Icy Mugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
Is it better to serve beer in room temp glasses or frozen?

I think frozen

Frozen mugs can cause excessive foaming, but chilled mugs to the temp of the beer being served is the way to go.

I second this. But for me, I'm lazy and pour into a room temp glass.

I've been meaning to get a better collection of beer glasses for specific types (not sure if it makes much of a difference) but if there's one thing I have too many of in my kitchen, it's glasses. The boring kind.

There is a sign posted in the pub I frequent. FWIW......

"Frosted Mugs are for Amateurs"

Keep in mind these are not my sentiments, but those of the pub owner.

I do find, however, frozen mugs make pours more difficult.

I used to keep pint glasses in the freezer for IPAs, pales, etc. Then I started brewing and learning more about carbonation, nucleation points, etc. Now I never pour into a frozen glass. But, I don't look down on people who do, it's all personal preference.

I saw a similar sign which bought this up

The bartender said frozen mugs only good for the fizzy yellow stuff

Than at another, they only use frozen.

I usually start with a frozen then get lazy and reuse it

I usually rinse the glass with cold water before each pour, sometimes i fill with water and add ice to prechill the glass depends on how lazy I feel

Oh and if I'm drinking a Guinness out of the widget cans at home I will freeze the glass first

I find it funny when the bartender pulls a glass out of the freezer and stands in front of the tap to pour out 2-3 beers of foam. it must make them happy when I ask for another and say use the same glass. most bars (not brew pubs etc.) don't even know how to balance their draft systems. There is a lot of wasted beer, kinda like my 99 degree garage and fridge tap system, takes a couple of pours before the tap cools off enough:)

Depends on whether you enjoy the flavor of beer ;)

This^^^

Next time you meet a person that says they love a frozen mug with flecks of ice floating in the beer showing that beer is really, really cold, ask they if they genuinely like beer?

My mom (martini drinker) told me just this and I flat out asked her if she truly liked beer. Her answer was no I don't. Your dad wanted me to have an occasional beer sitting on the deck with him, and the only way I could tolerate it was as described. Icy cold killed most of the flavors so I could drink it that way.

I'm the ass who stops the bartender who is reaching for a frozen mug and asks him to find a room temp glass. The beer in most bars is already far too cold for the styles I like to chill it further in a frozen mug.

Same here, if I miss it I'll just ask them to reuse the same glass.

I generally use room temperature glasses. The frozen mug thing seems like a lot of effort that puts the beer in an extremely short lived state that by all accounts doesn't really improve the enjoyment of the beverage anyway.

This^^^

Next time you meet a person that says they love a frozen mug with flecks of ice floating in the beer showing that beer is really, really cold, ask they if they genuinely like beer?

My mom (martini drinker) told me just this and I flat out asked her if she truly liked beer. Her answer was no I don't. Your dad wanted me to have an occasional beer sitting on the deck with him, and the only way I could tolerate it was as described. Icy cold killed most of the flavors so I could drink it that way.

Exactly. Drink your beer out of whatever you want but just know that, generally speaking, if you are drinking from a frosted mug, you are losing flavor. Yes, drinking an icy BMC on a hot day is refreshing but if you are drinking your IPAs at 33 degrees, you're wasting beer.

Exactly. Drink your beer out of whatever you want but just know that, generally speaking, if you are drinking from a frosted mug, you are losing flavor. Yes, drinking an icy BMC on a hot day is refreshing but if you are drinking your IPAs at 33 degrees, you're wasting beer.

But, but-the mountains have to turn blue! Oh, wait...

I'm the ass who stops the bartender who is reaching for a frozen mug and asks him to find a room temp glass. The beer in most bars is already far too cold for the styles I like to chill it further in a frozen mug.

I'm the same way. Before ordering, I'll ask the server if the glasses are chilled or not. Embarrasses the sh** out of my wife, though. She can't take me out in public anywhere. :D

One exception: I do enjoy fizzy yellow lawnmower beer in a chilled glass on a hot day. You can't taste that stuff, anyway.

My buddy and I went to the local Twin Peaks and they advertise how cold the beer is and pour in ice cold mugs. I mean to the point that you have a chunk of ice floating in your glass.

I asked the bartender if she could take a few mugs out of the freezer and run some water over them. She forgot, I didn't, and never went back.

Ice is good for margaritas but leave it out of my beer and scotch, please.

I've been asked if I'd like my beer in a frosty mug a few times, I usually ask if they have one at room temp and get a sideways look in return to which I usually respond "never mind". It's not that big of a deal. One time it smelled like straight up chlorine, she said that's all they had. I asked if they had an unchilled one, she said "yea but it's not cold". "That'll be fine". Most restaurants don't know how to make the most of a beer, I don't go in with high expectations so it usually doesn't bother me.

I don't buy beer from bars or restaurants.
1) Number one reason is it's too expensive. And I know how much it costs for a 12 pk at the beer/wine store. So I always get buyers remorse.

2) Typically the restaurants don't know how to treat the beer and I am always ALWAYS disappointed in what I end up getting.
If I'm in a particularly feisty mood I'll send it back and demand they take it off my bill.

I don't buy beer from bars or restaurants.
1) Number one reason is it's too expensive. And I know how much it costs for a 12 pk at the beer/wine store. So I always get buyers remorse.

2) Typically the restaurants don't know how to treat the beer and I am always ALWAYS disappointed in what I end up getting.
If I'm in a particularly feisty mood I'll send it back and demand they take it off my bill.

It's amazing how many "beer bars" poorly treat their beers. I've received weird looks when asking for a glass too many times to count at places that are supposedly amazing beer bars.

I often find that to be the case.

CSB: Once, in a Red Lobster, I ordered a beer (Lagunitas IPA, IIRC), and asked for a room-temp glass. The ditsy girl came back with the beer and a frozen glass. Before I could stop her, she set the glass on the table, completely inverted the bottle over the glass, dumping its contents straight in. The beer erupted all over the table. Poor girl was turning red from embarrassment and people in the room were staring. She informed me that she was brand new to the job, and she promptly cleaned up the table. I had her bring another beer and a non-chilled glass. I insisted on pouring it myself and showed her a proper pour.
/CSB

I remember one time I asked my Uncle what kind of beer he liked, as I was going to brew something for him. He responded: "cold". :)

At least I knew the pressure was off for making a good brew that batch.

That said, there are times that I do use frosty mugs - usually after a long day of working out in the sun, or maybe after a long bike ride or run. But, as others have said, it all comes down to personal preference.

i have some frozen mugs in the freezer, for downing those lighter beers on a hot day but in general, i'm a room temp glass guy. i don't really have a lot of space in the fridge for glasses plus i just know i'd forget to put a warm one in there when i take a cold one out.

Come to think of it, I have a huge tankard that I got from the Movie Tavern. The thing is like 44 ounces I think. If I ever drink homebrew out of that I might want to freeze it first just because it'll take me so long to get through it.

I never use frozen mugs. Until recently all of my glasses were at room temp. Now that I have a side by side unit converted to a kegerator/fermentation chamber, I keep my pint glasses in the door shelves of the fermentation chamber (fridge side). If there are beers fermenting in there, then it's usually around 60-66 degrees. So they are slightly cooler than room temps and you can tell by the touch, but they are not overly cold. Otherwise, just room temps. :mug:

Back