I think I'm hooked on BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnaclebob

Reaction score
Did my first BIAB this weekend after about 5-6 batches of traditional all grain brewing. I think I'm going to stick with BIAB from now on. Its so much easier and I think I get a higher efficiency due to squeezing the bag and a tighter crush. Mash temp also is more consistent due to having more thermal mass.

I did forget to mash out but that's probably not a huge deal

Certainly less gear to buy and to clean on brewday. I have done it both ways (vast majority BIAB). If I ever build a brew room at our cabin, I would probably go full mash/lauter setup. But have no immediate plans to do so, as I too am hooked on BIAB.

In my simple (mis?)understanding of the process, there is no need to mash out in BIAB brewing. Mashing out stops the process of conversion for the sparging process and BIAB accomplishes the same thing by hoisting the bag out of the wort.

In the last year and a half I've done almost 150 gallons BIAB. I've never done a traditional mash - and I see no reason or benefit over BIAB.

There was a brewing TV episode a couple years ago about Jake's 3 gallon BIAB setup, it seemed really simple 3 gallons for him was just about right where he could keep brewing and the pipeline wouldn't get backed up. Small enough that he could do it all right on his stove, and at that size you could probably get away without making a starter for most beers that aren't super high gravity.

Here it is

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6WVul6IEKk[/ame]

I started doing traditional all grain and sparging, and when I finally gave BIAB a shot after 20 batches or so the other way, WOW, no way am I going back. My beers came out BETTER by switching to BIAB. I've only been brewing for a little over a year, so I'm no expert by any means, but the time savings alone make this method the way to go for me.

I've only done a couple of batches but I also think I'm hooked. On weekends that I'm not brewing I find myself wondering how to improve my process. This past weekend I received a yoga mat from ebay (6 bucks shipped) and used it to insulate my kettle in the hopes of maintaining a better mash temp. I'm really looking for ward to brewing a pale ale this weekend for my 3rd BIAB.

kettle_jack.jpg

I've only done a couple of batches but I also think I'm hooked. On weekends that I'm not brewing I find myself wondering how to improve my process. This past weekend I received a yoga mat from ebay (6 bucks shipped) and used it to insulate my kettle in the hopes of maintaining a better mash temp. I'm really looking for ward to brewing a pale ale this weekend for my 3rd BIAB.

My wife had me try yoga and I must say that yours is the absolute best application of yoga mat in history :ban:

Back