I need a bigger kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
Well I'm on my third brew and got my first boil over. My first two went fine because I finally figured out I was under my needed start water and my first couple brews probably came in close to 4 gallons so I upped the water to start this one went to add my extract and boom it boiled over haha I feel dumb.

What do you guys suggest for a new kettle I work on an outside burner and want to move to BIAB all grain. Thanks

Sanke kegs are used. Typically 1/2 barrel size, which are most common. Make/brewery doesn't matter so much. Although some are made a little different, depending on the year made. Most commonly used seem to be either AB or Coors/Miller kegs.

Just find one in decent shape (locally if possible) that is not stolen. I know of someone not far from me that sells kegs he gets from a recycler (who gets them from the breweries). 100% legit there. Getting them from someone on CL or off ebray is most likely considered 'stolen'... Selling a keg that you picked up from a liquor store, paid a deposit on, but never returned, is considered theft. There are cases where people have tried to return the kegs, only to be denied by the store. I think that's more a gray area, but it's still not 100% legit.

Cool I'll have to look into that really don't wanna worry about volume problems anymore haha

10 gallon kettle as a minimum.

I would also recommend using a ten gallon pot. I use two 7.5 gal pots for my stove-top BIAB process and don't have boil-overs. However, if I didn't carefully manage the boil to avoid boil-over it would happen every time.

I have my 15.5 gallon keg mash tun and 15.5 gallon keggle for my boil. I've done the modifications myself, which isn't as hard as you might think. You only need a couple of tools to do this. One of them is a right angle grinder and a good drill (with a low speed range). Get some good drill bits (you'll need a 7/8" bit for 1/2" NPT fittings) and you're pretty much there.

IF you're going to polish your keg(s) then do that before you start drilling and cutting into them. It will be far easier if you do it that way.

First boil keggle I made
2012-02-23_18-57-34_497-53300.jpg

Current boil keggle
new_keggle_outside-54735.jpg

Older shot of my mash tun. I've since removed the dial thermometer, installed a plug in it's place. I use sensors for a external thermometer that can go into the mash (to depth) for better readings. Plus, they don't get in the way when you stir the mash.
mashtunoutside-53331.jpg

Awesome I'll probably be stealing that haha

This was my first attempt at doing this on my own I'll keep my FIL involved from now on to help out.

Back