I use ? for my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I am getting ready to go to the lhbs in a few hours and get the grain for my 1st ag brew. I am using brewtarget to make my first pils recipe, and since I have never used my setup what do i use for efficiency? Should I guess and say 70%, or should i use the % that my lhbs gets since he is crushing my grain? I want to be close cause I am using centeniel hops for the whole thing(hey its what i grow) and 5% seems to make a difference between a slightly hoppy and a very hoppy brew, at least according to brewtarget.

I think that the guess of 70 percent seems pretty accurate. I have settled into the high seventies now, but I was pretty close to 70 at the beginning, give or take. Of course you may have a lot more attention to detail, get lucky or have a better set up than I did.

doin my first all grain in a few hours, i'm using 65% as my target. That way, if I am more efficient, the only result is a higher ABV

Up to you, but my personal preference would be to assume a slightly lower efficiency (perhaps 62-65%), purely because when it comes out different to prediction I am usually happy with a slightly stronger than planned beer but disappointed with a weaker than planned beer! Good luck!

Doesn't really matter what % you plan for, take a pre-boil gravity reading and you will know what your efficiency was and can adjust your hop quantities to get your desired IBU.

Back