IBU's from whirlpool/hapstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I have found many threads and articles on this topic but they are all pretty old. I just wanted to see if there is any more recent info out there about how to calculate the ibu's from a whirlpool/hopstand. Anybody been keeping up with this topic?

Brewer's Friend has a pull-down menu that includes calculations for hopstand and whirlpool. It also links to its own FAQ page. The accumulated wisdom seems to be that hopstand or whirlpool additions give a smoother bitterness and superior aroma and flavor, at the cost of requiring much more hops.

I tried to calculate it once and it was way off. Now I just call it a 5 min addition in Beersmith and that seems close enough. I do it to compliment a FWH and 20 min addition so I'm not relying on the whirlpool IBUs, just doing it for flavor/aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I tried to calculate it once and it was way off. Now I just call it a 5 min addition in Beersmith and that seems close enough. I do it to compliment a FWH and 20 min addition so I'm not relying on the whirlpool IBUs, just doing it for flavor/aroma.

This. I even use a 1 minute calculation instead of messing with the beersmith settings. Its the perception of bitterness that is different. Even if it gave 30 IBU, it will be different that a 20 minute addition of 30 IBU and certainly a 60 minute.

I was wondering about while trying to formulate an IPA recipe in Beersmith. So if I do a big hopstand/whirlpool on top of an already 60 IBU beer and beersmith tells me its gone up to 90 due to the hop stand you guys think it wont become too bitter?

Depending on what IBU equation you're using. 5 minutes in Tinseth is about the same as 1 minute in Rager. I use Rager and set 30 minute hopstand as 1 minute boil. That seems right to my palette anyway.

I was wondering about while trying to formulate an IPA recipe in Beersmith. So if I do a big hopstand/whirlpool on top of an already 60 IBU beer and beersmith tells me its gone up to 90 due to the hop stand you guys think it wont become too bitter?

Doesn't sound too bitter to me. It's an ever moving target, but I believe not too long ago Mitch Steele was recommending 1/2 IBUs from early boiling and half from late and whirlpool hops

I don't think it will be too bittter, even a huge, times 2 hopstand whirlpool would not be too bitter IMO, more flavor than anything...taste is an individual thing though, can't say I've everhad an "overhopped" IPA FWIW.

Thanks guys. I'll take both of those replies into consideration for my recipe design. Definitely want to try some of these post boil techniques this summer.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Make a guess and brew, if it turns out less bitter than expected, lower the mins you assigned to the hop stand. If it seems too bitter, up the mins assigned to the hop stand for the next time. It will be a good beer either way.

Back