I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great story. Dan, I know you will particularly enjoy it.

[ame]http://youtu.be/lZe2H8nvUAM[/ame]

Hope you and yours have a relaxing Thanksgiving in the true meaning of the holiday. Cheers.

thanksgiving-rockwell.jpg

I cleaned my kitchen after work today. Must have it ready for the cooking tomorrow. I think this is the third time it's been this clean since I moved in.

kitchen 1.jpg

So, have any of you ever ordered sacks of grain from fiftypoundsack.com? I need a couple sacks of grain, so I'm trying to find the best price. Unfortunately there aren't any places local to me that sell grain..

They are reputable. Of course, you'll have to mill your own grain. Morebeer's crush is supposedly not very good. BMW (Brewmaster's Warehouse), on the other hand, seems to be consistently applauded as the best place for pre-crushed grain.

But do you have a local homebrew club or group? Group buys are without a doubt the best value. I get a 55lb sack of 2-row for under $25 this way. The most "premium" malt I get (Weyermann *floor-malted* Bohemian pilsner, not just their regular Bo Pils) still comes in under $45 for a 55lb sack. My local club arranges a group buy every season (i.e. trimonthly). We piggyback off the order of a local brewery... they malt company "sponsors" us with free delivery, and the brewery dies likewise and lets us use their space on Friday night and Saturday for receiving, sorting, and distributing. When you can buy malt that cheap, even a good roller mill pays for itself pretty quickly.

50 lb sack is the bulk department for Rebel Brewer. Rebel has always been great when I've ordered from them. I rarely order online anymore as my LHBS is ridiculsously good for both price and selection.

Rebel Brewer is going to give me a beautiful conical for Christmas so I highly reccommend them. :mug:

[edit: it looks like my odds are currently at about 1:2611, but there's a chance]

12:30 AM. Kids and wife sleeping like logs. I'm on the back patio enjoying the "frigid" SoCal winter temps... I had to even put on a sweatshirt!

Got an Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 maduro in my hand, a growler of Pizza Port beer by my side, Pandora and HBT on the phone, and a big-ass brisket going in the smoker.

Life is good.

ForumRunner_20131128_003837.jpg

ForumRunner_20131128_003857.jpg

They are reputable. Of course, you'll have to mill your own grain. Morebeer's crush is supposedly not very good. BMW (Brewmaster's Warehouse), on the other hand, seems to be consistently applauded as the best place for pre-crushed grain.

But do you have a local homebrew club or group? Group buys are without a doubt the best value. I get a 55lb sack of 2-row for under $25 this way. The most "premium" malt I get (Weyermann *floor-malted* Bohemian pilsner, not just their regular Bo Pils) still comes in under $45 for a 55lb sack. My local club arranges a group buy every season (i.e. trimonthly). We piggyback off the order of a local brewery... they malt company "sponsors" us with free delivery, and the brewery dies likewise and lets us use their space on Friday night and Saturday for receiving, sorting, and distributing. When you can buy malt that cheap, even a good roller mill pays for itself pretty quickly.

Unfortunately we don't have any group buys in my city. A local craft beer store owner managed to pull one off once about 1.5 years ago. That time I got sacks of 2 Row for $30 which was awesome. He wasn't able to make it happen again, though. He had a hard time getting enough brewers together on the deal, and he ended up having to buy quite a few sacks himself to make it happen. He ended up selling all the extra grain he bought in his bottle shop, but it took him forever. He didn't want to do it again I guess. There just aren't enough homebrewers in my city. My city has quite a large population, so I'm surprised homebrewing hasn't taken off more. Hell craft beer in general still hasn't taken off. As a matter of fact the bottle shop I mentioned above just closed down last week after 2 years of struggling to stay in business. They had the best craft beer selection in town, so now it's going to be a lot harder for me to get good beer.

Leftover cranberry suace. Turn it into wine? Cranberries, corriander, tangerine, wit beer, oranges and honey. Seems like it would want to ferment.

It's funny... I guess us homebrewers all think alike, because I was thinking I should use the leftover candied yam juice in a beer. Maybe a pumpkin or yam beer or even a holiday ale.

Awesome photo PP. I ate 5 saltines and 3 black olives for Thanksgiving. Doesn't matter, I had the day to myself and loved every minute of it.

I might have to kick my son to the curb soon. I think he is taking too seriously what relatives told him, that he needed to "take care of his mother", and "watch out for her". Because now hubby is becoming aware again and he's trying to take care of me and watch out for me too. Between the 2 of them, it's a little suffocating.

