I need a sanity check....Long Story About the Wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
Before I start the story, I've told her that we need to talk tonight and she has some idea what I want to discuss. I'm not just on here asking strangers about it and not discussing it with her. It's something we need to work out between us, but I want to get some insight from others and am somewhat embarrassed and don't want to discuss it with close friends and family.

My wife went out of town for work last week. I've been concerned about her trips to this particular sales meeting since last year when a co-worker from a different branch managed to get his hand in her pants at a bar one night. We discussed that and it still left me with some questions that she just couldn't answer, like, "How was he groping you enough that he felt comfortable putting his hand down your pants without you stopping it?" It doesn't help that she spends the nights hanging out with her co-workers in a bar staying up late fueled by too much alcohol and questionable decisions.

Here's the part where I'm the un-trusting jerk. When she got home Sunday I took her phone in to a shop to be repaired (cracked iphone screen) and I thought I'd surprise her by getting it fixed for her. When I was testing the phone after getting it back I scrolled through one of her text messages from some guy that was there.

They discussed a picture that he described as "a keeper" and whether or not it was sent to somebody while they were drunk. He asked her if she was still a vegetarian since 4am that morning (She's been vegetarian for a couple of years now and you might be able to see where my mind went when he had to ask if it had changed since 4am). They talked about him liking 50 shades of grey. He commented about how people think "He's (_insert specific race_)* from the waist down" (I think you can likely fill in that blank). She flirted right along with him on that one. She came home with a sore throat and no voice (this could actually be benign in nature, but you might have guessed by now what I think is happening). She sent emojis of what look like playboy bunnies dancing. To top it all off she has gone into an un-used conference room at work to video chat with him on breaks at work.

When it came up in conversation I asked her who Steve is. (Name changed......just because). She said, "Oh, Steve is just the guy that drives the shuttle that drove us around." Steve is not just the shuttle driver. He's a co-worker from another branch and she's got a mile long list of texts with him with flirty talk and stuff that seems to imply more than just friendly conversation. They're friends on facebook now.

Am I crazy to think something is going on here? There was a lot of just friendly banter in the text message outside of the specific examples that I brought up. I just feel, in my gut, like something happened while she was there and would likely happen again if they're back together for some reason. How does somebody approach this sort of subject in a marriage?

TLDR: I think my wife is messing around on me while out of town for business.

I was testing the phone after getting it back I scrolled through one of her text messages from some guy that was there.

Well, if you want honest feedback, let's start with you acknowledging that you were snooping. Probably with good cause. But saying you accidentally whoops!! stumbled onto those messages is baloney.

Sorry to hear this, it sounds like your instincts are accurate and she may be up to something outside of your marriage. As you've stated you are two are going to talk about the situation so that's the best thing you can do IMO. If you're not convinced after that perhaps some type of marriage counselling is in order. Best of luck to you sir

People in committed relationships might flirt a little, but that goes far beyond "a little" IMHO.

I personally cannot abide a cheater. It's something I wouldn't even give a second thought to saying, upon confirmed evidence of said cheating, "Get out & I don't want to ever see you again."

If they cheat once, they will cheat again.

All IMHO, again.

I didn't say it was accidental, and already told her as much. I've already told her that I knowingly looked at the texts. That's going to be part of our discussion tonight, I'm certain. I take full responsibility for my actions on that.

I've been married a long time, and don't have any issues like that, BUT if that was happening to me, I'd know (not think) the same things you know. With the evidence you've presented, I'd say "Guilty as charged". Someone's bags would already be packed. For the last 1/2 century, I've been known as the guy who really thinks stuff through (I'm a technical analyst, even), and I don't feel you're jumping to conclusions.

I feel for you man. I've been there, and unfortunately in my case it ended in a divorce. There was a lot of the same crap going on with my ex, but it was all online.

All the same signs were there, a lot of the same lies and lines and excuses. I finally confronted her on it one time very directly up after about a month of both of us dancing around it, and basically said "i don't like how much time you've been spending talking to X and I think there's something going on". She was in full-up denial and acting incredulous that I would even think it, to the point where she started packing up her stuff and our daughter's to go to her parents.

At which point I stopped her and showed her the conversations that she had left saved on our shared computer that she didn't know I knew about, which contained things that, in my opinion, no man should EVER be saying to another man's wife, and vice-versa on her part. That pretty much forced an about-face in her position.

