I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently google and I are not in sync tonight, isn't there an HBT book club? A thread like, whats on your bookshelf? Show us your reading list... I'm sure there is. I can't find it. Re-reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", but looking for something new.

Apparently google and I are not in sync tonight, isn't there an HBT book club? A thread like, whats on your bookshelf? Show us your reading list... I'm sure there is. I can't find it. Re-reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", but looking for something new.

I seem to recall a thread like that, too, but the only one I could dig up is this thread which doesn't look quite right to me.

If you haven't read Altered Carbon, you might try that. It has some similarities to the eponymous story in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

I seem to recall a thread like that, too, but the only one I could dig up is this thread which doesn't look quite right to me.

If you haven't read Altered Carbon, you might try that. It has some similarities to the eponymous story in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

I was looking through my old Youtube videos and found this.

My crew on the 87' patrol boat I commanded taking a fishing boat in tow.

Good, dedicated kids, every one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I met up with passedpawn today. We talked beer and had coffee with the family. This guy is a nut riding 50+ miles a day on his bike. More power to him.

While we are talking about navy/coast guard etc. I took a trip tonight. A pirate cruise. We all had a real good time.

Nice ya meet ya passpawn and it's a beautiful area in which you live.

I think I enjoyed the pirate ship ride as much as anyone. Walking on a rocking boat brought back memories for me. It's been well over 10 yrs since I rode those great navy ships across the Atlantic.

The last time I was on a big boat in the ocean I was scared to death....this time I was a pirate. Aaarrrrgggggoppprooost!!! Maybe the rum helped!!

Thanks for taking the time to meet me passedpawn, I'll send something your way soon. Cheers.

I met up with passedpawn today. We talked beer and had coffee with the family. This guy is a nut riding 50+ miles a day on his bike. More power to him.

While we are talking about navy/coast guard etc. I took a trip tonight. A pirate cruise. We all had a real good time.

Nice ya meet ya passpawn and it's a beautiful area in which you live.

I think I enjoyed the pirate ship ride as much as anyone. Walking on a rocking boat brought back memories for me. It's been well over 10 yrs since I rode those great navy ships across the Atlantic.

The last time I was on a big boat in the ocean I was scared to death....this time I was a pirate. Aaarrrrgggggoppprooost!!! Maybe the rum helped!!

Thanks for taking the time to meet me passedpawn, I'll send something your way soon. Cheers.

It was truly my pleasure. I was impressed with your experience with lagers. Might have to hit you up for some advice in the near future.

Glad you liked Cap'n Memo's ship. It ran right near me as I crossed the memorial causeway bridge there. I hope Lisa/Joe Jr/Liver had fun as well.

It was truly my pleasure. I was impressed with your experience with lagers. Might have to hit you up for some advice in the near future.

Glad you liked Cap'n Memo's ship. It ran right near me as I crossed the memorial causeway bridge there. I hope Lisa/Joe Jr/Liver had fun as well.

No one will understand liver, but my liver is doing quite well...maybe a bit overworked.

Ran into some pirates that I thought were just part of the show while standing in line for the ship. I asked if I needed to fold liver's stroller and they said "oh we don't work here, we just dress up as pirates for fun".

It was fun! Lots of it. My son won musical chairs, I had a partial bud light, then moved to rum,,,,just enough to my wife mad she had to drive. Here's a pic of my night.

image.jpg

reinstone is referring to Clearwater's Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise. It's a fun attraction of C. Beach.

images

Honestly, a lot more fun than Disney.... Boats, pirates, women pirates, rum, a nice day and my kids loved it. Money well spent....Now back to the cool Midwest where we will go from cold to oppressive heat over the course of one week.

See ya next spring Florida and passedpawn.

This is for you LG; I doubt anyone else will like it. I do. There is some vocals starting at 1:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHhlaspXVgo
I did indeed enjoy that. Thank you.

No new paintings this weekend. I did do some minor work on the last one I posted. It's been glazed and had a small amount of neon paint applied. The day glow compounds that make neon colors so bright also fluoresce under a black light.

EDIT: Well, I did do a materials study to find out exactly how some of the new mediums, etc... I got work.

005 Deep Cave Light 01.jpg

005 Deep Cave Light 02.jpg

005 Deep Cave Light 03.jpg

We cover the clock pretty well. One of the mods is in Europe, so he picks up the late night pretty well. I just knocked out a spammer a few minutes ago... they like to strike in the wee hours.

What part of Europe if I can ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you read the other Phillip K. Dick books?

Dan..hope all goes well for you over the next few days. Lots for u to cover before ur departure to Hawaii. Best wishes for you and ur wife and the future.

Dan..hope all goes well for you over the next few days. Lots for u to cover before ur departure to Hawaii. Best wishes for you and ur wife and the future.

Thanks Doug. At my son's house tonight. We're heading out early tomorrow morning to drop off my car. I thought he was taking the day off work but he isn't.