Yes, the possum still lives under my house. Now the men of the household have taken over trying to destroy him but are convinced it's an armadillo living under there and not a possum at all. They are wrong, I have seen the oppossum!!! It's fat and has scraggly, wiry hair all over it's hideous body. I have seen it drinking water out of the dog's outside bowl. It is not an armadillo and I have no idea how they got that ridiculous idea anyway. Hubby says, "You see a dark figure scuttle by and you assume it's whatever your mind dreams up!" I think he is trying to tell me that I am seeing things that are not there, but I have seen the possum, and I know what he looks like, he's ugly and he's a possum.

passedpawn said:
Last night at Casa Passedpawn. I cropped it to make this shot look like the Norman Rockwell shot (above).

Love it!

LabRatBrewer said:

Haha!

BL, if you say it's a possum, I believe you. The guys probably just think it would be more interesting to have an armadillo under the porch than a possum! :)

So, every year I grind about 4 lbs. of hazelnuts for baking German Christmas treats. I normally use my grandmothers old antique meat grinder and hand crank the nuts. That usually takes 1-2 hours, and it wears me out. This year I decided to do something different. I used my Corona mill instead. It grinded 4.5 lbs. of hazelnuts perfectly in about 60 seconds. I'll never hand crank ever again! Being a homebrewer has many perks!

IMG-20131201-00528 (2).jpg

IMG-20131201-00529.jpg

So, every year I grind about 4 lbs. of hazelnuts for baking German Christmas treats. I normally use my grandmothers old antique meat grinder and hand crank the nuts. That usually takes 1-2 hours, and it wears me out. This year I decided to do something different. I used my Corona mill instead. It grinded 4.5 lbs. of hazelnuts perfectly in about 60 seconds. I'll never hand crank ever again! Being a homebrewer has many perks!

I would never grind my nuts for 1-2 hours. I'm glad you found a better way.

My mom has a hazlenut tree in her yard. She actually got a small harvest a few times before the platypus found it...

Anyone here get gout? My ankle for the second time in the last three years. Over two weeks and still not gone. I pushed it a little too hard today. Icing it as I type.
My mother does. She drinks apple cider vinegar if it won't go away.

Stauf, what do you do with them after you grind them?

I use them to make Lebkuchen (German gingerbread style cookies), Hazelnut Meringue cookies, Linzertorte (Jelly filled tort), and Pfeffernusse ("Pepper Nuts" a German spiced cookie)..

The ground nuts are used as an ingredient in the dough.

I use them to make Lebkuchen (German gingerbread style cookies), Hazelnut Meringue cookies, Linzertorte (Jelly filled tort), and Pfeffernusse ("Pepper Nuts" a German spiced cookie)..

The ground nuts are used as an ingredient in the dough.

Look at that, a list of things for me to learn how to make. Thanks. :mug:

TNGabe said:
This is great story. Dan, I know you will particularly enjoy it. Video Link: http://youtu.be/lZe2H8nvUAM

TNGabe, sorry I took so long to get back.

That, truly is a heart rendering story and one of Thanksgivings. The Great Generation are just that. GREAT! Humble, legendary and people we should all get a chance to know before they are gone

You ought to shoot the clip over to AirborneGuy. I know he would appreciate that. Very much, I think.

Hope you had a bless full Thanksgiving day.

Cheers man!

Leadgolem said:
I cleaned my kitchen after work today. Must have it ready for the cooking tomorrow. I think this is the third time it's been this clean since I moved in.

LG, you're doing a whole lot better than me. My floors were covered from everything from dog dung to axle grease my first few months. Don't ask. :)

Hope you had a blessed thanksgiving in your home.

Tried to like this post. No luck with that on a cell phone.

But just wondering? We live at the same address? Reason I ask is because pretty sure TX said he shipped it to mine already. 😊

mcbaumannerb said:
There you go Dan - learn how to malt barley, find a farmer to grow it for you and you can clean house with the cheapest grain on Oahu!

McB, you give me great hope! :) I have no idea how to set something like that up. I did talk with my wife about growing hops. I told her they are good as gold. ;)

She has the green thumb in the family. So maybe? Cheers!

passedpawn said:
Hope you and yours have a relaxing Thanksgiving in the true meaning of the holiday. Cheers.

Thank you PP, I (looked ahead) know you will NW! :)

Cheers Pappy!

Back