I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ThAt is a beautiful video

Big things like Niagara Falls and the big ocean gives me the willies. Its sort of like claustrophobia but different

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Sounds like agoraphobia.

Sounds like agoraphobia.

What? He 's afraid of sheep?

angora1.jpg

Ever been under the deep blue sea and looked up? Seen a megaton ship propelling through the the water above? Ive never done that but it scares the bejesus out of me thinking about it. I have no idea why. It's a phobia for sure. Snakes and spiders are pretty freaky to me but nothing compared to my fear of big ocean waters. . I spent many years on top the ocean in a very large ship. Being under one just scare me to no end

Hey Late Nighters,

Sunday morning and I have been productive today. I have 5 quarts of yogurt incubating and I made a batch of laundry soap. Will try to get some coffee roasted and five gallons of Pale Ale kegged this afternoon. I need to mow the lawn but it is a little rainy here in Lower Alabama this morning.

Of course I have to get everything done before I take my daughter to her bassoon lessen at 3:00. I need to do that because the LODA Bier Garten in Mobile is right next to the place I take my daughter. They have a great craft beer selection and ALL pints are half price on Sunday.

http://www.lodabiergarten.com/#!home/vstc1=menus

Good for those who actually got something done this weekend. I had a double root canal, post, crown, and fillings Saturday morning. I've been a little out of it since then. Only 4 more root canals, 2 or 3 crowns, and an extraction. Then I should actually be out of tooth pain. That will be novel... Don't ever let your teeth get this messed up. Sucks getting it fixed. Once that's done, I'm looking at a probably bridge and then probably an implant.

I got into an annoying discussion with someone who refused to stop trying to brow beat me into accepting their religious view. After about 45 minutes I actually got angry and left. She was drunk anyway.

EDIT: I spent about 3 hours working on complete color study on my acrylic paint palette. It's about half done.

I had a double root canal, post, crown, and fillings Saturday morning. I've been a little out of it since then. Only 4 more root canals, 2 or 3 crowns, and an extraction. Then I should actually be out of tooth pain. That will be novel... Don't ever let your teeth get this messed up. Sucks getting it fixed. Once that's done, I'm looking at a probably bridge and then probably an implant..

Woah. How did your teeth get that out of control?

I had a crown once and that wasn't a big deal. I've heard root canals are no fun. I was born with "hard teeth", which is what my mom called it. Very few anythings in my mouth.

My wife has the soft teeth. She has a chair with her name on it at the dentist office.

I had a crown once and that wasn't a big deal. I've heard root canals are no fun. I was born with "hard teeth", which is what my mom called it. Very few anythings in my mouth.

My wife has the soft teeth. She has a chair with her name on it at the dentist office.

Same situation here. I didn't go to the dentist for years during my partying years, barely brushed, didn't own floss. Went to the dentist and had one small cavity. My poor wife has to brush 3x a day and floss or trouble. I've got a little trouble with a back molar now so may be looking at another filling soon but that should do me for another 5 years. My brother has at least 5 root canals due to his acid reflux.

I was on sulfur type drugs as a child side affects were porous bones and loss of enamel. Bones are hard teeth are soft, I had cavities in my some of adult teeth before they pushed out the baby ones. To date 8 root canals 16 cavities 14 crowns. I personally sponsored a trip to Hawaii for my Dentist and his wife;) Feel your pain bro, good luck, rub your gums with peppermint oil natures pain relief:D

Wow... I never brushed for the longest time and it is probably my biggest regret. I have 4 fake teeth (broke 3 due to sports...) that probably were in bad shape cause of my habits.

I finally have dental insurance after 6 years and I'm glad to be pain free. Sadly, I trust my dentist ten time more than my doctor cause I know that what she does works!

Side note, I want to ask this here because I know people won't yell at me to do research and that I respect the crowd on this thread!

So, I want to move over to biab AG in the near future.. My biggest concern is my small 3 gallon pot. I want to buy a propane burner, but I'm not sure if I should buy a 7.5 gallon pot or convert a keg (that I already own). I don't plan on brewing anything bigger than 5 gallons.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you have a keg (presumably 15 gallon) that will give you the most flexibility, assuming you have an appropriate burner for it. You will have to adjust your brewing process a bit due to the HUGE difference in size & volume, so don't be surprised if you miss your target gravity on a batch or two while you get into the swing of things.

The problem with a 7.5 gallon pot is that it is only, just barely, capable of doing a BIAB in it if you aim for a smaller batch size and/or brew lower gravity beers. I used one for a year or two on the stovetop. It's workable, and probably a lot easier if you are brewing in your kitchen, but it does come with some limitations, and you really need to watch it like a hawk for boilovers. A 15 gallon pot is just much more flexible in that regard, although you need to think more about how you are going to move liquid around, how you are going to chill at the end of a boil, etc. if you are stepping up from a 3 gallon system.

