I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airplanedoc said:
On the machine line I ran, the lights would typically go out but all the machines would continue to run. We still generally had to shut down due to lack of ambient light to operate, but occasionally there would be enough coming in the windows and emergency backup lighting to keep operating.

What, were you guys on belt driven lathes powered by water wheels from the nearby creek? ;) I used to have one lathe here that could handle a pretty good brown out and keep on chugging, but all this new crap is super sensitive. If you even look at them wrong they alarm out.

What, were you guys on belt driven lathes powered by water wheels from the nearby creek? ;) I used to have one lathe here that could handle a pretty good brown out and keep on chugging, but all this new crap is super sensitive. If you even look at them wrong they alarm out.

Machines ran on 440, lights 110. We would loose the 110 feed, but the 440 feeds would still stay on, since they came from a different substation. It made for a eerie situation, especially at night, but it beats the hell out of wrecking a machine and having a 4000 lb part fly thru the door or side of a machine.

Oh you guys who actually do tangible jobs that produce an actual tangible good... your terminology is so... confusing.

Totally lost and no idea what they are talking about... Yeah, I had this 110 line once and had to go rig a semi-conductor. Turns out I should have brought the 130 and been done with it. Oh well.

Now colicky babies, I understand that. My first child, my son, was the perfect little baby, always happy. Then my daughter came along... bless her heart... I had one of those baby holders that strap around your body and only way she'd shut up is if I put her in it and walked. Was living in Daytona Beach at the time and walked and walked along the streets and along the beach at all hours of the day and night. One night I remember walking from midnight until the sun came up. If I stopped walking, she'd wake up and start screaming. Man, those were tough times.... Her dad was so tired from all the screaming that it didn't even bother him wife and kid were walking the streets of Daytona Beach alone at night. Also knew it was the only way, must get her to stop crying!!!

Well, so much for spring fishing. My Dad just got a $150 water bill. Tracked down a leak in the basement. Looks like I'll be digging up his water main as soon as the weather permits. Don't know for sure yet, but I'm hoping it's the elbow where it comes into the foundation. He ran plastic pipe when he bought the house and used a plastic elbow to 90 it towards the foundation. I'm thinking 2x2 or 3x3 hole and 4 feet down. I'm wondering if the old black pipe is pexable. I'd love to put a brass crimp fitting on there. If not I guess I'll have to go with a brass hose barb elbow. I have a sneaking suspicion he used worm clamps. I wonder if oetikers would be better? If they have a hose barb to pex adapter, I could run pex into the house though. I have some 3/4 left from when I plumbed my house. Well, I think it's beer:30, what a mess. Couldn't wait until after the crappie spawn could it?

I worked in a shop where all that stuff was still in the basement. We did not use it but it was cool to see

Airborneguy said:
Man, I'd be happy as hell if I got a $150 water bill!

I was going to say, that seems like a nice low summer time bill here. Ever since we got metered everyone I've talked to has paid about 50% more. The city sold the people on metered water, saying we'd all save money. Huge load of BS. At our old house we paid about $70 a month, unmetered. Now we're at about $100 in the winter and $150 in the summer.

Can't you set it outside for two minutes and be all set? :D :mug:

Don't want ice now:eek:

Funny thing about cold beer. When we would go sledding I would take the beer out of the fridge and warm it up then wrap it in my spare jacket to keep it from freezing. Where else do you find a sport that you WANT warm beer in the morning

Well, so much for spring fishing. My Dad just got a $150 water bill. Tracked down a leak in the basement. Looks like I'll be digging up his water main as soon as the weather permits. Don't know for sure yet, but I'm hoping it's the elbow where it comes into the foundation. He ran plastic pipe when he bought the house and used a plastic elbow to 90 it towards the foundation. I'm thinking 2x2 or 3x3 hole and 4 feet down. I'm wondering if the old black pipe is pexable. I'd love to put a brass crimp fitting on there. If not I guess I'll have to go with a brass hose barb elbow. I have a sneaking suspicion he used worm clamps. I wonder if oetikers would be better? If they have a hose barb to pex adapter, I could run pex into the house though. I have some 3/4 left from when I plumbed my house. Well, I think it's beer:30, what a mess. Couldn't wait until after the crappie spawn could it?

Here if you find a leak like that, once you fix it the water co will read your meter for a couple months, and decrease your bill to the average lower amount.

A waterbill here is $150/quarter combine water and sewer.

Oh man I just finished marking the caps for tonights bottling. 12 more gallons of marked brews and then I am into summer beer that I do not mark since I drink tons of it.

Come on summer:D

Varmintman said:
I worked in a shop where all that stuff was still in the basement. We did not use it but it was cool to see

During my apprenticeship we checked out this place, pretty cool. The last belt driven shop in the country. If they want to do some heavy cutting on one machine, they have to shut the others down because the main crank shaft can only put out so much HP. It was basically a working museum.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Foundry

During my apprenticeship we checked out this place, pretty cool. The last belt driven shop in the country. If they want to do some heavy cutting on one machine, they have to shut the others down because the main crank shaft can only put out so much HP. It was basically a working museum.

