I love my glass carboys but.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
let me first say that i'm a diehard fan of the glass carboys. I have 2 6 1/2 gallon and 2 5 gallon in glass, never once considered using plastic..... but thinking of getting one better bottle.....here's why......

The other day i was at the LHB and getting a few odds and ends. I asked for the cap for the 6 1/2 gallon carboy and they gave me the large one that would fit the better bottle....I said i thought it was wrong size and then he said oh you want the glass....he told me he switched because of a nasty cut he got when he dropped his. I didn't think twice about it as ive heard the story from others several times....but later that day when I was lugging the full carboy down the stairs it got me thinking a bit. I've never dropped it and am always super careful, but still I understand it can happen.

My feeling is that the glass is much better, less chance of scratching, getting bacteria, etc....but others swear by plastic....thoughts on both options?

Glass is superior in every way .... except it weighs so dam much.

Generally I use them for secondary. When I use them for primaries (mostly sours), I start in plastic and let the sediment drop out before racking into them and then adding yeast. That way I carry the wort down stairs in plastic.

let me first say that i'm a diehard fan of the glass carboys. I have 2 6 1/2 gallon and 2 5 gallon in glass, never once considered using plastic..... but thinking of getting one better bottle.....here's why......

The other day i was at the LHB and getting a few odds and ends. I asked for the cap for the 6 1/2 gallon carboy and they gave me the large one that would fit the better bottle....I said i thought it was wrong size and then he said oh you want the glass....he told me he switched because of a nasty cut he got when he dropped his. I didn't think twice about it as ive heard the story from others several times....but later that day when I was lugging the full carboy down the stairs it got me thinking a bit. I've never dropped it and am always super careful, but still I understand it can happen.

My feeling is that the glass is much better, less chance of scratching, getting bacteria, etc....but others swear by plastic....thoughts on both options?

This has been discussed a lot and it's almost like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Some people feel VERY strongly about it too. Basically the high points are

GLASS CARBOYS
Pros
Doesn't scratch easily
Blocks O2
Easy to clean
Doesn't 'suck-back' when lifted
More expensive

Cons
Can hurt you really badly if it breaks
Heavy
Heat shock sensitive

BETTER BOTTLES
Pros
Cheaper
Not heat shock sensitive, but you shouldn't exceed 125f in a better bottle according to the manufacturer.
Safer - won't cut you badly if it breaks
Light weight - much easier to lift and carry

Cons
'Sucks-back' when lifted
Harder to clean since you can't use a carboy brush on them. (
PBW makes it a sinch though)

There are other reasons, but those are the highlights. I use 4 better bottles and 2 carboys as fermentors, but I always use the better bottles if they are empty just because they are so light weight and I don't have to worry about injuring myself. If I had room in my mini fridges I would put them in milk crates to prevent the suck-back problem, but there isn't room.

*Edit*
Change price comparison, apparently Carboys are more expensive than Better Bottles all around, initial price and shipping.

Sorry if you use glass you are going to die!!

LOL

If you don't want to die - be very careful and don't carry them around drunk.

There's a big thread around here from recently where glass vs plastic was discussed/debated.

I'm a fan of glass, myself - but since I don't want to slice my juggular vein and die a bloody death, I'm careful.

My take on this in red:

This has been discussed a lot and it's almost like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Some people feel VERY strongly about it too. Basically the high points are

GLASS CARBOYS
Pros
Doesn't scratch easily
Blocks O2
Easy to clean Not nearly as easily cleaned as Better Bottles.
Doesn't 'suck-back' when lifted Easy precautions make this a non factor.
Cheap Better Bottles cost less, especially when you factor in shipping.

Cons
Can hurt you really badly if it breaks Biggest con IMO
Heavy
Heat shock sensitive

BETTER BOTTLES
Pros
Not heat shock sensitive, but you shouldn't exceed 125f in a better bottle according to the manufacturer.

Cons
Expensive Less expensive than glass
'Sucks-back' when lifted Take the airlock off first!
PBW makes it a sinch though) Oxyclean soak, rinse, insert washcloth and swirl, rinse - done. The longest time is filling it with water and oxyclean.

There are other reasons, but those are the highlights. I use 4 better bottles and 2 carboys as fermentors, but I always use the better bottles if they are empty just because they are so light weight and I don't have to worry about injuring myself. If I had room in my mini fridges I would put them in milk crates to prevent the suck-back problem, but there isn't room.

I have not heard any concrete evidence that O2 permeability has been an issue. Maybe some concern if aging longer than 6 months.

thanks everyone, valid points on both sides.

Cleaning is not an issue, i have the cloth carboy cleaner that connects to a drill, i don't see why i couldn't use that with better bottle.

Better bottles are less expensive than the glass by like 20 at LHB

Anyone have good experiences with the car boy carriers?

]I have not heard any concrete evidence that O2 permeability has been an issue. Maybe some concern if aging longer than 6 months.[/COLOR]

Yeah, they actually do a good job keeping O2 out, just not as good as glass. I would still lean towards long secondaries in glass. I have a cider sitting in glass right now that I plan on leaving another 6 months.

