HUGE 65 gallon BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThrappersAle

Reaction score
Hi Fellow brewers
I thought I’d chime in for once after absorbing everyone else’s information and keeping it as my own. We do 2 x 65 gallon brews in a day, BIAB style. I thought I’d share our process and hopefully someone out there will get some ideas, learn something, or at least be entertained. Also feel free to ask questions. Comments and suggestion encouraged.

Our brew day starts around 8 am, after we’ve pre milled our grain and measured out the hops the night before. We set the kettles up, level them and completely drain my hot water tank into the first kettle and then the next kettle ends up with cold water.

We heat the kettles with 210k btu banjos, this brings the first one up to mash temp in about 45 minutes, then next one takes about an hour 20.
We have a big bag that fits over our 75 gallon pots, and some backup smaller bags in case one the other kettle is up to temp before the first one finishes the mash.

We used to recirculate the mash and fire the kettle to keep temps during the mash but this proved to be troublesome. Be burned our bag (more than once) and if it does work it gets sucked into the kettle spout and the bottom and stalls our chugger pump. Pain in the butt. Now we use reflectix around the kettle to insulate and keep temps. Way easier.

It takes 2-3 guys and the help of a winch to get our 140 lbs of grain ( that is now wet and probably weighs 250lbs or more) out of the kettle. Once that’s done we squeeze, wash, and let it hang over the kettle to drain until it reaches a boil, or until the other kettle needs the winch.

We dump the grains via wheel barrow in the forest beside my house. We have to cover it with dirt and brush, because wow does it stink in a couple days. I would like to do something better than dump over 300 lbs of spent grain in a forest every few months but my dog can only eat so many grain cookies.

We have started keeping a third pot with about 30 gallons in it over our old turkey fryer burner to bring the water up to temp to wash the hanging grain bag and top up the boil kettle after grain absorption. This saves us about 45 minutes at the end of the day because we used to top up with coldish water from the hose bringing our wort down to about 100 degress, and let me tell you, watching 70 gallons of water boil is painful.

Once were up to boil we pitch our hops (about 130 ounces per kettle including dry hop), and then chill with 3 chillers. One is a half inch 50 ft copper immersion, another is a ¾ inch 50 ft copper immersion and the other is a 25 ft ½ inch counterflow (used to be 50 ft, don’t ask, haha), This still takes us about an hour 15 (during the summer) to get down to pitching temps.

Then we pitch our yeast, sanitize our homemade stainless lids, and shrink wrap them to the kettle. We used to use carboys but that was getting pretty tedious so we decided to ferment in the boil kettle. And it has worked out great, no off flavors, ferments great, and super easy, almost feels like we’re cheating.

Kegging day is like a production line. We rinse, oxyclean, rinse, sanitize. Then we use our ½ autosiphon attached to our chugger pump and fill the kegs through our keg strainer bag (same material as the BIA bag, swiss voile) So many hops (50-60 ounce dry hop) we have to use a bag.

Brew day is about 10-12 hours and keg day about 4-5. Long, but worth it. We're making some seriously good brew. Strictly IPA's and better than 80% of the commercial stuff we have near us.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks to everyone on the forum for the insane amount of knowledge and helpfulness.

Heres a few pics, i realize I don’t have many, and these ones are outdated as our setup is a little different now, but brew days are really busy, I’ll take some more next time and add them in.

IMG_1502.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Untitled design(1).jpg

5.jpg

Just added another pic. It all goes down the driveway. We are going to try another solution and run a hose all the way to the closest sewer and try to deflect it from the driveway next time. Washing it down wastes a lot of water though, and smells and attracts flies if its not all washed down.

Have you thought of making a small beer (partigyle) with the spent grains? I'm betting you could get 30 gallons of decent beer during the second mash.

Wow, I havnt thought about that. But amazing idea. Considering our efficiency is only about 65% I'm sure we could extract quite a bit more sugary goodness out the rest of the grain. We're gonna give that a go next time. I appreciate the insight.

Damn, how long does it take to drink all that? I'd hate to end up with a bad batch and have to dump! :eek:

Nice BIAB brewing work...interesting pulley set up, looks like re purposed casters. Interesting idea multibagging, looks like you use 4 grain bags per batch. Rather than trying to cover your spent grain, you could try spreading it out in a thin layer, toss it about with shovel and rake, that way it will dry and not rot and stink so bad....might be easier, Its what I would try...

I'll see your "huge" 65 gallon BIAB and raise 70 gallons to 135 gallons, 285 pound grain bill cheers.

Funny you say that PADave, we just had to dump a whole batch due to acetaldehyde, and Fusel, 24 kegs down the drain, it hurt to me my core. We didn't chill it far enough and stopped at around 85 f. We didn't have an a/c setup in our ferm chamber either which just added to the problems. Sad, sad day. Not to mention all that work and about $500 worth of ingredients.

