I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, here's postmodern for ya

Last edited by a moderator:
LG, any idea on why my puter fan stirplate doesn't really pull? i've got a liter starter going now, but it's got less than an inch vortex going. Buddy made it and gave it to me. I should just be happy people like to give me stuff, but I'd be even happier if I coould build the yeast for a baltic porter.
You are using an actual stir rod right? The improvised ones I tried didn't work very well.

I kinda remember somebody saying they got magnets out of a 2.5" notebook HDD. If that was yours, then the magnets aren't strong enough. Remove them and put some decent rare earth magnets on.

Another possible issue is that the magnets are to far from the stir rod. That's why I've got the padding under the fan on mine. It reduces the distance between the stir rod and the magnets.

You are using an actual stir rod right? The improvised ones I tried didn't work very well.

I kinda remember somebody saying they got magnets out of a 2.5" notebook HDD. If that was yours, then the magnets aren't strong enough. Remove them and put some decent rare earth magnets on.

Another possible issue is that the magnets are to far from the stir rod. That's why I've got the padding under the fan on mine. It reduces the distance between the stir rod and the magnets.

It's rare earth, real stir bar, just doesn't pull hard.

Oprah, tipper gore, jello biafra, and ice tea? You should really watch the video. I know there's a lot of nationalism in this thread, but this is my USA, even circa 87, it hasn't changed.

It's rare earth, real stir bar, just doesn't pull hard.

Oprah, tipper gore, jello biafra, and ice tea? You should really watch the video. I know there's a lot of nationalism in this thread, but this is my USA, even circa 87, it hasn't changed.

Which video? And are you encouraging nationalism or saying it's a bit much?

I haven't been able to be awake at night lately. Too sleepy come midnight on the east coast. So, I'll just pretend it's "this time at night".

I recently had a birthday, 39 again. Family got together to buy me a gift, 10,000+ earth worms. Not just loose, crawling all over, they are in something called a Can O Worms and there is a spigot at the bottom to release the "worm juice". Just feed and water them every 2 weeks. I have been reluctant to get into vermiculture because I think worms, especially huge piles of them, are scarey. Then again, I also used to be afraid of bird feet, but I got over that.

I also got a van with all the backseats taken out for my birthday. I never expected a friend to just give me a van after hearing me talk about wanting one. To haul things that shouldn't be out in the sun, in the bed of the pick-up truck. I needed a van. Hubby did give the couple, Jimmy and Kim, a bottle of fine whiskey. Sort of as a trade for the van. Just needed a new radiator, which hubby already helped me fix.

I think I made out like a bandit for my B-day! Things I actually can use.

emjay said:
Which video? And are you encouraging nationalism or saying it's a bit much?

Whoops, I got a little drunk last night. Please disregard. :D

I haven't been able to be awake at night lately. Too sleepy come midnight on the east coast. So, I'll just pretend it's "this time at night".

I recently had a birthday, 39 again. Family got together to buy me a gift, 10,000+ earth worms. Not just loose, crawling all over, they are in something called a Can O Worms and there is a spigot at the bottom to release the "worm juice". Just feed and water them every 2 weeks. I have been reluctant to get into vermiculture because I think worms, especially huge piles of them, are scarey. Then again, I also used to be afraid of bird feet, but I got over that.

I also got a van with all the backseats taken out for my birthday. I never expected a friend to just give me a van after hearing me talk about wanting one. To haul things that shouldn't be out in the sun, in the bed of the pick-up truck. I needed a van. Hubby did give the couple, Jimmy and Kim, a bottle of fine whiskey. Sort of as a trade for the van. Just needed a new radiator, which hubby already helped me fix.

I think I made out like a bandit for my B-day! Things I actually can use.
Nice BL. Though PP is right. The stuff you got wouldn't have been useful to most people, so it sounds like things worked out perfectly. IE: Replacing a radiator is beyond the mechanical skills of most people.

It's Friday, just finished bottling my English pale ale (and it is awesome, the good brew streak continues!), all cleaned up, fed, and relaxing with a Duvel (never had it before - WOW!). Wife is out of the house for the weekend.

Fermenters are soaking in PBW, and I am thinking of brewing something, but don't know what. I've been doing lightly hopped blondes a lot and my last was good, but I drank them thinking that they would be awesome with more hops. I've got a good hoppy EKG pale ale in the bottle, maybe a super hoppy APA is in order.

I'm thinking that I might follow that by something darker, bigger; a porter or dry stout maybe, or a scotch ale. I'm feeling something big, but dryish. I made a sweet stout last spring - came out nice but not quite my thing, and it hasn't been a burden to let it age. It is maturing nicely, and will be awesome after shoveling snow, but I can't face them now.

My wine fermenter is free now, so maybe another batch of apfelwein just because. Or maybe a white wine kit of some sort.

Decisions decisions.

This has been stuck in my head lately, thankfully for no reason at all.

Wahoo! Just bought tickets to see these guys again.

Gonna show those Asheville hipsters how to party.

