I want to use 1 lbs of Columbus leaf hops...what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
As the title says, I have 1 pound of 2012 Columbus leaf hops in the deep freezer that are not going to get used unless I make a special recipe to use them in.

though I'm not a big fan of the flavor of columbus they might make a pretty tasty DIPA, especially if I dry hop with Cascades as well.

thoughts on a recipe that uses at least 10 oz of whole leaf Columbus hops?

I was thinking for a 5.5 gallon batch:
13 lb 2-row
1 lb C-60
1 lb cane sugar
0.5 lb flaked barley (head retention/body)

1 oz Columbus @ 45
1 oz Columbus @ 30
1 oz Columbus @ 10
5 oz Columbus @ flame out
2oz Columbus Dry Hop
2 oz Cascade Dry Hop

OG: 1.081
FG: 1.014
9.0% ABV
77 IBU

Thoughts?

That's a lot of leaves. Sounds good though, I've had success with hop bursting but I've never used Columbus for it.

If you don't like Columbus then using 10 oz seems like you're not going to be happy with your beer. That's just me.

I'd probably do something like that but for that big a beer I'd up the bittering - i'd shoot for 180+ calculated IBUs - and back off on the crystal malt. I've done something similar, mashed at 148 - oh and be sure to adjust for the lost wort!

I love Columbus myself...

Steve da sleeve

I made a Columbus pale SMaSH. It was 3 gallons BIAB. 75% two row and 25% two row toasted at 275 degrees for 45 minutes. I liked it.

It only used .5 oz. of Columbus pellet hops, so you would be looking at about 96 gallons to use your pound.

If you don't like Columbus then using 10 oz seems like you're not going to be happy with your beer. That's just me.

I'll drink it. To me Columbus just tastes harsh and a bit grassy compared to my go to IPA hops, Centennial, Citra and Cascade.

I may end up brewing it for my cousin who loves any and all IPA's.

I've done a 5 gallon IPA SMaSH a couple times with 6 ounces of columbus pellets. 16 oz of leaf might be overdoing it a little, but I think it'll be great. Those IPAs have been two of my best beers, I love Columbus as a solo hop.

Latest posts

Back