I need pot.... Suggestions :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my second boil and I have concerns regarding my brew pot. My first batch didn't turn out great and while I cannot prove it I think my deep fryer/crab steamer pot probably did not help.

So, help with suggestions:

Use my All-Clad everyday, heavy duty stainless pot that I have used for soups, sauces and stews?

Or

Buy a $20-$30 aluminum pot from Walmart?

I have read that a stainless pot is best for professional brewers, of which I am not so if aluminum is sacrilege please say something. If it will do for a rookie brewer that can upgrade later lease instill some confidence with that selection.

Thanks!

I have used the Walmart 32 qt tamale steamer pot for dozens of brews and like it overall. You must remember that it was not designed to be lifted with 5+ gallons of liquid though, the handle rivets will begin to bend the side of the pot. I'm actually using it tonight to do a stepped mash by infusion with my new eKeggle pulling water heating duty.

Unrelated, but when I read the topic my first thought was 'i might know a guy who knows a guy...' >.<

OH NO NOT ALUM... just kidding :) No problem with using aluminum pots - not a bad idea to boil water in it first for an hour to build a nice protective oxide layer. Let's see... no bleach in aluminum, no overnight star-san (but fine to use). Should be good to go!

Skip Target and Walmart, you can get them all all different sizes right now on amazon for almost half the price with free shipping!

USMCMatt said:
Skip Target and Walmart, you can get them all all different sizes right now on amazon for almost half the price with free shipping!

Show me a 32qt pot for cheaper than 20 dollars.

Picked up a turkey fryer at walmart a couple of weeks ago on sale for $34. Comes with a 30 qt. aluminum pot , burner, thermometer and more.

idahobrew said:
Picked up a turkey fryer at walmart a couple of weeks ago on sale for $34. Comes with a 30 qt. aluminum pot , burner, thermometer and more.

I got that same set it is awesome. Even Better after I disabled the timer in the burner.

Latest posts

Back