I am scratching my head on your "take the airlock out first" comment though. That defeats the entire purpose of an airlock doesn't it? I keep vodka in my airlocks so that if/when suckback occurs it's not a huge deal. Yes, some air gets in, but not that much. Now if I took the airlock out a lot more air would get in. I just don't see any way that wouldn't make things worse.

thanks everyone, valid points on both sides.

Cleaning is not an issue, i have the cloth carboy cleaner that connects to a drill, i don't see why i couldn't use that with better bottle.

Better bottles are less expensive than the glass by like 20 at LHB

Anyone have good experiences with the car boy carriers?

Yes, I use BrewHaulers and they are excellent

I am scratching my head on your "take the airlock out first" comment though. That defeats the entire purpose of an airlock doesn't it? I keep vodka in my airlocks so that if/when suckback occurs it's not a huge deal. Yes, some air gets in, but not that much. Now if I took the airlock out a lot more air would get in. I just don't see any way that wouldn't make things worse.

I am talking about moving the BB when you are going to rack. I take the airlock off, cover with sanitized foil and move it to a position to rack. I don't feel it flexes enough to disturb the entire co2 layer so I have no worries about oxidation.

An S-style airlock should just bubble backwards, a 3 piece might allow the liquid to get into the BB. Still it's what? maybe an ounce of Starsan or Vodka, no worries.

I am talking about moving the BB when you are going to rack. I take the airlock off, cover with sanitized foil and move it to a position to rack. I don't feel it flexes enough to disturb the entire co2 layer so I have no worries about oxidation.

An S-style airlock should just bubble backwards, a 3 piece might allow the liquid to get into the BB. Still it's what? maybe an ounce of Starsan or Vodka, no worries.

OK, I'm with you now. I carry mine from the fermentation chamber to my room to let them finish out and make room for the next batch, then again to the counter to rack. The racking trip I really don't care about, but I try to limit the suckback on the first trip as much as I can. Honestly the beer is still off gassing so much at that point that it probably doesn't hurt it much either way.

BB suckback is not an issue if you transport using a milk crate or something where the bottom is supported. Come to think of it, you probably should move glass that way too.

Poor horse. Haven't you beaten it enough already?

I use glass. I had 1 better bottle but it was easily scratched when cleaning so now it holds star-san.

Try looking at stainless car boys .. I got mine from deep woods brewing. Quality is medium.. Light steel but well enough made. I've been very happy with it. Lighter, blocks light, good handles, pre-threaded ports... And not TOO expensive ...

All i want to know is who the hell is scratching their better bottles?

Seriously, fill it with water and oxy for a day, dump it, fill it a quarter full, shake the hell out of it for 10 seconds and dump.

Whala your carboy is now clean and it took you all of 4 minutes most of which is sitting there waiting for it to fill up with water.

Try looking at stainless car boys .. I got mine from deep woods brewing. Quality is medium.. Light steel but well enough made. I've been very happy with it. Lighter, blocks light, good handles, pre-threaded ports... And not TOO expensive ...

+1 - LOVE the Deep Woods Cavern.
2013-09-08 19.06.03.jpg

Holy *(^*&%&^%

$168????

I can't justify that when I can get a plastic bucket with a lid for less than $30.

I have a 6.5g glass carboy, a 6g better bottle, and a half dozen plastic 30L fermenter buckets. I prefer the buckets all day. The only drawback is they suck back when you lift them but I don't care if I get a smidge of vodka in my brew. I'm planning on making a sour and I will use the glass carboy for that one so I can effectively retire it. The less I move that thing around the longer I'm likely to live.

Sorry for the hijack but: That is a piece of beauty! Did you add the second port? Would be much more suitable for my setup than the SS conicals... and cheaper.

No, it came with both ports, and the gasketed-hole in the lid for the airlock. They also provide two stainless steel plugs so you can cover one or both of the ports. The valve is an extra $20, but SO worth it (it comes apart for cleaning with a simple allen wrench). The other thing is that the company advertises this particular carboy as "5 gallon", but I've got 5 1/2 gallons in it with a few inches to spare. I haven't measured, but I think the "5 gallon" size will easily fit 6 1/2 gallons.

No, it came with both ports, and the gasketed-hole in the lid for the airlock. They also provide two stainless steel plugs so you can cover one or both of the ports. The valve is an extra $20, but SO worth it (it comes apart for cleaning with a simple allen wrench). The other thing is that the company advertises this particular carboy as "5 gallon", but I've got 5 1/2 gallons in it with a few inches to spare. I haven't measured, but I think the "5 gallon" size will easily fit 6 1/2 gallons.

Thanks! I looked at the 7 gal one and it only has a single port. The 5 gal actually states that it will ferment 6 gal!!! And it's "only" $135.75 :)

I got mine for 90 at the AHA conference... well worth it. I might get a second but am pretty well stocked up for now

Damn that stainless Carboy is nice. I'm definitely going to have to look into getting one.