Unfortunately what I go out of that is that when someone is that deep in lies/evasions, they have no choice but to continue lying about it until you confront them with incontrovertible evidence and force their hand.

After that we had some serious talks and got past it. Until about a year later when she started the same routine, except in person this time. This time I didn't have the same evidence, but it was to the point of the same evasions, lying about where she was and how much time, and I just had it and walked out. Realistically after the first time I knew I couldn't believe her or trust her so it was probably just a matter of time anyway.

Wow, sorry about all of this. I think the first response is pretty dead on, confront her and if she loves you and is willing to change (including job) then perhaps it is something you can work out. If not, then you two need to decide next steps as she obviously isn't in the marriage at that point.

She's lying to you. You already know that. There isn't much more that needs to be said about that. Confront her about it and deal with the repercussions or ignore it and be a doormat.

I have no desire to be a doormat and that's why I know that I have to discuss it with her face to face.

I feel wildly hurt by it and am wanting to make sure that I'm not crazy for it. I wanted to make sure that I'm not blowing it out of proportion before we discuss it. Also just want to air it out to someone that isn't close friend or family to help wrap my head around it.

Sorry to hear this, it sounds like your instincts are accurate and she may be up to something outside of your marriage. As you've stated you are two are going to talk about the situation so that's the best thing you can do IMO. If you're not convinced after that perhaps some type of marriage counselling is in order. Best of luck to you sir

I should add this to my part...after the second time I suggested that we should go get marriage counseling, and her response was if I was the one that thought there was a problem then maybe I should go get counseling. I was trying in earnest to make it work, riiiiight up to that point.

But if you're not yet to the point of no return (which is a personal decision and varies for everyone), that would probably be a really good direction to look in.

Well, good on you... lasted longer than I would have.

If that happened to my wife, there would either be pending sexual assault charges or I'd be out the door.

Hey, I'm sorry if my first post came across as wise-assy. I didn't mean to come across that way.

Been through a divorce over this as has one of my best friends...She is cheating on you plain and simple...Women will always lie about it to your face ( not that men wont) Sorry to hear this dude, but its been going on way longer then you think.

No statistics to back it but I think women cheat more then men this day and age. I guess their getting even.

Hey, I'm sorry if my first post came across as wise-assy. I didn't mean to come across that way.

No, you're good. I wanted to clarify though that I am willing to take responsibility for my own actions. I'm hoping that she will do the same tonight and not try to pass it off as nothing.

it seems you know the answer.

Below is just an opinion and nothing more.

If you are going to approach it - you must be willing to move forward - wherever that takes you.

If you talk about it and ask for the truth, and it is what you feared, probably best to not fight - might push things beyond salvation. Ask her what she expects between the two of you and how things are going to move forward from that point.

If you are not going to move forward, don't ask.

Be as up front with her as you have been with us. I will not jump to a conclusion about cheating, but regardless, her 'tone' is offputting to say the least .. with you, but especially with others.

I have no desire to be a doormat and that's why I know that I have to discuss it with her face to face.

I feel wildly hurt by it and am wanting to make sure that I'm not crazy for it. I wanted to make sure that I'm not blowing it out of proportion before we discuss it. Also just want to air it out to someone that isn't close friend or family to help wrap my head around it.

I think you're acting very reasonable and I'm sorry that you're going through something like this. Be firm and don't let her dance away from the truth.

First, congrats on bringing this up on a homebrew discussion forum. That takes some balls. I'm sure you already understand that this kind of place is mostly men, and they will more than likely answer from the male point of view. Plus, *some* of us around here tend to make snarky comments, so expect those as well.

As far as your problem, I can't say I have much advice to offer. Everyone is different and their relationships are different. People have varying degrees of flirtation, and likewise, varying degrees of jealousy. What's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

I'm probably an older guy, so my perspective is possibly different, but a little touchy-feely while very drunk at a bar is probably a bad decision, but maybe not worth anything other than an apology and some discussion.

That, and a lot of texting and flirting to the SAME GUY, and now you have a relationship situation. You really need to discuss with her, and maybe think about taking the next step: therapy. There are probably unresolved, or unknown issues between you two. There are some very common issues that can be worked out if both of you are willing to talk honestly about them.

Of course it could be she's just horny for this guy. Women can be horny and make bad decisions just as easily (or more easily, TBH) than guys.

