I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright so Dan gave me the kick in the tail to tell the Story of Cygnus.
It's not a tale of pride, it's a tale of self sacrifice.
But the paradox is like Oedipus, one that brags is one that has not sacrificed at all.
The ultimate story of self fulfilling prophesy is life itself, but I for can't stand those that
say they have little control over their own destiny.
"God helps those that help themselves".
And to paraphrase, "Jesus despises those who pray in public".

The short story is that while a lifelong machinist I had always had an interest in the
craftsmanship of guitars and electronics, especially guitar amps.
My wife and I worked a combined 5 jobs for 5 years and saved enough money to start a music store
to serve the small Columbia, SC market that only had one other store that...well...didn't really serve the customers very well.
There were high end (still my friend, and will drop his name here, Eric Ernest) and the usual pawn shop options, but no real middle of the road stores.
So we decided to put our saved cash into a music store.
CD's, used and new, guitars, amps, PA's, lessons, and repairs.
This was in 1991 to 92.
When the thought of a name came up I dug into my fascination with astrophysics, and the discussions of the black holes, worm holes, and cosmos stuff in general.
The running joke was "If you buy a boat, it's equivalent of throwing money into the water".
So, I chose "Cygnus Music", as we were throwing our money into a black hole.

Somewhere in there, in between and prior, the band Rush grew on me.
I HATED Rush for a long time.
Could not stand Geddy's voice.
But looking back I realized they did touch a spot for me in an intellectual, nerdy way.
Take the song "Xanadu", a take on Milton's "Paradise Lost".
As I spent my days in the music store I had retied from the machining world, I soon realized that I had walked away from a world of craftsmen that really cared about their work.
Rather than musicians that were passionate but really not very successful or defined.
Bottom line is...although we had a lot of fun, it is true that musicians live on the edge,
and don't contribute to a very good business plan!

So, it really was "Cygnus X1".
I went on with life and resumed my career as a machinist, and could not have been happier doing so.
I went in with a renewed passion for an art that is getting lost.
And the tales of Xanadu, and especially Cygnus meant something real in my life.
So although Cygnus did not start with Rush, it certainly has wrapped that way.

One of the cappers was taking my 18 year old son to see Rush for their Time Machine concert at
Greenville last year.
It was his idea, and his first concert.
We had a ball, and yes they played "Temples of Syrinx", and this 49 year old went nuts like a teenager.
After all, it's about a man that decided to take to the music, isn't it?

Now I build amps, and enjoy machining...and brewing beer.

[ame]http://youtu.be/PCj3oBHSA5M[/ame]

Cygnus, I was raised in Columbia, SC.... well, the outskirts, Red Bank, know that area?

I'm an AG brewer but I have a 55lb box of DME :rockin:

That's how you brew extract on the cheap.

Awesome story.... we are the priests of the temple!!!! God does help those who help themselves..... Not trying to get religious here, just listening to the music. :rockin:

But the paradox is like Oedipus, one that brags is one that has not sacrificed at all.
The ultimate story of self fulfilling prophesy is life itself, but I for can't stand those that

The short story is that while a lifelong machinist I had always had an interest in the
My wife and I worked a combined 5 jobs for 5 years and saved enough money to start a music store
to serve the small Columbia, SC market that only had one other store that...well...didn't really serve the customers very well.
There were high end (still my friend, and will drop his name here, Eric Ernest) and the usual pawn shop options, but no real middle of the road stores.
This was in 1991 to 92.
When the thought of a name came up I dug into my fascination with astrophysics, and the discussions of the black holes, worm holes, and cosmos stuff in general.
The running joke was "If you buy a boat, it's equivalent of throwing money into the water".

But looking back I realized they did touch a spot for me in an intellectual, nerdy way.
As I spent my days in the music store I had retied from the machining world, I soon realized that I had walked away from a world of craftsmen that really cared about their work.
Rather than musicians that were passionate but really not very successful or defined.
Bottom line is...although we had a lot of fun, it is true that musicians live on the edge,

I went on with life and resumed my career as a machinist, and could not have been happier doing so.

One of the cappers was taking my 18 year old son to see Rush for their Time Machine concert at
Greenville last year.
We had a ball, and yes they played "Temples of Syrinx", and this 49 year old went nuts like a teenager.

http://youtu.be/PCj3oBHSA5M

Cygnus,
That was one of the humblest, heartfelt and honest post I ever read here on HBT. I'd like to have a couple brews together someday if that'd be okay with you. :mug:

This was in 1991 to 92.

Greenville last year.

Sometimes you find what you have is what you really wanted all along.

Thank you for reminding me of that.

The capper (or not) is now I have been drafted to be a floor level safety professional.
I also thought about "what happens when my eyesight is not so good, or the physical challenges are too much" to be a good machinist any more?
I've witnessed heart attack victims in their late 40's from the stress of the work.
It's not rocket science, or brain surgery, but it CAN be a lot of pressure to always get the metallurgy, the variants, and the machines all correct all of the time.
I was drafted into safety and it gave me a new outlook in communication, and teaching from experience.
Now my most stressful times are preparing for classes and all that damned paperwork that OSHA demands.
But the good news is I am a floor level safety guy, not a manger that ends up in court when things go wrong.
I retired 15 years ago and show up because I love my work.
Not bad for a 50 year old dog.

I'd share my story but I'm afraid it's inappropriate for this forum. I'll just leave a few words here:

Finance/Investment banking
Professional gamer
Neuroscientist
Med student

Countless trials and endless tribulations. But still, I am here, I guess.

Not sure why, but I love you Cygnus. You are my kind of man. :cross: Not even sure what all you said, but every word was meaningful, heartfelt.

