I want to do a RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I've never brewed a Russian Imperial Stout so it's about time I tried one. I would like to try an HBT member's original recipe that nails the style for my first attempt.

I brew 10 gallon all grain. What are your favorite HBT member original RIS recipes?

I'm going to be brewing the Stone RIS recipe that was in BYO (i think) on sunday. Thinking of taking 2 gal of it and adding cocoa, vanilla bean, and coffee to make it a breakfast stout.

What sort of RIS do you want? The style has a huge range, from English to American and 8%-18% ABV, all sorts of adjuncts etc...

I'm not a huge fan of HUGE beers, but I want something that fits within the style. I'd say something that is low end of the OG and finishing fairly low so it isn't overly sweet would be my preference. And probably high end of the IBU range, but not real hoppy. As for other characteristics, I'm totally open. I haven't tried many though, so I don't have a real preference.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I'm reading up on these ... might have some more questions later.

Back