particularly overly bitter, with some body and depth, but not really categorized as a neipa hazy beer.

10# 2-row
2.5# Vienna Malt
12oz Caramel/crystal 20
4oz Caramel/crystal 90 (leftover)
3.8oz Flaked Barley (leftover)

1oz Idaho 7 - 60 mins.
.5oz Idaho 7 - 0 mins.
.5oz Citra - 0 mins.
1oz Idaho 7 whirlpool @ 170° 20 mins.
.5oz Citra whirlpool @ 170° 20 mins.

US-05 yeast (I even have a 1/2 pkg of dry Nottingham I could throw in to use it up)

1.5oz Idaho 7 dry hop in keg
1.5oz Citra dry hop in keg

Per Beersmith using my equipment profile:
OG of 1.066
ABV 6.8%
Color 7.1 SRM
IBU 39.7

TIA.....
Grain bill wise I personally wouldn’t bother with the c90 and bump the flaked barley to 8 oz if you can. I’d not still will make a good beer but the c90 can provide that almost raisin flavor that I feel is better reserved from ambers and stouts.

How prevalent do you like the hop character? I see you’re not looking for a NEIPA but are you still for a bold hop profile? I personally would bump the citra whirlpool addition. Idaho 7 is very potent on the hotside. I would lean more to a 1.5 to 1 ratio of citra to I7

Thanks @Dgallo I've seen many pics of your beers and read the descriptions. They always look and sound phenomenal so I'm definitely taking notice of your recommendations. My main reason for adding the c90 was for color. I make a nice pale ale with the same % of 2-row, Vienna, and c20. Since I like it I wanted to start with that but bump up the color (c90) and mouthfeel, (flaked barley). At 1.7% of the grain bill the c90 adds the color depth I'm looking for. Would that low % give a perceivable "raisiny" flavor? If so then I absolutely wouldn't want it. In that case would there be a better alternative to give me the color without that taste?

Also, your suggestion of 1.5 to 1 ratio Citra to I7 - is that strictly in the whirlpool, or across the board?

Thanks again....

Thanks @Dgallo I've seen many pics of your beers and read the descriptions. They always look and sound phenomenal so I'm definitely taking notice of your recommendations. My main reason for adding the c90 was for color. I make a nice pale ale with the same % of 2-row, Vienna, and c20. Since I like it I wanted to start with that but bump up the color (c90) and mouthfeel, (flaked barley). At 1.7% of the grain bill the c90 adds the color depth I'm looking for. Would that low % give a perceivable "raisiny" flavor? If so then I absolutely wouldn't want it. In that case would there be a better alternative to give me the color without that taste?

Also, your suggestion of 1.5 to 1 ratio Citra to I7 - is that strictly in the whirlpool, or across the board?

Thanks again....
If you want c90 for the color your aiming for that’s fine. The hops may over shadow the 4 oz flavor. You could also see if what color contribution 1lb of caramunich (25L) would add in place of one of the lbs of Vienna.

I personally would use that throughout but I am also very found of citra.

Idaho 7 is a great hop but it’s not bright in citrus notes, more dank and earthy. I believe a slightly higher citrus/tropical note that citra provides makes it pop

Back