I prefer glass carboys, but I take precautions. I carry full ones with BrewHauler straps. Any time I'm handling one (to clean, sanitize, bring upstairs to the garage to receive wort at the end of a brew day), I wear thick leather work gloves. I never set them down directly on concrete - always on a folded down cardboard box or a piece of plywood. The sink I use to clean them is plastic. I'm still paranoid, but I'm being as careful as I can.

The only time I handle glass carboys bare handed is when I'm removing them from the swamp cooler. That's a pretty stressful 15 seconds, let me tell you, lifting a big, heavy, wet glass jug out of a tub of water and onto an adjacent piece of cardboard. If it broke during that time, I don't even want to think of the injury I'd endure.

I got mine for 90 at the AHA conference... well worth it. I might get a second but am pretty well stocked up for now

I would absolutely pay $90 for that.

OP, In my short time here I have learned that there is great debate over every way of doing something. Glass breaks, this isn't news at all. Better bottles scratch, this shouldn't be news. Buckets don't let you see your **** and they scratch. I guess it comes down to this, will it let your beer ferment? If so, then use it. I wouldn't skip using a glass carboy if someone gave one to me. I just opted for the BB because of weight, mostly.

As a noob with 6 batches under my belt, I enjoy reading all of the various debates on methods / procedures.
I have 2 - 6.5 carboys and 2 -5 gal carboys. Bought the clamp on handles, broke a 5'er (fortunately empty) while cleaning as it slipped out of my hands and replaced them all with the brew haulers. Found out the hard way - starsan is dang slippery.
Also, can't drain upside down with those neck handles. Got 3 for sale. Any takers? :)
Glass and brew haulers is the only way I'll go!

I've only just brewed by second batch of beer, but as soon as I have the first batch out of the glass carboy, I'm selling it and doing primary in buckets (with their handy handles) and any batch aging in a better bottle. I had my moment of realization when I was looking at the carboy in the swamp cooler after having just dragged it over a bit to make room for the soon-to-be second batch. I'm a 5'4" woman and a veritable klutz on top of it - there is no way I am going to be able to get that carboy out of the swamp cooler safely by myself. I'm sure lots of people can use them with few concerns, but, for me, they are absolutely not safe. And this is my hobby - I don't want to have to wait for the boy or another friend to come by just so I can move the beer.

The second batch is currently fermenting in plastic, and it's doing a fine job. It was fun watching the yeast do their yeasty thing, but I was sold on the bucket the minute I needed to move it and I could do so (relatively) easily.

IMHO... Beer is much more resilient than many give it credit for. A suck back, some daylight or a slightly off temp will not ruin your beer. Bad sanitation or a broken back will, and ruin your day to boot. Brew on friends, figure out what works and brew the hell out of it.

i have a few carboys and a few buckets, both make the same beer. I recently bought 2 6.5 gallon carboys and within less than 48 hours of owning i shattered a full one when it tapped the side of my stairs on the way inside. Cut my hand and had a hell of a clean up with all the little shards, this didn't deter me from using glass just to be more careful and realize that these things are bloody heavy when full. Oh before you all freak it was full of sanatizer :D

My father used a glass carboy. Bloody thing was too heavy to be practical. I while back I traded a member in WY my 45 Cooper's PET bottles for his 6G BB he no longer used. I used cold PBW solution (1.5oz/G of water) with a carboy brush,gently & it cleaned right up. Mold spots & all. PBW is a great mold lifter,& does so very quickly. Plus sticky dustygreasygrimygoferguts as well.
The 6GBB is also great for hauling 5 gallons of local spring water home. Put it in the back seat with two gallon jugs of water,& I'm good to go.
I mostly wanted it for for aging/lagering (eventually)...but mainly for oaking my Whiskely Ale,which is a 6G batch. I'd like to get a 5G BB as well for 5G batches to minimalize head space with the two different batch sizes.
5G of water is heavy enough without a glass carboy adding to it. Wort is denser yet,so it's even heavier. BB for me at my age for safety & lighter weight.

been using a glass carboy since my brew start over 1.5 yrs ago.

Northern Brewer sent an email for buy 1, get 1 free "Bubbler" bottles. Either 5 ga or 6 ga plastic carboys - so I picked up 2 for about $30 shipped.

A deal I couldn't pass up since I brew in the basement & the floor is concrete... I've had premonitions of the glass carboy slipping & hitting the ground. :D

Those Bubblers from NB Look like they have a bigger opening, a more conical bottom for sediment. I have a batch in 1 now as its secondary.

Setesh said:

GLASS CARBOYS
Pros
Doesn't scratch easily
Blocks O2
Easy to clean
Doesn't 'suck-back' when lifted
More expensive

Cons
Can hurt you really badly if it breaks
Heavy
Heat shock sensitive

BETTER BOTTLES
Pros
Cheaper

Cons
'Sucks-back' when lifted
PBW makes it a sinch though)

*Edit*
Change price comparison, apparently Carboys are more expensive than Better Bottles all around, initial price and shipping.

I use all BB's for both primary & secondary. I've "solved" the suck back issue by inserting a sanitized #10 stopper before I move the BB. Then I simply replace the airlock after I'm finished.

Thanks! Just one more question: Where did you get the thermowell fitting from? Do you think I could use one of them with the probe from an STC-1000?

Back