I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it!!!

Not the prettiest cut, snap. But I checked it out with my Fluke Meter and no continiutity between sides. Not pretty though, pretty embarrassing to show.. so I won't; my camera at this time wouldn't even' put up a good pic anyway.

Don't ask me why because I don't have a freezer to turn into a ferm chest or keezer. I got some STC-1000 temperature controllers for cheap and want to make a full blown hot and cold controller out of them. I'm really not sure if I'm more hopped up (no pun intended) about making beer or just making things. I know I am about a 3-4 on the DIY scale. I just love making things. I usually screw up, figure it out then forget everything and do the same again.. I graduated from the school of "Hmh?".

Dan,
Glad ur enjoying the move. No one understands the gals. Been married 30+ years, still makin mistakes!
I believe that we all need a little DIY assistance once in a while. This is the right spot to get almost any type of DIY tutoring.
Make sure the is a nice gap where u made the cut\snap. Don't need any arcing across the gap!
Hows Dasher adapting to the new place?

Dan,
Glad ur enjoying the move. No one understands the gals. Been married 30+ years, still makin mistakes!
I believe that we all need a little DIY assistance once in a while. This is the right spot to get almost any type of DIY tutoring.
Make sure the is a nice gap where u made the cut\snap. Don't need any arcing across the gap!
Hows Dasher adapting to the new place?

Hey Doug!

Thanks for the advice! I did definitely put some separation between the hot points.. just not pretty. No pending fire hazards to deal with.

Dash has been here a few months before me. He misses running. We used to have a big back yard.. not so much now. I'm not complaining, Dash isn't either.

Life's good, Doug.. It's okay. Truly appreciate your support. Pretty sure that need won't end soon. Cheers my brother!

Thanks for the advice! I did definitely put some separation between the hot points.. just not pretty. No pending fire hazards to deal with.

Don't worry about it, Dan. Nobody will see that part of it anyway If you put it in a box. I used Misplaced-canuck's thread when I built my HTC-1000. He has labeled pictures. Perfect for those of us that aren't the most talented DIYers... If I had known how easy it was going to be I would have never spent the $ on a Johnson controller when I built my first fermentation chamber.

There is a YouTube video that I saw a few years back called
Brewing Beer at Home with Ed

This guy uses boiling water to mash in, flowing out of a shower head and some how he achieves his ultimate mash temp of 158 for his amber ale. He talks about water and temperature volume/heat, respectively but not in detail. I know he has been bashed for his brew method but what he does apparently works well for him.

I listen to this guy talk and can't help but get a feeling he is more than likely retired from a job where mechanics and precision were important as was a solid foundation in fundamentals. He truly reminds me of the Navy Chief mechanic in the WWII movie with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis; Operation Petticoat.

Ed would be the Chief of the Boat.

The enthusiasm in his voice and joy he gets from explaining his set up..it's pretty terrific. Love this guy.
Brewing Beer with Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend, Ed Herbstreet, that used to play this song. He was such a stoner, but he could play the guitar just like ringing a bell. We shared a house, then a trailer, and we both joined the USMC together. He was from St. Mary PA, home of Straub beer. His old man kept a kegger down in the basement, and when I went to his house we drank that stuff. It's a good beer.

Over the hump day, for your late night soundtrack, the Osborne Brothers.

Pappy, cool story, great song! Do you ever see that roommate these days? That was a good tune you put up. Fun days of past!! :)

I dedicate this song to Pappy, passedpawn :)

PP is a pretty dang good guy.

You made me think of this song Pappy

Cheers!

(I'm not from Alabama, but this song reminds me of home)

So do I have to much time on my hands at the moment...

Answer: Yes

A few years ago I started a thread called "My Favorite Country Songs". It been doing well for a couple years now. Bunch of great music on it now. I looked back on it tonight, the first three videos have been scrubbed, they don't exist anymore. But the fourth of fifth on start playing again

I'm going to post the link. Because, because, I'm not sure. Maybe Im just stubborn, maybe I want more exposure on my country music thread... I just want to share.

