I picked a good day to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewtherooster

Reaction score
Expected high of 106 with 30% humidity. I just started my 90 minute boil outside. "Why not brew inside?" you might ask. That's simple: no a/c. This has got to be the hottest summers I can remember here in Michigan, and we're only in the first week of July. Good lord. Fortunately my basement's about 80 degrees right now, which will work for this saison. Anyone else toughing out this heat (and risking fate) for a brew?

I don't envy you right now hahaha. Last year I brewed my annual x-mas ale on the hottest day of the year (103) and it was miserable. I really need to get a brew going soon to keep the pipeline steady, but I just can't convince myself to brew when it's this hot.

Last weekend it was 95 or so and felt even hotter. I decided it was time to not only brew a beer but to smoke a chicken while I was doing so. Well, the chicken was good, I managed to finish the beer and ferment it at the right temps and I did not die. Although I was really, really hot...

I brewed on Wednesday the 4th, not too bad the basement brew room was about 70 when I started and about 78 when I finished. Hotter than I ever remember it being here in west MI. It is just not right.

30% humidity? That's dry. It's 106* and 30% humidity here in Phoenix today, and I'm relatively happy. My last brew day as 110* outside. 104* at 9PM when i finished up

I also brewed on Wednesday the 4th. The temp in my garage where I brewed was about 95°! Had two fans blasting me and was chugging Gatorade the entire time! LOL!

30% humidity? That's dry. It's 106* and 30% humidity here in Phoenix today, and I'm relatively happy. My last brew day as 110* outside. 104* at 9PM when i finished up

Hmm, I guess I was under the impression that 30% humidity at 106 was pretty high. Any way, we're not too used to this heat in Michigan, hence most of these old houses in my neighborhood having no a/c. Makes a heat index of 110 pretty unbearable when you can't conveniently escape it.

I brewed last saturday. At night. It was 104 that day I think, but in the 80s once the sun sat. I always brew after dinner/sunset cuz the flame makes so much heat. Keeps me warm in the winter.

It's been 93 to 99 here. And no A/C since the blower is fubar...& inside the furnace. Sweatin my butt of soakin som dirty dry bottles in hot water & rinsing & bryshing others in a hot kitchen. Whew!

We've been over 100F and 50%+ RH here. I brewed a few days ago, mash temp didn't drop at all and the water heated up in a hurry too. I see we're supposed to get some relief come Sunday.

I'm enjoying my ground source heat pump right now, just hoping for no electrical outages.

I plan to brew on Sunday it's supposed to be a brisk 94 here in STL which I hate to will be nice since we are on day 9 of 100+ temps

Yeah,I guess 82 is better than 97. But dang,that makes the house even hotter yet. Hot,hot,hotter than hell! Burn ya like the miday sun!

f82799c7.jpg

Lolz. Now I know where all our cool went. I saw a video a while ago where this landscaper in Alaska had huge mountains of snow & ice piled up with some dirt. Toook up much needed space fpr big piles of landscaping materials. Hard to believe they have that problem in summer. Must be further north.
Lookin forward to getting all this brewery clean up done. Got half a bottle of vodka & some home brews for later!...

It's currently 94 degrees here with 52% humidity. Only the bedroom has AC. I just milled my grains for tomorrow's barleywine (by handcrank on my corona, of course), and am now furiously sucking down this homebrew hefeweizen radler. So much sweat.

First thing in the morning it's not to bad but during the day you can probably just leave your mash tun in the sun to get to the 150 range.

Expected high of 106 with 30% humidity. I just started my 90 minute boil outside. "Why not brew inside?" you might ask. That's simple: no a/c. This has got to be the hottest summers I can remember here in Michigan, and we're only in the first week of July. Good lord. Fortunately my basement's about 80 degrees right now, which will work for this saison. Anyone else toughing out this heat (and risking fate) for a brew?

Nope. I'm holding off until Sunday (and mid 80° temps) before I go back outside and brew another batch. I love brewing, but that's just too much to bear.

Nope. I'm holding off until Sunday (and mid 80° temps) before I go back outside and brew another batch. I love brewing, but that's just too much to bear.

Yep I'm holding off until tomorrow also...was planning today but no sense being miserable doing something for enjoyment. The humidity is worse today and they are calling for 115 heat index a little later, here in central Indiana.
Stay cool everyone!

I have brewed plenty of batches at 100+ and humid as hell, but that's south Texas for you. Not a big deal when your used to it, Ill just get a six pack of tallboys (keystone light) and get to it. But I probably would be bitching when it gets below freezing.

Back