We have a amish community near me, if you get out of the town to the shops, where they actually make the furniture, some of them still run on shaft alleys. Its kind of crazy to see new modern machines, but running off a shaft with leather belts. Of course the shaft is powered by a diesel engine sitting out back not water.

My average water bill is $35-$40 and my Dad's is around $50. I hear people complain about immersion chillers running up their water bill, but I've never really seen much of a difference. It's kind of the only thing keeping me here, besides my family. The cost of living here is pretty reasonable. I'm not looking forward to digging that hole though. I have pine and cherry tree roots to contend with. I'm sure I'll be alternating between a shovel, axe, and pick axe.

Airpnaedoc, I just noticed what your avatar is. That's awesome. I may have to do that next year. I'm sure my neighbors would get a kick out of that. Especially the uppity ones across the street. :)

Oh!

That's cool!
Thanks.
When I stepped outside the box in the early 80's I was young enough, yet experienced enough, to apply true machining knowledge to CNC's.
Shop owners thought good CNC operators were the ones that could show up every day to push the right buttons.
A machinist can make those things sing.
I made a lot of money in a very short time, but soon became bored with it...and was smart enough not to get caught into programming them full time.

I was a "setup" guy in no time.
Programming at the control panel, setting up the tooling and production runs, then making fixtures.
I had more fun making fixtures because it was closer to the tool and die work I had apprenticed in.

Our ancient homestead in the middle of Maine had its own machine shop vintage late 1700's.
It had a pulley system to run all sorts of machinery plus the grain and dairy farm gadgets.
They did have a LONG lathe and turned wood and metal for other farms.

We have a small lathe inherited from my Grandpa that I'd like to learn how to use. He was a machine builder. I wish I had been more interested in that kind of stuff when I was younger. The mechanical gene must be recessive, because I didn't get very much of it.

Airpnaedoc, I just noticed what your avatar is. That's awesome. I may have to do that next year. I'm sure my neighbors would get a kick out of that. Especially the uppity ones across the street. :)

Its really great when you have uppity neighbors, especially when they are the only ones that can see it. I had a party once and turned my chimney into a lighthouse, complete with rotating beacon, that one really kind of pissed them off.

Cygnus_X1 said:
Oh!

That's cool!
Thanks.
When I stepped outside the box in the early 80's I was young enough, yet experienced enough, to apply true machining knowledge to CNC's.
Shop owners thought good CNC operators were the ones that could show up every day to push the right buttons.
A machinist can make those things sing.
I made a lot of money in a very short time, but soon became bored with it...and was smart enough not to get caught into programming them full time.

I was a "setup" guy in no time.
Programming at the control panel, setting up the tooling and production runs, then making fixtures.
I had more fun making fixtures because it was closer to the tool and die work I had apprenticed in.

Our ancient homestead in the middle of Maine had its own machine shop vintage late 1700's.
It had a pulley system to run all sorts of machinery plus the grain and dairy farm gadgets.
They did have a LONG lathe and turned wood and metal for other farms.

I'm the guy that got suckered into doing the programming. I agree that a background in "real" machining is very valuable in the shop. On the other hand, I saw a lot of old timers in the CNC apprenticeship that were having a hell of a time making the transition. Not having manual cranks and dials created a big disconnect, and the math involved with the more complex geometry of parts typical to CNC were hard for some of the guys. I also love fixture and prototype work. I dislike production work and don't have the patience for it, but that's what keeps the lights on. I'm actually considering a position at a shop down the road that makes giant plasma arc furnaces. That job would be more of 3-5 part runs, making complete machinery, machining $30,000 castings that cannot be scrapped. More stress = more fun, for me at least. Plus I dislike working for a family business.

I am more of a hack machinist. While stationed in Germany I was the PLL clerk for the motor pool. There was a lathe in the shop that nobody ever did anything with so I asked the CWO if I could play with it. After 2 weeks of breaking bits and grinding them wrong he bought me a book I think called the machinist bible.

I would bust through my work so I could play on that lathe. Weird huh but I loved doing it And it served me well as a few years ago I bought a old camp trailer that did not have a spare tire. I thought nothing of it until I tried to buy one and found out they were not to be had. So I took a regular rim cut the center out of it and welded a steel plate in and then machined it to work on my trailer.

God help me if I get a flat and have to put it on:mug:

Well the shovel is out of the garage and under and balcony, and my Miata is covered. That's about all of the storm prep I'm doing. Other than screwing up my plans, this one shouldn't affect me too much. Fingers crossed. ;)

I've been in mood for something lately and I couldn't figure out what it was. ;) Figured it out. Got a big ole pot of chilli brewing on the stove.

It's raining lightly right now. Weather is chilly but not cold. Feeling mellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back