I need more yeast than my Flask will hold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK MrMalty tells me that I need 568 Billion yeast cells in a 7.17 Liter starter for my brew. I have a 5 liter flask so am limited to about a 4 liter starter. I have done a 2 liter starter with 1 tube of yeast. It is now chilling and I plan to decant and add fresh wort to build my starter.

Now I figure I have 200B cell count. If I pitch that to 4 liter of 1.030 wort and let it ferment that should give me 400 B. Can I then chill and decant that, then pitch onto another 4 liter of fresh 1.030 wort to ferment out. Leaving me with 600 B cell count.

Does that sound correct? Is there an easier/better way to get my starter to the needed 568 Billion?

OK MrMalty tells me that I need 568 Billion yeast cells in a 7.17 Liter starter for my brew. I have a 5 liter flask so am limited to about a 4 liter starter. I have done a 2 liter starter with 1 tube of yeast. It is now chilling and I plan to decant and add fresh wort to build my starter.

Now I figure I have 200B cell count. If I pitch that to 4 liter of 1.030 wort and let it ferment that should give me 400 B. Can I then chill and decant that, then pitch onto another 4 liter of fresh 1.030 wort to ferment out. Leaving me with 600 B cell count.

Does that sound correct? Is there an easier/better way to get my starter to the needed 568 Billion?

I could be just lucky when i say this, but i have never even made a starter, I have brewed beers all the way up to 1.125 and never pitched a starter, what i do is use more than one package of yeast, Or ill start it with say Nottingham using 2 or 3 packages and then pitch like white labs super high gravity yeast to finish it out. yes i know it cost more, but i am just too lazy to do the starter thing, that and when i decide to brew it is normally last min. So what i would suggest is make the biggest starter you can and pitch extra yeast packages to make up the difference in cell count, OR get you a couple 1g glass jugs and make 2 one gallon starters. Most places sell the glass 1g carboys for like 4.25.

Yeast growth is not linear. Inoculation rate has an effect on possible growth. From what I understand, to get the last 200 billion cells, you would have to pitch half the slurry (200 billion cells) from the first 4L into the next 4L. This is without a stir plate.

Latest posts

Back