I got my stuff for the kegerator today. In my defense, I changed my plans a bit after I ordered this stuff. I was looking at this, and realized something. I don't need to valve every single line. The ball lock gas connectors don't leak gas when they aren't connected to anything. So, here's what I'm thinking I still need:

4 1/4" ID x 3' hoses
3 1/4" barbed ball lock gas side connectors
10 ss worm hose clamps

I do not trust those press on hose clamps. Every time I've used them, they've leaked. I've had the occasional work clamp leak, but I can easily tighten those. Hence all the worm clamps.

I bought an LHT fill gauge, I needed an RHT one. That wasn't exactly a mistake. I placed this order thinking I would only have the one regulator in use. If it was setup that way I would have needed an LHT gauge. Considering some of the comments I've read about the usefulness of those gauges since, I'll probably forget it and just use a plug.

The 2 liter soda bottle adapter I've got is ball lock, not pin lock. I've never seen either up close, so until I got my ball lock connectors I wasn't 100% sure what it was. I also realized that force carbing soda in the 2 liter requires a third pressure setting, 45-50 psi. I'm going to shelve that section of the project for the time being. I may revisit it later. I'm going to have the option of running soda in the kegs though, so I may not. I'm not sure what my usage is going to be yet.

Mocking things up also showed that I cannot place the co2 bottle on the compressor hump like I wanted. The gauges are going to stick up slightly to high.... I am, again, considering looking for a chest freezer. I haven't done anything irreversible to the mini-fridge yet.

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Leadgolem said:
I got my stuff for the kegerator today. In my defense, I changed my plans a bit after I ordered this stuff. I was looking at this, and realized something. I don't need to valve every single line. The ball lock gas connectors don't leak gas when they aren't connected to anything. So, here's what I'm thinking I still need:

4 1/4" ID x 3' hoses
3 1/4" barbed ball lock gas side connectors
10 ss worm hose clamps

I do not trust those press on hose clamps. Every time I've used them, they've leaked. I've had the occasional work clamp leak, but I can easily tighten those. Hence all the worm clamps.

I bought an LHT fill gauge, I needed an RHT one. That wasn't exactly a mistake. I placed this order thinking I would only have the one regulator in use. If it was setup that way I would have needed an LHT gauge. Considering some of the comments I've read about the usefulness of those gauges since, I'll probably forget it and just use a plug.

The 2 liter soda bottle adapter I've got is ball lock, not pin lock. I've never seen either up close, so until I got my ball lock connectors I wasn't 100% sure what it was. I also realized that force carbing soda in the 2 liter requires a third pressure setting, 45-50 psi. I'm going to shelve that section of the project for the time being. I may revisit it later. I'm going to have the option of running soda in the kegs though, so I may not. I'm not sure what my usage is going to be yet.

Mocking things up also showed that I cannot place the co2 bottle on the compressor hump like I wanted. The gauges are going to stick up slightly to high.... I am, again, considering looking for a chest freezer. I haven't done anything irreversible to the mini-fridge yet.

Lg. I've been drinking to the point I have no usefully info my friend. Just will say, thAt for me, at least, most rewarding aspect is doing what you are building. Is the experience. I've been one of those peeps that have a half assed plan sometimes that i end up tweaking and everything ends up working well eventually.

In hindsight something's could have been done differently for the better with a better thought out plan.

Where the heck is the drunk icon on this phone? 😎

I've come to the conclusion after watching some favorite show on hi definition TV. It all looks to clean. Looses realdom, or something. Just all to perfect quality. Give me 1980-2000 movie quality I grew up with black and white- imagination

I've come to the conclusion after watching some favorite show on hi definition TV. It all looks to clean. Looses realdom, or something. Just all to perfect quality. Give me 1980-2000 movie quality I grew up with black and white- imagination
Hmm, that's why I listen to audio books. More imagination needed, but mine is still better then any computer animation.

Typically, tonight though has been pretty slow. I'm perfectly fine with that too.

image-748571279.jpg

Found this behind a cabinet. They're remodel our office. Been more or less playing ladder truck all night.

What a beautiful day here in the valley. Yesterday the air quality was lousy, the sky a dull grey with a dirt brown horizon. Today, I don't know where it came from - blue skies, white puffy clouds, almost clean air and the temp was 70-80 degrees. A real treat.

I hit the gym this morning then did laundry then picked up my dog from the people watching him and spent the afternoon at The dog park. My dog, although he considers himself a big dog is actually pretty small. We hung out in the small dog section with the little dogs and grandmas. For real. 😎

What a beautiful day here in the valley. Yesterday the air quality was lousy, the sky a dull grey with a dirt brown horizon. Today, I don't know where it came from - blue skies, white puffy clouds, almost clean air and the temp was 70-80 degrees. A real treat.

