I messed up. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finigan4710

Reaction score
I did a dumb thing and rushed the rapidly cooling stage and now my wort is sitting in the fermenter at 95 degrees sealed. It's been like this for 6 hours. Is this okay or did I let it sit for too long. My sanatatuon was good but I feel like it has to sit for a few more hours. Can anyone give insight on my problem?

if you haven't pitched, wait. I have more than once gone to bed while leaving my wort in the ferm chamber to cool the last few degrees. As long as you're careful in your sanitation it should be fine.

If you pitched your yeast, not good. The yeast will be fine, but depending on the strain and how long it takes to cool down it may produce some very unpleasant off flavors during the lag phase and an increased chance of fusel alcohol. If it were 80 I would say let it do it's thing, but at 95 it could make your beer not just unpleasant but undrinkable.

If you haven't pitched your yeast, good. Pitch tomorrow. If you have, I suggest getting the fermenter into an ice chest, bathtub, or Rubbermaid container full of cool water pronto.

finigan4710 said:
Na I ddnt... So it won't aerate too much overnight? The airlock is on...

I'm not sure where you live an what the weathers like but it is vital that you control fermentation temperature by whatever means you have available. It is debatably the most important element you can control in making beer. If your house is running 68-70 degrees, that it too hot in many cases to let it ferment as it may climb to 75-78 during peak fermentation and give you an inferior product. If you are fermenting without temperature control you should figure an ambient temperature of 5 degrees under your optimum fermentation temp, which for most ale yeasts is around 68 degrees.

Latest posts

Back