We are all different. The older the relationship, the more relaxed it can be. I'm probably at the age of "If it makes you happy, then I'm happy." As long as she knows I love her, and visa versa I think I'm pretty open minded. I think it's only human nature for people to want some sexual excitement. And people want to know that they are loved and the other person desires them. It's not easy to keep those things in mind in a long relationship. Losing the ability to convey those things often lead to feelings of rejection and a search for those things outside of the relationship. It's rarely a case of black and white when it comes right down to it.

Ah, well, I don't have much personal experience in complicated relationships. Any time there's been a chance at being unfaithful I always screw it up. Frankly, I'm lucky to have found my wife. She managed to appreciate my personality and sees past my flaws. I hope she finds someone who can take care of her emotional and physical needs when I'm dead and gone.

First, congrats on bringing this up on a homebrew discussion forum. That takes some balls. I'm sure you already understand that this kind of place is mostly men, and they will more than likely answer from the male point of view. Plus, *some* of us around here tend to make snarky comments, so expect those as well.

As far as your problem, I can't say I have much advice to offer. Everyone is different and their relationships are different. People have varying degrees of flirtation, and likewise, varying degrees of jealousy. What's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

I'm probably an older guy, so my perspective is possibly different, but a little touchy-feely while very drunk at a bar is probably a bad decision, but maybe not worth anything other than an apology and some discussion.

That, and a lot of texting and flirting to the SAME GUY, and now you have a relationship situation. You really need to discuss with her, and maybe think about taking the next step: therapy. There are probably unresolved, or unknown issues between you two. There are some very common issues that can be worked out if both of you are willing to talk honestly about them.

Of course it could be she's just horny for this guy. Women can be horny and make bad decisions just as easily (or more easily, TBH) than guys.

We are all different. The older the relationship, the more relaxed it can be. I'm probably at the age of "If it makes you happy, then I'm happy." As long as she knows I love her, and visa versa I think I'm pretty open minded. I think it's only human nature for people to want some sexual excitement. And people want to know that they are loved and the other person desires them. It's not easy to keep those things in mind in a long relationship. Losing the ability to convey those things often lead to feelings of rejection and a search for those things outside of the relationship. It's rarely a case of black and white when it comes right down to it.

Ah, well, I don't have much personal experience in complicated relationships. Any time there's been a chance at being unfaithful I always screw it up. Frankly, I'm lucky to have found my wife. She managed to appreciate my personality and sees past my flaws. I hope she finds someone who can take care of her emotional and physical needs when I'm dead and gone.

I don't know that it takes balls. It's just the only forum that I go to very often. I know there will be snarky comments and I'm taking everything said here with a BIG grain of salt. Thank you though for helping me to keep a level head about what is said here.

The incident a year ago was not the same guy as the more recent texts. The guy from a year ago actually left the company, and it is my understanding that he has a history of sexual harassment. That's a big reason I was more easily over it a year ago.

I have counted myself lucky to get such a great girl and always told people that I had married up. It just makes it that much more troubling to me.

They talked about him liking 50 shades of grey. He commented about how people think "He's (_insert specific race_)* from the waist down" (I think you can likely fill in that blank). She flirted right along with him on that one.

Okay, I've heard enough. Yeah, she's farking around on you. Sorry. It's a horrible situation. Get out as fast as you can, while you still have a small amount of dignity. Don't drag it out. You'll be better off without her.

I have counted myself lucky to get such a great girl and always told people that I had married up. It just makes it that much more troubling to me.

I'm a relative newcomer to this forum and I'm a bit surprised that I feel compelled to offer advice on such a delicate topic. If you're not cheating on her, then she's the one who married up. If you have no kids with her my advice echos much I've read here: cold crash this relationship, bottle it, and move on. This is, for me, already "irreconcilable differences." There are plenty of awesome people out there who don't cheat.

Edit: don't forget after bottling put it on the curb.

Last edited:
I'm a relative newcomer to this forum and I'm a bit surprised that I feel compelled to offer advice on such a delicate topic. If you're not cheating on her, then she's the one who married up. If you have no kids with her my advice echos much I've read here: cold crash this relationship, bottle it, and move on. This is, for me, already "irreconcilable differences." There are plenty of awesome people out there who don't cheat.

Edit: don't forget after bottling put it on the curb.

Some people just never dump...