Yeah, probably we all been drinking too much, it's that time of night. Glad you stopped by to chat with us. I can give you a kiss since hubby is in hospital and not looking. :eek:

Emjay, is that top to bottom or bottom to top? Or does that even make sense?. I'm guessing med student was first.

Not sure why, but I love you Cygnus. You are my kind of man. :cross: Not even sure what all you said, but every word was meaningful, heartfelt.

Yeah, probably we all been drinking too much, it's that time of night. Glad you stopped by to chat with us. I can give you a kiss since hubby is in hospital and not looking. :eek:

You're my little sis but I think I'm jealous. :D

That's really what it comes down to.
We learn, in the end, it's not about us at all.

Everyone should read read Neil Peart's writings, whether they like him or not.
One of the most humble human beings to exist, but one of the best drummers in the world.
Yes, I got sick of that label myself.
Apparently he doesn't buy it either.
No, that's too soft.
He gets sickened by it.

Here is one take, and take it for what it is:

http://www.shakingthrough.net/books/reviews/2002/neil_peart_ghost_rider_2002.htm

I'd share my story but I'm afraid it's inappropriate for this forum. I'll just leave a few words here:

Finance/Investment banking
Professional gamer
Neuroscientist
Med student

Countless trials and endless tribulations. But still, I am here, I guess.

If I were an employer I would be plenty interested and would have lots of questions...mostly positive.
But HR types would piss all over us!

:D

Cygnus_X1 said:
And don't get my opinion wrong.
Cottage cheese does taste like ricotta.
The difference is in the texture, and how ricotta holds up to the casserole process.

Cottage cheese is no substitute for ricotta, for sure.

My dad was a machinist for probably 60 years. He retired and worked a few half days a week, then down to one half day before his health, I think, kept him home. I wish he was here now to have a homebrew and make me a grain mill! My ex husband did machine work, and my son also trained and worked as a machinist. I hear that lately, skilled workers in the field are in demand.

Keep on keepin on, BobbiLynn.

Here is to finding what is important. And it does take time.

A little music.

Ya know, they wouldn't have sounded like this if they tried to sign together 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cygnus, I was raised in Columbia, SC.... well, the outskirts, Red Bank, know that area?

Wife and I lived in Oak Grove Lexington for a bit and gradually made our way to Irmo, where we have lived for 20 sumpin' years.
I know Red Bank just by passing through.
If they don't have a thrift store, we aren't much for visiting!

My sons have taken up that habit.
They buy broken gaming systems , fix them, and resell them.
Wonder where they learned THAT from?

:D

That's really what it is all about.
Sometimes the gurus come along and tell you to drop what you are doing and chase your dream.

And sometimes it IS that hard lesson to tell you that you were on the right track all along.

Life can only be experienced by living it.
It would be very easy for me to be bitter and say the store failure was not my fault.
But really, we poured our money and our souls into it, and walked away richer both monetarily and spiritually.
I said, and still say...if you believe in it, save up, and don't take a loan for a business.
I was able to walk off with multi thousands in stock to deal with.

Unless you're like Trump, and are used to dealing with debt in order to do business.
My heart is not that strong!

Never heard that song before. Father and daughter?

Very interesting thought, but so far from the truth.

Plant, 60, lead singer for Led Zepplin and Krauss, 37, bluegrass goddess have come together to win 5 grammys so far. Plant said the collabhoration was "just getting lucky"

Dan said:
Yes much like cottage cheese just a little drier I believe. The only thing I can think of using it for is lasagna. I'm sure there are other uses that I just don't know about.

It makes killer gnocchi.

Alright that was below the belt, and totally undeserved.
Something about Kenny G gets me going in the wrong direction though.

Let's settle the score with this, and I hope we can agree...

[ame]http://youtu.be/55nAwmVLQSk[/ame]

You know, Cygnus my new friend. One thing I like about the world wide web is it gives a person a chance to intertwine with people not from your neighborhood.

People in general are crazy and nuts and that is not a bad thing. When we all start thinking the same, look out! To me Kenny G, not my favorite musician but I do enjoy his music once in a while. I think tonight was the first time I listened to him in 15-20 years.

Anyway.. doesn't really matter. As a musician he turns you off. That's understandable. I'm an amateur when it comes to this and like his music. But Cygnus x1 I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from. The guitarist you posted is AWESOME!

All is good, music brings on rage as does it make us relax.

Cheers to you and please share more music. I know I'm not the only one who will look forward to that. :rockin:

Just finished my equipment check at work and settling in for some HBT time.

It's weird, before work I left my daughters 1st birthday party. I was thinking, first birthday parties are really for the adults aren't they? Granted, all the kids had a great time, but it seems like the adults were the ones who really enjoyed themselves (to the tune of draining 3 of my kegs). It never fails to amuse me seeing my parents and aunts/uncles drinking at parties. When we were growing up they all stopped drinking until the median of the cousins (52 of us in our small town) were old enough to drink. Suddenly all of us cousins realized that our parents were the masters of hiding their drinking. I've always been a proponent of not making things taboo for my kids, but teaching them moderation. My mind is wandering. I need coffee.

Anyway, here's the big cheese at her 1st birthday.

image-48465011.jpg

I nodded off after I finished my canning mission. Got half a pint of beer I need to finish. After reading the posts tonight, I could swear someone brought some peyote to the party and spiked the punch. Greenday's Basketcase song came to mind so I thought I'd share. Still half asleep. Did BL, Dan and Cygnus have an orgy? ;)

Yeah, I can't get into some of their new stuff, but the old stuff is pretty good. Dookie was their best album IMO.

I´ve turned off the radio, I´m just searching trough this thread and playing the videos. Nice selection, as always this is not my nigthtime but my morning but is a nice thread to crash any time during the day.
Cheers... go to sleep you guys need to brew on Sunday!

Latest posts

Back