I used two yeasts, what's going to happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundlingOfDollar

Reaction score
First of all, I know, RDWHAHB. I intend to drink the result, and I think it will still be quite good, I just am curious what people think will happen.

I made a quick batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. I haven't brewed since my son was born 6 months ago, so I want to get something quick and easy going. Perhaps due to the haste, or too much time out in the sun gardening today, I somehow pitched two dry yeasts into my apfelwein. One was a Safale 05, the other was Red Star Montrachet.

Obviously containing both an ale yeast and a wine yeast this will turn out more cider-y than my previous batches. I am curious to hear which yeast you feel will dominate? Will the Safale being the more aggressive strain outreproduce the Montrachet (which always seems to be a bit slower to reproduce) and dominate the batch, or will the higher attenuation of the Montrachet (at least in my view it seems to produce a very dry end product) ensure that it goes pretty dry and has more if a wine flavor? Or will some completely different third option happen (i.e. the two yeasts interact, form a sentient life form, and the batch kills me in my sleep)?

I think since they both are fermenting at the same time, when it comes to yeast flavor profile, you'll get some of both, but it will taste more like the montrachet yeast in the end, because that's the one that's going to dry it out the most.

The Montrachet will win, it has a positive competitive factor and will kill the beer yeast. Montrachet also tends to through a LOT of sulphur so don't be surprised if it has a stink during fermentation. I have startered using 1118 instead of Montrachet.

Back