If you have a keg (presumably 15 gallon) that will give you the most flexibility, assuming you have an appropriate burner for it. You will have to adjust your brewing process a bit due to the HUGE difference in size & volume, so don't be surprised if you miss your target gravity on a batch or two while you get into the swing of things.

The problem with a 7.5 gallon pot is that it is only, just barely, capable of doing a BIAB in it if you aim for a smaller batch size and/or brew lower gravity beers. I used one for a year or two on the stovetop. It's workable, and probably a lot easier if you are brewing in your kitchen, but it does come with some limitations, and you really need to watch it like a hawk for boilovers. A 15 gallon pot is just much more flexible in that regard, although you need to think more about how you are going to move liquid around, how you are going to chill at the end of a boil, etc. if you are stepping up from a 3 gallon system.

Thanks for the response... My main concern with the keggle is being able to do 5 gallon batches with a biab setup. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a way to get the bag out with out risking the possibility of burning my arm.... And tips?

Thanks for the response... My main concern with the keggle is being able to do 5 gallon batches with a biab setup. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a way to get the bag out with out risking the possibility of burning my arm.... And tips?

Well, you really need a bag which fits the size & shape of the kettle. Mine is tall enough to come up over the rim of my kettle, and then I tie it off around the little lip.

Well, you really need a bag which fits the size & shape of the kettle. Mine is tall enough to come up over the rim of my kettle, and then I tie it off around the little lip.

I'll look around for sizes, have a suggestion for a converted keg?

Hi friends. I hope you're all doing well.

I haven't taken the time to go back and read past posts, so please forgive me if I'm a bit behind. The only thing I really know (or think I know) is that Dan finally made it to the island. If that is indeed the case, I hope you're adjusting well my friend.

As if life wasn't difficult enough, a wrench has been dropped into the works for me again. The Monday after Easter, while I was brewing, my little dog hurt herself. She saw a stray cat in the backyard, and tore out of the doggie door like a bat out of hell. She has a small set of steps outside of the doggie door, but she slipped on them. She ended up severing her ACL in a hind leg. We had to take her in for corrective surgery yesterday. She's having a rough time. She has a long time of rehab and therapy ahead.

I managed to get her outside for just a few minutes in the sunshine, as you can see from the photo below. She doesn't have the strength or energy to do much.
If any of you folks have ever experienced something like this with your dog, I'd love to get some advice on things I can do to help with her therapy and recovery..

Thanks!

Sorry to be a downer on this otherwise positive thread. She's my buddy, and I'm hurting for her..

IMG-20140429-00992.jpg

IMG-20140430-00993.jpg

I haven't taken the time to go back and read past posts, so please forgive me if I'm a bit behind. The only thing I really know (or think I know) is that Dan finally made it to the island. If that is indeed the case, I hope you're adjusting well my friend.

As if life wasn't difficult enough, a wrench has been dropped into the works for me again. The Monday after Easter, while I was brewing, my little dog hurt herself. She saw a stray cat in the backyard, and tore out of the doggie door like a bat out of hell. She has a small set of steps outside of the doggie door, but she slipped on them. She ended up severing her ACL in a hind leg. We had to take her in for corrective surgery yesterday. She's having a rough time. She has a long time of rehab and therapy ahead.

I managed to get her outside for just a few minutes in the sunshine, as you can see from the photo below. She doesn't have the strength or energy to do much.
If any of you folks have ever experienced something like this with your dog, I'd love to get some advice on things I can do to help with her therapy and recovery..

Thanks!

Sorry to be a downer on this otherwise positive thread. She's my buddy, and I'm hurting for her..

My dog did same thing chasing after a huge dog. Took a lot of short walks, and she got better but never fully recovered. However, she was 10ish when it happened. Good luck.

My dog did same thing chasing after a huge dog. Took a lot of short walks, and she got better but never fully recovered. However, she was 10ish when it happened. Good luck.

Thanks LRB. Sorry to hear about your dog. What type of dog was she?

Mine is 8, and I fear she will never walk quite right again..

They gave me a list of all sorts of exercises and therapies.

Thanks!

Hope the pup heals up quickly, no experience but I'm sure you want to keep her as active as you can with out pushing it too far, but I know you already know that.

Thanks ChefRex and PP!

She's doing a bit better now. Her strength is coming back. Her appetite is normal. She just won't leave the damn wound alone, so we have to keep the cone on her most of the time. She's still limping pretty bad, but she's at least letting the bad leg touch the ground a little now. Slow and steady...

I'm glad it's Friday. Been a rough week at work and home. I'm ready to relax with a few brews and watch the pooch.

I hope you all are well. Happy weekend to you all!

Where is everyone? I thought I would have a lot of catching up to do after a few days off. I have been outside hiking with the family now that it is no longer life threatening to be outdoors.

I made a coffee can grill that we roasted some weinies on today. I will post some pics later. I am really quite proud of it. My boys are loving hiking and we have logged about six miles in the last four days. That is pretty good with a 4yo tagging along. It's great to have the kids and/or wife to carry all the gear too.

