I Need some help with O.G. and Alc %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay075j

Reaction score
Hey All -

I'm an experienced homebrewer and I have about 20 years of beer brewing behind me.

I made my first hard cider about 6 weeks ago, and I realized that I never took my O.G. I kind of got out of the habit as I am pretty good at hitting my targets with beer and well, I just plain forgot to do if for this cider.

Now I find myself with a total guess at where the heck I was starting from with this cider. Here were my fermentables:

6 Gal of clean local cider with an S.G. of 1.050
5 lb of dark brown sugar.

As I said before, it's been 6 weeks now and I am down to a S.G. of 1.000.

I have NO idea what my Alc % is. Can you guys help me with this?

When I plug 5 lbs of dark brown sugar into a 6 gallon batch in Beersmith, I get an OG of 1.038, so an estimate of your OG might be 50 + 38 = 1.083

6 gallons at 1.050 OR 6 x 50 = 300
5 lbs sugar @ 45 points per lb OR 6 x 45 = 225

300 + 225 = 525 gravity points

The sugar addition increases the volume. I don't recall the formula, but I'd guess you ended up with 6.25 or a little more gallons

525 / 6.25 = 84 or 1.084

So, if it went from 1.084 to 1.000, then it dropped 84 points. 1% ABV is about 7.5 points of gravity.

84 / 7.5 = 11.2% ABV

I'm doing this quickly, so my estimate may not be exact, but should be pretty close.

There are many different types of cider, so its hard to say what is normal. Many folks make ciders like yours, with a significant amount of added sugar. What yeast did you use? A wine yeast, perhaps, if it survived an environment that high in alcohol.

You might put the cider away for now and age it for a while - being that dry and high in abv, it may need that. Or you could knock out the yeast and backsweeten it with plain apple juice to your tastes - it may still need to be aged. If our calculations of the abv are right, you're kind of in apple wine terrority. There is a giant thread here on Apfelwein (a german variety of apple wine) that alot of people here love - but it takes quite a bit of aging.

I also like a semi-dry, light, sparkling apple cider (akin to the draft ciders you can find, Magners, etc.) with only plain apple juice, pectic enzyme and ale yeast. That's a completely different animal, though.

13.5 lb sugar = 1 gallon volume gain (according to the TTB)

so 5/13.5 = .3704

.3704 x 128 oz = 47.4 oz volume increase

Back