I don't think I can contribute much that hasn't already been said, but yes, it sounds suspicious, and good on you for addressing the matter frankly and in-person. I think some people would either use the situation as a green light for a retaliatory affair of their own, or go straight to burning the other person's stuff in lieu of actually solving the problem.

Did you come here for the 'ManUp' or 'c'mon man' comments?

What the hell are you attempting to save? Seriously. Move on and find a real woman because a real woman wound NEVER put her man in the position you are in.

I'd be embarrassed too but you are most likely ashamed...

You are taking this very well, I don't think I would of been able to compose myself and set a meeting to speak with her after reading those messages. I would of put everything to a stop and had an immediate conversation..but that is neither here nor there. If you want advice...I would move on. This is no longer an isolated situation. First a guy is all over her now another guy texting inappropriate material its no doubt she is cheating.

Also...I have to say that even if she convinced you she was not cheating by some miracle the trust is already gone.....not sure she can get it back so what type of future would that make for the two of you?

Sorry to hear about that. Finding things like that is never easy.

This is my opinion...make sure you are calm and collected, make sure you have your proof in had and talk with her. Let her know that whether it's innocent or not that's not how someone in a committed\loving marriage acts. If you want her to stop, be firm and tell her to stop. If says anything other than "You're right, I'll stop", tell her to leave. Whatever you decide make sure you are firm.

Bottom line is life is to short for crap. You are the only one that has to live with yourself and you only get one shot at life so make it a good one!

Good Luck!

Man, I'm really sorry that you're going through that. Horrible. One's gut is almost invariably correct. Schedule a polygraph. If you don't get a confession today you will in the parking lot before she takes it.

I feel for ya and hope things work out but since it doesn't look good to me based on just what you posted, I'd say it might get nasty so if you can, keep or get all the evidence you can that she cheated on you. I'm not speaking from personal experience but from what I've seen from friends.......proving she fracked the marriage up makes things easier on 'your' side of the legal table.
Good luck!

I'm really sorry for your trouble. One way or another, I hope you find peace. I think you're right to want to check your conclusions. This situation sounds bad to me too, but I can't confirm your suspicions. If you can't resolve it to your satisfaction, I suggest you find a way to absolutely confirm or disprove her faithfulness. Hire some-one, get a friend she doesn't know to watch her, load spyware on the computer, put a tracker on the car, whatever it takes. At least then you'll know for sure, and you never have to look back. Use your intellect to make decisions, not your emotions, positive or negative.
Good luck.

I agree with the others don't ask unless you are mentally ready for the final goal of divorce if that is what it comes to. This definitely does not sound like flirting for free drinks.

These types of things can be a blurry line in any relationship; but safe to say, it sounds like the line has been crossed. Repeatedly.

You need to get over this part right away...experience talking here.
I thought my world was coming to an end when my Ex left me for another guy, because I thought she was my sole mate for life....I sulked around tor 3 years....then I found out something "There is not just one soul mate out there for you or perfect Match for you " there are tons of potential ones out there....and Oh So much fun finding them :D

I could find 50 easy in this picture below that would suit me just fine, and I her. Its more of a timing thing..you and her were in the right place together at the right time looking for love for it to work in the first place....That can and will happen again if you go look for it.

My current wife ( second ) is way different then my first ..better?.. yes and no. My point is there are LOTS of relationships to be had out there if you want another one.
First time shame on her...second time shame on you.....This milk is spilt and cant be put back in the bottle... and she is not the all around "great girl" you thought she was, sorry dude.... move on......Tough love but there it is brother. I do feel for you!!

Shed your tears, then dust off your bruised heart and replace her as fast as possible.

OK so the gal in the second picture isn't that hot.....but it gets my point across. And that is, your gal was just one in the crowd in the first place...... as are we all!!. :D

huge-crowd-0011.jpg

woman-in-the-crowd.jpg

So sorry to hear this, dude. Hopefully there aren't any kids involved?

Time to start moving monies to a secure place that she doesn't know about. I suggest a deep hole in the woods until the divorce is over.

Hopefully he sent those messages to a personal account... that's probably more than enough to prove emotional infidelity at the very least.

This sounds like a horrible situation and I don't have much advice to give. I think Doctor_M is right, you should probably start moving your assets out of her reach, and I agree with everyone else that you need to gather evidence. As soon as you confront her she will start getting her wheels in motion, you need to beat her to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back