I suppose force sharing is totally against what I say I believe in.. I'm not a communist or liberalist. Least I don't hope I am

Here's a link to a favorite of mines.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/my-favorite-country-songs-317888/

I'd like to try some saisons myself, my liqour store wouldn't even know what they are though.. and my LHBS that would have saison yeast is about 4 hours away from me

I've got nothing against the rest of the good music in the world, I got a soft spot in my heart for some good old country music is all.

Music can bring all sorts together, just like a good beer, not everyone enjoys it, but most can appreciate it

Music can bring all sorts together, just like a good beer, not everyone enjoys it, but most can appreciate it

You slipped in that JC there. I guess I may have a soft spot. We need to empty a few glasses together someday. Kids gotta get to school, I gotta work. I'm signing off my good friends. Talk with you soon.

I've made two of them, very drinkable. MHurst111 sent me a rye saisson that was superb. I'd say the best I've ever had. I'll ask him to send you his recipe.

PP
Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to get good comments on something you make. bberg, I PM'd the recipe.

Dan,

Talked to my sister. She can fit a small beer care package in her luggage to HI when she goes next month. I'll send a few of CO finest canned beers. Not sure if she will just drop it off at your place or what she will do, but I'm sure we can work something out.

PP
Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to get good comments on something you make. bberg, I PM'd the recipe.

Dan,

Talked to my sister. She can fit a small beer care package in her luggage to HI when she goes next month. I'll send a few of CO finest canned beers. Not sure if she will just drop it off at your place or what she will do, but I'm sure we can work something out.

Im feeling pretty humble. Your and your sister's effort. Im truly not worthy of your sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you ever get

Sorry. Got interrupted and had to sign out for the evening. Now Ive lost my train of thought.

Maybe i was about to say, do you ever get distracted and forget what you're about to say. :)

Im going out on a limb. Not really though.

The video of the airplane

The sky overhead, for sure is Hawaiian skies. The airfield is on the MARINE Corps base on the peninsula Kaneohe. Ill bet my last dollar im correct.

If I have any change left over. I'd bet the guy in the white shirt driving the airplane is is the motivator and the guy at his side built the plane. Between the two of them they create some great things.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brewh

Im going out on a limb. Not really though.

The video of the airplane

The sky overhead, for sure is Hawaiian skies. The airfield is on the MARINE Corps base on the peninsula Kaneohe. Ill bet my last dollar im correct.

If I have any change left over. I'd bet the guy in the white shirt driving the airplane is is the motivator and the guy at his side built the plane. Between the two of them they create some great things.

Looks like Dayton OH Dan. Sorry.

I built one of those planes a long time ago, a prop plane. I didn't have the money for the controller or the engine, so I never flew it. I have another sweet kit in the closet that I've had for 25 years and never built. Maybe when I retire.

You say Dayton. I say Hawaii

Doesn't matter. We each see what we want to see. Only human

Pull that plane out of the closet, Pappy. You don't need to wait till you retire.

Man, if I lived down around your parts. I might just stop by for a beer and help you get that bird in the air.

You should give it a go Pappy. Put up a youtube video

Nobody here going to laugh. You're among friends

That is crazy awesome video! Some of us spend $$ to brew beer, others spend $$ to fly toy airplanes. Amazing stuff.

You say Dayton. I say Hawaii

Doesn't matter. We each see what we want to see. Only human

Pull that plane out of the closet, Pappy. You don't need to wait till you retire.

Man, if I lived down around your parts. I might just stop by for a beer and help you get that bird in the air.

You should give it a go Pappy. Put up a youtube video

Nobody here going to laugh. You're among friends

Haha, I have no pride, I'd put a video up if I built it. But I've been looking at buying a quadcopter for a while now. They are unbelievable. Mount a camera under them, they send back video over wifi, you can fly them POV (point of view). Check this out:

Note the goggles he puts on. He's not looking at the quadcopter. He is seeing what it sees.

ThAt is a beautiful video

Big things like Niagara Falls and the big ocean gives me the willies. Its sort of like claustrophobia but different

I thought this the appropriate are to share. This is the best beer I've made to date. I named it freedom ale

1398468351792.jpg

Back