My sciatic is killing me lately. I cant tell if the walking is helping or not. We did find baby sasquatch footprints in the mud. I am serious. Small human like footprints in the mud! Lots of them. What kind of crazy kid would walk barefoot in the mud? It's bigfoot or aliens. I watch the shows on TV. There is no other logical explanation.

I have to go put a coat of varnish on my bathroom cabinets now. It was supposed to be done before the hike.

You're right. Aliens. No other explanation. Ha!

I spent about an hour Sunday morning taking my daughter to her bassoon lesson in downtown Mobile. It was an early 11:30 lesson so I had to have a breakfast beer at the Bier Garten.

Had an Oskar Blues Ten-Fidy with a cigar on a beautiful Sunday morning. Nice...

10346627_10202835104430721_459441118600910886_n.jpg

They went to a really really good party.

Actually I've had practically no dental care since I about 8. Long story, but a couple of decades of neglect will do that.

`I posted the below on another thread..

I should have posted it here first. I feel a fellowship here that I certainly do not apologize for.

May all the days of your lives be filled with happiness and peace..

Truly,

Dan

Hey all!

Some of you know things about me. Others don't.

For the record. I like beer! I like a few things too. Alcohol

I truly love HBT. I love the DIY projects the most.

I'm not trying to be somber but probably will come across that way.

I've edged on to drinking to much. Some might be correct in calling me an alcoholic.

That is NOT what this site is about, I figure this place is about good people who brew beer, share their experiences brewing beer. That is something wonderful

I've let myself get a bit out of control. I haven't even brewed in a year. I have all the equipment to go all grain... and have.

Brewing to me is not about drinking beer.. It's about creativeness.

For now though, internet friends, the next brew I do will only be because I love to create. It's not so much about the brew I make. I'ts more of what I can create.

Fifth sentence first. I'm an alchololic. I know I have many friend here from the brewing community. I truly hope my new acknowledgement wont keep you from saying...."Hey Dan, whats up brother? Love you man"

Dan D.. out for now .
Dan is invisible

`I posted the below on another thread..

I should have posted it here first. I feel a fellowship here that I certainly do not apologize for.

May all the days of your lives be filled with happiness and peace..

Truly,

Dan

Dan, you never stop surprising me. It takes a lot to say things like that, even on the internet.

Enjoy the Hawaiian rays and know that you've done good for others. You've helped me more than you'll ever know.

Cheers.

Evening Dan! Whats join on over in Hawaii these days? I bet the waves are nice, sand is warm and the sunsets beautiful. Been looking for ur unique posts and from the heart posts. Love ya man. Still working on finding that winning lottery ticket so we all can come for visit and a toast on the beach.

Doug

Dan, you never stop surprising me. It takes a lot to say things like that, even on the internet.

Enjoy the Hawaiian rays and know that you've done good for others. You've helped me more than you'll ever know.

Cheers.

Thank you. I truly respect your words because I know they come from your heart.

I talked to PP about my new awakening. Believe me he was very supportive.. He's, "Pappy" in my world. I don't apologize for calling him that.

Back when the world was at war with Germany and the Eastern front, an American man became the Skipper of a squadron of misfits. Their leader was Pappy Boyington.

He was a bit nuts, very knowledgeable, pulled a bunch of misfits together to become a fighting force.

There might not be the same exact fighting going on right now. But I will say, in my heart, PP, or Pappy,. Is a man of good character

Biding my time. I need to go to my first meeting in a little while.

Without getting all mushy.

You guys are my friends.. Even if don't drink beer much again. I do know that those of you who have come to know me, those of you that I know.

Beer and brewing is a common bond among us, as is acceptance and good tidings.

I keep rewriting my last sentences so other than re-write again:
I can not think of giving up this forum. Talk of brewing is good,, always new ideas come forward as does creativeness. For that I'll never leave this place.

As I seek sobriety I hope I do not lose my good friends.''

truly,

Dan

Thank you. I truly respect your words because I know they come from your heart.

I talked to PP about my new awakening. Believe me he was very supportive.. He's, "Pappy" in my world. I don't apologize for calling him that.

Back when the world was at war with Germany and the Eastern front, an American man became the Skipper of a squadron of misfits. Their leader was Pappy Boyington.

He was a bit nuts, very knowledgeable, pulled a bunch of misfits together to become a fighting force.

There might not be the same exact fighting going on right now. But I will say, in my heart, PP, or Pappy,. Is a man of good character

Biding my time. I need to go to my first meeting in a little while.

Without getting all mushy.

You guys are my friends.. Even if don't drink beer much again. I do know that those of you who have come to know me, those of you that I know.

Beer and brewing is a common bond among us, as is acceptance and good tidings.

I keep rewriting my last sentences so other than re-write again:
I can not think of giving up this forum. Talk of brewing is good,, always new ideas come forward as does creativeness. For that I'll never leave this place.

As I seek sobriety I hope I do not lose my good friends.''

truly,

Dan

Kind words Dan, thanks for that. Good luck with your new life in paradise.

Back