I hit the gym this morning then did laundry then picked up my dog from the people watching him and spent the afternoon at The dog park. My dog, although he considers himself a big dog is actually pretty small. We hung out in the small dog section with the little dogs and grandmas. For real. 😎

My dog is maybe 35 lbs and 5 lbs of that is hair. He's gettin old and I've stopped taking him running, but he does get some woods time every now and again. Last time Reggie went for a walk up at Bay's Mountain Park with us, as we were leaving a woman by the visitor's center had to pick up her vicious toy poodle and the woman, speaking to her dog, said 'No no Joe, that's a big dog.' I think Reg was pretty pleased with himself. Maybe it was anthropomorphism, but I think Reggie was proud.

TNGabe, if I could have double liked that last post I would. :mug:

Since I'm not currently in a situation to brew and my brain seems to be going through Brewing Amnesia (it's a technical term :fro:) I've been watching Bobby's, All Grain Primer Series. For me at least, Bobby_M from NJ is a homebrewing teacher and legend among brewers. He unselfishly shares much knowledge with the homebrew community and has now taken his brewing and engineering expertise to market.

I've bought from him. Totally happy with the products he sells. Great price, great quality, great customer service. I don't get paid for promoting this guy.. Just think he has given a whole lot to the community and is worthy of praise and support.

I realize the majority here are all experienced brewers so these videos are probably old news but for some it will be eye opening. :mug:

I think I've settled on my next brew - a dry stout. I can only do partial mashes, but the grain bill for a dry stout is small enough that I can mash all the specialty grains with 2 pounds of 2-row (5 lbs total) and fit it in my big stock pot with the strike water with room to spare. I'll probably do it BIAB, and since I'm mashing at 150F, if I can nail the strike water temp I can throw the whole thing in my oven set to 150F and mash for as long as needed. I'll still have to add in 3 lbs of LME, but this will be the first time I've done more grain than extract.

I managed to tweak my back out last night. I'm not sure how, but it really hurts.

I hit up a couple of second hand places that usually have appliances after work today, I didn't see anything for my setup I really liked.

I cut out some cardboard rounds so I can size things properly.

Great story BobbiLynn. I think our parents, just like us now, overcome these little things in the end. When that stops.. we all loose.

Was talking to my brew partner today talking about all the tech access our kids will have that we never did. Seems like the 50's and 60's were a black hole of assimilation, but with crazy things like tech shop (google it) and access to programming knowledge that didn't exist 10-15 years ago, things are looking pretty good for the next generation. We just need to make sure they don't get a trophy every time they show up to take a crap, etc.

Granted his kid just turned 2, he's got another due in December, I just got married, and we're both in our early 30's, but things are looking up.

Then again, maybe our future kids will reinvent hipsters just to spite us. You never know ...

TNGabe, if I could have double liked that last post I would. :mug:

Since I'm not currently in a situation to brew and my brain seems to be going through Brewing Amnesia (it's a technical term :fro:) I've been watching Bobby's, All Grain Primer Series. For me at least, Bobby_M from NJ is a homebrewing teacher and legend among brewers. He unselfishly shares much knowledge with the homebrew community and has now taken his brewing and engineering expertise to market.

I've bought from him. Totally happy with the products he sells. Great price, great quality, great customer service. I don't get paid for promoting this guy.. Just think he has given a whole lot to the community and is worthy of praise and support.

I realize the majority here are all experienced brewers so these videos are probably old news but for some it will be eye opening. :mug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEA9v7ix8Q&list=PLD29FE33E17F07F8D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZI5i_zNWwo&list=PLD29FE33E17F07F8D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSvCRtVdZU&list=PLD29FE33E17F07F8D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvRL9FbwW8&list=PLD29FE33E17F07F8D

I agree, I just wish he looked older. Kidding aside, his products are top notch.

True, a Sleestack on high def blows: ...crap can't post pic from touch pad, but I was about to unleash horrible Land of the Lost disapointment on you.

can you hear me now? My last reply got lost in the lost interweb galaxy.. Darn, it was a good one too

LRB my riddle buddy friend
I suppose those days might of come to an end
Not our friendship no way
Here I go again bad rhyming today

:mug: LabRatBrewer!

Great story BobbiLynn. I think our parents, just like us now, overcome these little things in the end. When that stops.. we all loose.

I erased the true story because it seemed too weird to share, but yeah, as parents with teenage daughters, which we both are, the rules change and you have to adapt and overcome.

LRB my riddle buddy friend
I suppose those days might of come to an end
Not our friendship no way
Here I go again bad rhyming away

:mug: LabRat!

Dan, our Riddle Thread shall not end
Its just limited time we've to spend
Nonetheless there's more to be guessed
Chickens, streets, corsets, cross-dressed?
Is this a riddle? No, not this time
Nothing but a simple rhyme

LRB, between you and me
The Riddle Thread; kept me alive you see
Back when I was posting there
I drank to much and lost most my hair
For me that was an outlet brother
Not sure I'll post this, maybe ask my mother
No, Mom has no pull on this
She and Dad sleep in heavenly bliss
Whoop, whoop I'm becoming really creepy
Maybe not really, I'm just real sleepy