I love my glass carboys but.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midwest carries those. But idk about fitting 6.5G in a 5G BB...maybe you have the 6G size like mine??

I'm actually referring to the Deep Wood Cavern 5 gal which will ferment up to 6 gal. Maybe you quoted the wrong post? :mug: I might continue my "probe through the airlock hole thing" if I decide to buy one of these babies.

I'm actually referring to the Deep Wood Cavern 5 gal which will ferment up to 6 gal. Maybe you quoted the wrong post? :mug: I might continue my "probe through the airlock hole thing" if I decide to buy one of these babies.

I was actually referring to more than one post. I just didn't think to list both of them. The carboy in question was "advertised" as a 5 gallon,but he got more in it. I wondered,if it's a 5G carboy,how do you get 5.5-6 gallons in it? Answer is it's not a 5 gallon carboy. 5G should go up to the neck in a 5G carboy. Used as a secondary,you want to minimize the head space as much as possible. Unlike when used as a fermenter,where you want at least a gallon of head space for co2 & krausen. Thus my BB is 6 gallon,so a 5G batch has a 1 gallon head space.

I've got two better bottles and have done 20 - 30 gallons through them. Was cleaning one last night and it almost looks like there is some scratches near the top. Probably from my bottle brush.

I'm now worried :(

Scratches near the top shouldn't matter much. That part stays above the liquid in co2 gas anyway. my 2c worth...

Yeah this is probably in the liquid. But I'm going to check once the carboy is dry and see if it's as bad as I thought

When I first got mine in a trade,it had to be cleaned from being stored unused for a long time. I had to start telling myself to be careful with the exposed wire parts of the carboy brush. Had to figure out new ways to scrub with it so as not to scratch the plastic. PBW made that job real easy.

Thanks! Just one more question: Where did you get the thermowell fitting from? Do you think I could use one of them with the probe from an STC-1000?

I got mine from Brewers Hardware (Part # TWNS8, $10.95). And, yes, it does fit the probe from my STC-1000. After I got the thermowell, I realized that I needed to add a stainless nut in order to tighten it properly - but I can't remember where I got that (LHBS?).

I received my Depp Wood Cavern (5 gal) yesterday and it's a beauty! Got the valve as well and they even applied the PTFE tape to it :ban: Will think about the thermowell for the future but I promised myself that I'm done with purchasing equipment for a while (yeah, right...)

If everything goes well it will hold my 2nd rendition of Denny's infamous Vanilla Imperial Porter this weekend. Glad I stumbled across this thread :rockin:

I don't have experience with the thermowell from Midwest supply, but there seems to be a number of complaints about the stopper being too small. I got mine at ETCsupply.com. 21.99 works perfectly.

You are all wrong!

Wooden barrels are where its at!

Pros:
Flavor
No broken glass
Doesn't suck back

Cons:
Heavy as a tree (it is wood!)
Can't watch your brew
Guests think you are a vintner

All joking aside, even as a newb I have to say glass. I have three 1 gal., and one 5 gal. My girlfriend and I both try to use as little plastic as possible anywhere.

You can vacuum rack with glass carboys. You definately can't with BB and I don't know about cornies or other stainless containers. It's a minor convenience, when I'm tranfering into a corny it seems to take sooooo much longer than vacuum racking into a glass carboy.

Latest posts

Back