It takes us about 2-2 1/2 months to drink the beer. 6 guys with 4 kegs each.

Hey wilserbrewer

I actually got the balls to pull this off because of you. I saw those pics and thread of that huge BIAB brew. Loved it. Had to give it a go.

Our bag system is different now, we do it all in one. A measly 140 lb grain bill. Haha. You got me beat.

The castor idea is history, the rope slips to the side of the wheel and gets stuck. We now do a winch and eye hook systemView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474719035.495437.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474719054.813700.jpg

But this is also getting changed, the eye hooks create too much friction for the winch, and we have a height restriction from the deck above, so, basically taking another page from your book, we are going use a shorter sized tripod system with the winch attached and take a deck board out every time we brew to give us more height when pulling the bag out.

You can see it that second pic that our last brew almost had an oopsies, the board popped out while we were bringing the bag up. Scared the hell out of us. Didn't fully come down though, thank the beer gods.

You need help mounting your hoist. Removing a deck board sounds amateurish to me sorry.

I would mount the hoist to the board that the eye hook was installed on with through bolts, cut about an 1/8 to 1/4 off the board lengthwise so it will slide between the deck joists. then I would screw or better yet thru bolt two pieces of 2 x 6 to the sides of the deck joists leaving enough space at the top to slide your board mounted hoist between the deck joists.

Done correctly this would be plenty strong and very simple to set up and take down, sorry but IMHO removing a deck board and setting up a tripod sounds like a rat trap lol sorry jmo. With the hoist mounted as high as possible secured just under the deck boards, you should be able to get the top of the bag very close to the bottom of the deck joists, that should be high enough...hopefully.

Also looks like your hoist may have the cable run incorrectly, I believe the cable should exit straight out through the two round silver rods applying tension to the mount and not exit the hoist at an angle...

You need help mounting your hoist. Removing a deck board sounds amateurish to me sorry.

I would mount the hoist to the board that the eye hook was installed on, then I would screw to pieces of 2x 6 to the deck joists leaving enough space at the top to slide your board mounted hoist between the deck joists.

Done Correctly this would be plenty strong.

That is basically the setup we have now but the height restriction of the deck doesnt allow for the full length of the bag to be lifted up and out of the pot. Ideally we would be lifting the bag without the use of the eye hooks, so that was my thought with removing the deck board. It would also allow us to have the wire directed through the two metal rods because it would be face down above the pot. That could definitely be one of our issues with the lack of oomph from the winch.

We also do 2 brews in the day, with 2 different kettles so the winch needs to be redirected.

Ya, we are a bunch of amateurs and proud of it. We work with what we have and love doing it.

I'd love to hear/see a bit more about the shink wrapping of the kettle. That's a fantastic idea!

I'd love to hear/see a bit more about the shink wrapping of the kettle. That's a fantastic idea!

Sorry for the repeated posts above guys.

Here's a couple pics, they're fermenting right now so the pics are a little sub par.

Our first attempt at this was to slice a silicone hose down the center and attach it the the lip of the pot and then put the lid on and clamp it down with about 10 clamps. Still didn't seal completely. The shrink wrap isn't very elegant but it works and it's cheap.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474722943.393896.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474722972.103328.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474722999.214741.jpg

You guys are my heros! I was thinking 10 gallon with 2 bags, how wimpy. Thanks for the inspiration. And +1 on spreading the grains out so they can dry in the sun.

Thanks man, ya, that's how I started out , don't worry about the weight in the bag, shouldn't a problem. The bigger the bag the more weight she can take. Learned that from wilserbrewers huge BIAB. Made me nervous the first couple times though.

Wow, so that's basically saran wrap, or packing stretch wrap for something like pallets, with a OSB lid?
Love it!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474728201.120571.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474728310.668946.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474728354.536109.jpg

Cinching the bag with a loop of strong cord, rope or a strap mid bag will conserve head room, and may allow you to simply mount the hoist overhead...just an idea.

Gather and lift the bag manually until the grain ball is floating at the top of the kettle. Then gather or twist the bag and fasten the loop twice around the bag and back through the loop, pull tight and attach loop to hoist.

Cheers!

Thanks Wilserbrewer. I'm going to give that a shot next time, i worried about slippage with my knot but this one looks a lot more secure. Shouldnt be a problem tying it lower on the bag with this one.

Wow, so that's basically saran wrap, or packing stretch wrap for something like pallets, with a OSB lid?
Love it!

Yup, thats basically it. The OSB is on the top side of a stainless lid we cut. The osb is more or less just for rigidity. Stainless for my sanitary sanity.

