I need a neutral Lager Yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnyankee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a neutral-tasting Lager Yeast for my hefe at bottling time and unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with lager yeasts.

Can someone offer any expertise?

Thanks in advance,

DY

i wouldn't worry too much about using a lager yeast for bottle conditioning a hefeweizen. are you sure you even need to add yeast for bottling? how long has the brew been sitting... did you cold crash it for an extended period? you could easily use nottingham or us-05 for a neutral bottling yeast if need be. if you really want to use a lager yeast, i'd probably use saflager s-23. you don't need much... i can't remember the exact amount, but i think it's like 1/4 tsp of dry yeast or something mixed in the bottling bucket.

Curious - why would you want a lager yeast for a hefe? Isn't hefe an ale?

Is it something like you store your bottles at 50, so they would only carb if they had lager yeast in them?

Yes, I need a lager yeast for my Erdinger Hefe clone. Erdinger uses two yeasts: one to ferment and a lager yeast to bottle. I'd like to try a neutral lager yeast first.

Thanks in advance,

DY

All lager yeasts are pretty neutral. Don't see why you couldn't just use a packet of Saflager S-23.

Back