Idaho 7 and Ariana Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday, I'll be brewing up an American IPA featuring two new-ish hops that I've not used before: Idaho 7 and Ariana. I'll serve four or five gallons of it in a pin cask and when I rack the beer into the cask, I'll throw a bag of both of these hops into it, so it should have a ton of fresh hop aroma when we tap the cask.

Anyone used Idaho 7 or Ariana before? I haven't come up with the recipe yet, but expect I'll do a FWH with some Chinook, then start throwing the new hops in somewhere around the 20 minute mark until flameout, then dry hop, then cask hop.

Ariana is a German hop:

At the other end of the scale, with total alpha acids between 10-13% and a much higher cohumulone of 42, Ariana will appeal to brewers looking for very different characteristics from a hop, but one that results in a similar flavor profile. In Ariana raw hops, you will pick up black currants, peaches, pears and tropical fruit notes. Depending upon the style of beer brewed and timing of the addition of the hops, brewers have noticed grapefruit, gooseberry, citrus and vanilla flavors. Ariana is said to be ideal for dry hopping, when it imparts its most intense fruity flavors. With a high yield and late maturity, this variety will fit nicely into growers’ picking schedules.

Idaho 7:

In the glass, I got a punchy, strong fruity (pineapple, unripe peach, citrus pith) nose component with a bit of honey-biscuit business from the malt and yeast. Flavor – at least with this formulation – seemed to break more sweet-pine and brightly resinous with some clementine-like flashes before a waxy, bitter finish – a little caramel malt would have helped round that off (but if you’re into bitter and not just hoppy – if it ain’t broke … ). There seem to be occasional flashes of the black tea alluded to in other descriptions, but it’s the fruity, aromatic high notes of a fresh bag of Darjeeling or a tippy bright Assam, not the woodsy, earthy flavor of steeped leaves.

Idaho 7 seems like a great multifaceted hop along the lines of Mosaic, with different strong but not totally dominant aspects of its sensory profile. Like Mosaic, I think it would make a great solo feature hop but depending on what it was partnered with in a blend could play up its various qualities to nice effect in a range of styles.

Love to hear people's experiences and thoughts on these two hops.

I purchased the Idaho 7 after hearing Jamil Z. on a recent podcast talking about how he's refusing to buy propriety hops these days, and having the sellers upsell him, when hops like Idaho 7 are available.

I have had a brew with Idaho 7 in Burlington VT a few weeks back. Zero Gravity Brewing made a DIPA called Choice make good. Could not directly identify the hop, but what a fantastic brew.

I am curious to hear what you come up with and read the report.

I have had a brew with Idaho 7 in Burlington VT a few weeks back. Zero Gravity Brewing made a DIPA called Choice make good. Could not directly identify the hop, but what a fantastic brew.

I am curious to hear what you come up with and read the report.

I read someone who compared it to Mosaic, a hop that I've used in IPAs, including two that won medals. We'll see!

I'm using some Ariana to drop hop with on a APA. Bittering with some Callista hops. Haven't used either before so should be interesting. Let us know how yours comes out.

Hit my numbers spot on today (148F mash, 5 gallons volume, 1.060 OG) - victory! The recipe was:

12 lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs Munich 10L
0.5 lbs Caramel 75L
0.5 oz Chinook 9% AA FWH 60
0.5 oz Idaho 7 14% AA 15, 10 and 5
0.5 oz Ariana 12 % AA 15, 10 and 5
Irish Moss
US-05

Will cask condition this and throw an ounce or so of each hop into a muslin bag and into the cask as it conditions. This is for an annual picnic for a homebrew club. The Idaho 7 hops smelled terrific, really vibrant and over-the-top. The Ariana seemed more restrained but that might have been the comparison.

Definitely interested in tasting notes. Also if you happen to take any pics of the cask setup, I'd love to check it out.

Thread necromancy! ARISE!

I just saw Idaho 7 in my local shop and did a bit of searching and...well now I'm here. Anyway, it sounds like an interesting hop, has anyone tried doing a single hop pale with it? I was thinking that my next batch I might do just that, as Idaho 7 sounds like my kind of hop and I'd like from a flavor perspective and I'd like to isolate it to get a better idea of its flavors and aromas.

Back