i REALLY didn't want to ask...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmanbt

Reaction score
...and look like a total noob.

I'm currently fermenting a Two Hearted Ale Clone using WLP0001 yeast. It started fermenting after 48 hours. The next day it was spewing beer into my airlock (and i use a bucket). Had good bubbling for the following 3-4 days. I am approaching day 14, and have been at 5 second airlock bubble intervals for about the past 7 days. I know you need to check the grav to see if it is done. But it obviously isn't done. Is my brew not going to be so clean with this slow drop-off of fermenting? Smells good through the airlock, was a bit fruity/hoppy before, now a bit more alcohol-y.

Odds are, it's done. Your airlock can make bubbles for a good long time after fermentation ends. Weeks even. That just means there's CO2 leaving the fermenter. Changes in temperature or air pressure can do that. Someone stomping on the floor in the next apartment can do that. Take a sample and check the gravity and see where it's at.

Gravity is the True Arbiter. If it's in the teens or lower, chances are really good it's done.

Yep, measure that puppy!

Out of curiosity, are you brewing a kit or did you find a recipe somewhere? I ask because I brewed Northern Brewer's "Three-Hearted Ale" a while back...I give that recipe a B+.

It's a recipe that I got at my LHBS. They have a 3 ring binder of all kinds of brew clones. I went and got the rest of my gear before I had time to research what I really wanted to make and they led me over to "the book".

Recipe:
7lbs DME/8.4 lbs LME
1 lb crystal 10L
4 oz centennial hops
WL001 yeast

Place crystal in cold water and bring up to 160 and hold for 10 mins. remove

Add extract and add hops for 60, 20, and 5 mins.

Pitch at approx 80, ferment 67-72

dry hop w 1 oz centennial in secondary for 7 days

^^(that's the step i'm about to make...do you think a week is a bit long?)
prime sugar in 1 cup water.

I have been fermenting at an even 70 for 2 weeks.

Take a gravity reading, then we will go from there. A week dryhopped in secondary doesn't sound too long at all. If your gravity is at 1.019 or less, now would be a good time to go to secondary.

If you're not sure, an extra week in primary won't hurt. For most of my beers, I ferment for 3 weeks, then rack directly to keg. I usually remember to take a gravity reading, but more for checking attenuation than "done-ness".

EXCELLENT!, now check it in 2 days and if it hasn't moved, go to the next step. If it has moved, wait another week or two.

Or if it hasn't moved, go ahead and wait another week anyway. It'll do your beer good if you can handle the wait.

yeah right. this is my first beer. it's getting into the pipeline, people. i'll make notes to let it sit next time if i'm not satisfied. but I NEED SOME BEER!

I know where you can get some beer. And they all come with free bottles to put your homebrew into when you're done with 'em. :D

If you need beer in your pipeline brew a wheat, and you can be drinking it on the 9th day from a keg, on the 20th day from a bottle.

Back