Good on you! I've been kettle fermenting for a few years now. I just lid the kettle, then secure a sheet of plastic over the top and down the sides of the kettle a few inches, then tightly wrap a string around the kettle securing the wrap. Typically I ferment with just the lid for the first couple days, then seal it up good before the kreusen drops.

Best when "open" fermenting like this to move the beer to a keg sooner rather than later, I typically move to kegs after 10 days or so, then maybe cellar the kegs another week or so depending on my pipeline and fridge space.

I have started to feel that airlocks and a perfectly sealed fermenter is kinda silly during an active ferment as it's generating co2 pretty rapidly.

Yes!! I'm happy to hear you say that, this has helped us leap and bounds on brew day. Cleaning and sanitizing 24 carboys is a chore, and accidents happen too, so being short a carboy puts a damper on our final volume.

Semi-open fermenting worried me a lot in the beginning but after a few batches in I'm pretty confident, and like you said we package around the 10 day mark after a 5 day dry hop.

Yea sanitation paranoia will destroy you....I assume your brewing this stuff to consume fresh. If I was looking to cellar my beer for a year maybe I'd feel different.

24 glass carboys...that sounds like torture.

If you work in the partigyle, I think you could up your production by 50% and give yourselves two types of beer to drink. That would by 6 kegs per guy - I guess you'd have to up consumption. ;)

Challenge accepted! Ive been giving it a lot of thought, We do 2 brews in a day, side by side, so i think we may be able to mash each bag of grain twice, and concentrate the wort collected into a third pot. Time is definitely a restriction considering our brew day can exceed 12 hours sometimes so were going to have to figure out the most efficient way to do it. I love the idea, and im sure we could pull off an extra 30 gallons.

One thing that may help you speed up your brew day....

I brew 20 gallon batches and get everything set up the night before, water into kettles and grain and such and then put a 1000w electric stick heater into each to heat overnight. Plugged in at 9PM, when I come out at 7AM, the water in a 30 gallon kettle is sitting at around 160-180 degrees. Dilute with cold as necessary to get the water temp you need. I'm usually mashing in within about 20 minutes of getting to the brew space.

Do you dump trub out of the Boil Kettle? Or just chill to temps and pitch the yeast?

I haven't read up on it much, but with a lot of the German styles they are open fermented, wonder if going to that length to seal up the Boil Kettle/Fermenter is needed. Also, since C02 is heavier than air, I would think even after high krausen there should be a protective layer, no?

Those monks have open fermented for centuries. But they have a lot of goodwill.
I would look at one of those electric aussie water heaters set on a timer. You can find some in the us on ebay.

Those monks have open fermented for centuries. But they have a lot of goodwill.

Yes - and I've known a few breweries to do it in this country but the fermentation is also closely monitored so that as the krausen starts to fall back the beer is transferred to a closed vessel.

Best when "open" fermenting like this to move the beer to a keg sooner rather than later, I typically move to kegs after 10 days or so, then maybe cellar the kegs another week or so depending on my pipeline and fridge space.

I have started to feel that airlocks and a perfectly sealed fermenter is kinda silly during an active ferment as it's generating co2 pretty rapidly.

Yeah, I was at Bourbon distillery and they ferment in open fermentors with the windows open right next to it. I asked the Master Distiller and he said something along the lines of:

They pump it with plenty of strong yeast before anything else can get to it. Plus there is so much negative pressure that nothing can get in there.​

Also, the picture on the Samuel Smith bottles look pretty darn open to me, too.

One thing that may help you speed up your brew day....

I brew 20 gallon batches and get everything set up the night before, water into kettles and grain and such and then put a 1000w electric stick heater into each to heat overnight. Plugged in at 9PM, when I come out at 7AM, the water in a 30 gallon kettle is sitting at around 160-180 degrees. Dilute with cold as necessary to get the water temp you need. I'm usually mashing in within about 20 minutes of getting to the brew space.

Thanks for the input. I am going to dabble with this idea. I originally mapped out an electric system for my setup but found that heating 2 65 gallon pots would require too much hydro and investment. I do like the slow and steady set it and forget it method though. That may just work for us and save some time. In the first kettle we mash in about 30 minutes after we fill it up with my hot water tank. Water goes in at about 130 f. This would definately speed the second kettle though. Plus setup in the morning would be a breeze.

Do you dump trub out of the Boil Kettle? Or just chill to temps and pitch the yeast?

I haven't read up on it much, but with a lot of the German styles they are open fermented, wonder if going to that length to seal up the Boil Kettle/Fermenter is needed. Also, since C02 is heavier than air, I would think even after high krausen there should be a protective layer, no?

We just chill and pitch. Ferment with trub and all. No off flavors to speak of. I've had infections before in smaller batches (lactobascillus) and get pretty worried about dumping 120 gallons after all that time, effort and $$. Its an extra step at the end of the day and helps me sleep at night.

Back