Experimental Hop #6277 IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago, while shopping for hops, I came across #6277 (so designated because it’s not been determined to be commercially viable yet and named) and bought a package of it. John at Farmhouse Brewing Supply seems to often have small amounts of these experimental hops available - one of the reasons I buy hops from him.

This spring, Hugh and I brewed an American-style IPA featuring good ‘ol #6277 and recently tapped our keg of it. We’re really enjoying this beer and the hops are particularly interesting. Unlike many of the popular American hops, #6277 does not give a big hit of citrus or have a juicy quality to it. Rather, I perceive it as having a predominantly minty, pine, and wood quality, with an undercurrent of mild lemon.

A high alpha acid hop, at 13.9%, we started throwing the hops in at 20 minutes until the end of the boil and it seems to give a clean and not harsh bittering.

In our beer, the hops flavor is more in-your-face than its aroma, but that could also be because of our relatively modest dry-hopping, where we used one ounce. I find that this beer is less one-dimensional in its hop character than many single-hop beers, although to be clear this isn’t technically a single-hop beer - we used a small amount of Pacific Jade to add clean and soft bittering at the beginning of the boil. In any case, #6277 seems to give a more complex hop flavor profile than many American hops.

I think this would be an interesting hop to add to the hop schedule in a big, dank American Double IPA - one of those big beers that reminds you of walking through a dark, wet forest.

Here’s the recipe for the beer we made:

Grain Bill
Pale Malt 81.5%
Victory Malt 7.4%
Wheat Malt 7.4%
Caramel 60L 3.7%

Hop Schedule
0.5 oz Pacific Jade, 12% AA, @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz #6277, 13% AA, @ 20 minutes
0.5 oz #6277, @ 15 minutes
1.0 oz #6277, @ 10 minutes
1.0 oz #6277, @ 5 minutes
1.0 oz #6277 dry hopping

Other
Safale US-05 Yeast
Irish Moss

The Numbers
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV: 6.3%
Estimated IBUs: 76.4
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM

Process
Single Infusion Mash, Batch Sparge, 150F
Brewed at the CHAOS Brewhouse
Primary Fermentation for one month @ 65F
Dry hopped for seven days
Transferred and cold crashed @ 40F for three weeks
Kegged with priming sugar and allowed to naturally carb in the keg for three weeks.

20160613_151120__1_.jpg

Put this up on my blog, too, at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=experimental-hop-6277-ipa

It's officially named Denali now.

Nice write up Pappers. I like reading these types of posts/blogs. Nice to have multiple perspectives on new varieties so when the rest of us try them we have some idea going in.

I have a pound of these #06277/NuggetZilla/Denali in the freezer I keep meaning to try. I repackaged them when I got them and noticed lots of pineapple, pine, and resin in the aroma.

Brulosophy did a write up on them as well http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/25/the-hop-chronicles-denali-aka-hopsteiner-06277/

The oil content of that hop is so high at 4-6% that really a 1oz dry hop is like a 2-4oz dry hop of other varities.

It's officially named Denali now.

Nice write up Pappers. I like reading these types of posts/blogs. Nice to have multiple perspectives on new varieties so when the rest of us try them we have some idea going in.

I have a pound of these #06277/NuggetZilla/Denali in the freezer I keep meaning to try. I repackaged them when I got them and noticed lots of pineapple, pine, and resin in the aroma.

Brulosophy did a write up on them as well http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/25/the-hop-chronicles-denali-aka-hopsteiner-06277/

The oil content of that hop is so high at 4-6% that really a 1oz dry hop is like a 2-4oz dry hop of other varities.

Thanks for the update, I didn't know it had been named, that's great. And thanks for the link to Brulosophy's writeup!

I've done a similar experiment and will add my results to your thread rather than starting new. I like OP's recipe format and am trying to duplicate that.

My recipe for 10.5 gallons into the fermentors:

Grain Bill
78% 2-row
14% Maris Otter
8% US C20

Hop Schedule
2 mL hop extract at 60min
2oz Exp 6227 13.9% at 15min
4oz Exp 6227 in whirlpool (chill at turn off, add hops, hold at 180F for 30 min)
4oz Exp 6227 dry hop 7 days

Yeast
half with US-05 - 1/2 cup slurry, first generation from recent APA
half with yeast cultured from Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn

The Numbers
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.010 (both yeasts ended up at same FG)
ABV: 5.9%
Estimated IBUs: 55.0 (Rager)
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM

Process
Single Infusion Mash, Fly Sparge, 154F
Primary Fermentation for two weeks at 66F
Dry hopped for 6 days
Transferred and cold crashed @ 40F for 2 days
Fined with gelatin on second day of cold crash
Force carbed at 35PSI 24 hours then at serving pressure (12 PSI @40F)

It is very young and just barely carbed today. I tasted the US05 version first. In a week or so when Carb is done and any green flavors have settled out I will try side by side of the two different yeasts.

I like the hop but don't get the citrus Brulosopher got or the Pine/Mint mentioned by @Pappers_

I do get aroma and flavors including pineapple and berry. Perhaps blackberry or blueberry but not strawberry or raspberry. Will edit this post and add a picture in a few more days. Clean bitterness consistent with the calculated 55 IBU.

img_1310-67348.jpg

After 5 days carbonation. Side by side US05 vs cultured Other Half Brewing yeast. OHB is shorter pour somewhat hazy. But may be because we have been drinking the 05 for a few days may have cleared better. Flavor is same. Doubt could pick out in blind triangle test but will see. Both versions are somewhat hazy compared to other beers Ive done with this recipe and procedure (gelatin fining + cold crash before kegging). Possibly the high hop oils?

Last edited:
I just got my hands on some Denali hops. I am planning on brewing an APA with Chinook and Denali and fermenting with wlp007. After primary is completed I plan to brew an american barley wine using Chinook and Denali hops again and will rack the wort right on top of the APA yeast cake. Ive been reading other people getting aromas of pineapple and passion fruit as well with this hop.

Back