Pretty cool PP and Reinstone got a chance to meet! Sounded like a fun time!

LG, your works are awesome!

My son is a little but of a control freak. Right now he's telling his wife and I we all have to hit the rack now. Haha.

I live off 4-5 hours a night mostly and catch up on weekends. I know thats not healthy. I think when i get back to a regular life with my wife, there's definitely aspects of such an intimate relationship that brings on a peaceful night's sleep. 😊

Mark your calendars. I actually have a brewing related question. 😃. I have a 50' 1/2" copper immersion chiller and i added a recirc tube at the top.

As i cool down the wort i use a chugger pump to flow the wort, recirculate it across the chiller. Read about that idea on HBT.

My soon to be ground water will be warm, pretty much 80f all year long so i bought 20' of 1/2" copper for a pre-chiller.

Question. Do i cool the wort with ground water temp first and then ice down the pre-chiler? It will all be connected in series for simplicity sake.

Also, will rock sea salt lower the freezing temp of the ice or do i need to use the rock salt used for water conditioners and such

Thanks!

Dan, I have 80* ground water here in Alabama. I use a pre-chiller. Both my chiller and pre-chiller are 3/8 copper. I use the pre-chiller in a 40 qt cooler with ice and don't use any salt. I don't cool the wort first, I just go directly to the pre-chiller and chiller combo. It takes less than 15 minutes to cool my wort to 65* this way. I don't have a recirc tube so I have to keep both the pre-chiller and chiller moving to facilitate heat transfer. You will only have to move the chiller.

Hmm - do you guys brew in the summer? I started the fall and never had to worry about hot fermentation temperatures...

Hmm - do you guys brew in the summer? I started the fall and never had to worry about hot fermentation temperatures...

I try to do most of my brewing over the winter. Just makes things easier. I think I'm going to try some saisons this year though.

Sup guys? Fish bite isn't on yet. Water is nice and peaceful though. Guess I'll have to patiently wait another week or two. After the last couple early springs that we've had I'm not liking this waiting game. Good news is, I've got plenty of time to get my hops straitened around. Usually they're going stupid on me by the time I get back from fishing. Anybody hit on the redraw? I didn't even check.

I do. I have a big chest freezer in my garage that holds fermentation temps right where I need it.

Me too. I have an old refrigerator with a temperature controller for fermentation.

My biggest issue is high ground water temp, but I solved that with my pre chiller.

My other issue is that it gets to be well over 100* in my garage. I solve that by drinking cold drinks...:D

Me too. I have an old refrigerator with a temperature controller for fermentation.

My biggest issue is high ground water temp, but I solved that with my pre chiller.

My other issue is that it gets to be well over 100* in my garage. I solve that by drinking cold drinks...:D

I chill with pool water. That's near 90 in the summer (!). I just get it to that temp, toss in the chest freezer, and by the evening it's at pitching temps. I have no problem with this.

Dan, I have 80* ground water here in Alabama. I use a pre-chiller. Both my chiller and pre-chiller are 3/8 copper. I use the pre-chiller in a 40 qt cooler with ice and don't use any salt. I don't cool the wort first, I just go directly to the pre-chiller and chiller combo. It takes less than 15 minutes to cool my wort to 65* this way. I don't have a recirc tube so I have to keep both the pre-chiller and chiller moving to facilitate heat transfer. You will only have to move the chiller.

Thanks for the advice. Im probably overthinking this but till I can brew again all i can do is imagine. :)

PP, I know it was many moons ago but that video you posted where you cooled your carboy in your pool is classic!

I never use to worry too much about chilling. If get the wort Down to around a hundred and the leave it overnight in a temp controlled chest freezer. I dont have that option these days. Sold the freezer and dont really have the space for one now. My two car garage and man cave i gave up for two covered car ports. Haha.

On a side note my wife linked a craigslist sale. It said they would build a kegerator for a 500-600 buck down payment. And overall cost of 1500-1800 bucks. Nuts!!! Just a standard fridge and they talked much of using brass fittings!

Dan, Same issue cooling wort and fermenting here is in the sunny desert, warm water, warm temp. I cool the wort initially with tap water and then switch to ice water in the immersion chiller. Keep the wort moving, gentle stirs work for me. Fermentation happens inside a Cool Brewing bag (https://www.cool-brewing.com). I just add frozen liter bottles of water to adjust the temp. Sure is cheaper than a fridge for one carboy, lots more portable.

I still bottle, no need for a kegerator. Yeah, bottling take time (cleaning, sanitizing, filling capping) but sure is easy to share. No leaks,nothing to balance, lines to clean etc. Some day that might change. For now my money is on making a better beer.

My two cents. Now back to my Gose made by a local brewery. These guys have made gold, don't tell anyone, I want it all for me!

Thanks for the link Hefe. I might have to go that route for fermenting

LRB, great time of the year to go camping. Where did you go?

Back