I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sundays, when I was a kid we often spent the day with Mom's side of the family. The drive was very long for a kid, about an hour and half each direction. (Both up-hill :mug: ) This was in the early to mid-seventies. Cars at the time only had AM radios, air-conditioning if available was never something we had, 8-track tapes were either just coming or had only been available for a short time and seatbelts - Why?

The drive home those Sunday nights, Dad always dialied in a radio show. Some were current and some really old. These were the days before VCRs and what was the other, Beta? Pong was in the near future and affordable computers quite a few years into the future.

We were entering the techno years; reel-to-reel tape recorders, the cassette recorder was affordable and the coolest thing ever. I drilled a hole in my analog mechanical number flipping clock radio to install a 1/4" headphone jacket so I could listen to my favorite radio station with large very foamy headphones. The techno superiority of stereo radio transmitted straight into my ears! It was, something awesome!

CDs eventually became popular and the beloved vinyl LPs were disappearing with the quickness of a raging forest fire in a draught dried Santa Anna wind fanned forest.

Rambling, I am.

Those old fashioned radio shows were something we've lost and that's sad. I say sad because with them we lost imagination, in my opinion. We lost our humility, our basic "party line phone" patience and appreciation for window box fans during humid summer heat spells.

No... Now I really am rambling. :mug:

If you're up to it this is from The Adventures of Philip Marlowe, it hit the radio in the summer of 1947, 11 years after my dad was born. As a teenage kid I heard the series 25 years later along with a bunch of great current (at the time) old time radio shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to listen to Mystery Theater as a kid. Today, I think Garrison Keillor still does his Prairie Home Companion on NPR. I used to listen to that a bit.

On Sundays, when I was a kid we often spent the day with Mom's side of the family. The drive was very long for a kid, about an hour and half each direction. (Both up-hill :mug: ) This was in the early to mid-seventies. Cars at the time only had AM radios, air-conditioning if available was never something we had, 8-track tapes were either just coming or had only been available for a short time and seatbelts - Why?

The drive home those Sunday nights, Dad always dialied in a radio show. Some were current and some really old. These were the days before VCRs and what was the other, Beta? Pong was in the near future and affordable computers quite a few years into the future.

We were entering the techno years; reel-to-reel tape recorders, the cassette recorder was affordable and the coolest thing ever. I drilled a hole in my analog mechanical number flipping clock radio to install a 1/4" headphone jacket so I could listen to my favorite radio station with large very foamy headphones. The techno superiority of stereo radio transmitted straight into my ears! It was, something awesome!

CDs eventually became popular and the beloved vinyl LPs were disappearing with the quickness of a raging forest fire in a draught dried Santa Anna wind fanned forest.

Rambling, I am.

Those old fashioned radio shows were something we've lost and that's sad. I say sad because with them we lost imagination, in my opinion. We lost our humility, our basic "party line phone" patience and appreciation for window box fans during humid summer heat spells.

No... Now I really am rambling. :mug:

If you're up to it this is from The Adventures of Philip Marlowe, it hit the radio in the summer of 1947, 11 years after my dad was born. As a teenage kid I heard the series 25 years later along with a bunch of great current (at the time) old time radio shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbuY779nQk&list=PLNDseCpr3xXRHYGNB74oR5OpUviKjco5U

Nice post Dan! That really paints a nice picture in my mind. I was born in 1970, but I can still relate to some of the things you mentioned.

Stauffbier said:
I also split and cut up in 1/2" pieces. The vanilla all sinks to the bottom when it settles. I hadn't thought about light. That's a good question. I didn't use dark rum for mine either. I used standard Cap'n Morgan.

I must have heard something about light, because I keep my homemade vanilla in my bedroom closet, and refill a small bottle for my kitchen. I hadn't heard about the pieces sticking out of the vodka, though. :(

The rum smelled so good, I made myself a drink after making the extract. Good night all. :)
I've been pouring a little dash here and there in to my stouts and porters. Wow! It makes them taste fantastic! I'll definitely be using some of this extract in my imperial pumpkin ale when I bottle. I may end up drinking it before I ever get around to using it as an extract! That wouldn't be such an awful thing I suppose. When I bake I actually use powdered German vanilla sugar, since alcohol based extracts don't work well in most of the things I bake. This stuff will probably be mainly used for various beverages like mixed drinks, beer, and soda.
I must have heard something about light, because I keep my homemade vanilla in my bedroom closet, and refill a small bottle for my kitchen. I hadn't heard about the pieces sticking out of the vodka, though. :(

The only problem with putting it in a closet or something is the fact that I have an awful memory. I am very much the type of person that if it's out of sight it's out of mind. For now I'm just leaving it on the kitchen counter, so I'll remember to shake it every now and then. I suppose I'll find a spot for it in the pantry in a couple days and TRY not to forget about it.

I've been pouring a little dash here and there in to my stouts and porters. Wow! It makes them taste fantastic! I'll definitely be using some of this extract in my imperial pumpkin ale when I bottle. I may end up drinking it before I ever get around to using it as an extract! That wouldn't be such an awful thing I suppose. When I bake I actually use powdered German vanilla sugar, since alcohol based extracts don't work well in most of the things I bake. This stuff will probably be mainly used for various beverages like mixed drinks, beer, and soda.

The only problem with putting it in a closet or something is the fact that I have an awful memory. I am very much the type of person that if it's out of sight it's out of mind. For now I'm just leaving it on the kitchen counter, so I'll remember to shake it every now and then. I suppose I'll find a spot for it in the pantry in a couple days and TRY not to forget about it.

I just found a 3 gallon jar of papaya mead from over 3 months ago (good thing I write the dates on them) in a kitchen cupboard:p

I just found a 3 gallon jar of papaya mead from over 3 months ago (good thing I write the dates on them) in a kitchen cupboard:p
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Today I found 16 bottles of Dunkel Weizen that I brewed over two years ago. It was boxed up and in my bedroom closet. I kind of purposely forgot about them, though. That batch was fermented too hot. They didn't improve. They're getting dumped on the lawn tomorrow.

...Those old fashioned radio shows were something we've lost and that's sad. I say sad because with them we lost imagination, in my opinion. We lost our humility, our basic "party line phone" patience and appreciation for window box fans during humid summer heat spells...
Hmm, I'm 28. I have a window fan, and I used to listen to some western radio show whose name temporarily escapes me. :) I still pull out hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or something once in a while.

Nothing I've read says exactly why it's bad to have part of the vanilla bean out of the liquid. I'm really not sure how big of a deal that is.

Haha, I made myself a drink with rum not extract. :) I was planning on making some vanilla bean ice cream this weekend and putting the scraped pods in some sugar to make vanilla sugar.

I'm a little worried if I put this in the closet or something I'll forget about it too.

Well, you should have hidden it better. :fro:

putting the scraped pods in some sugar to make vanilla sugar.
Great idea! I new about doing that, but I totally forgot. Thanks for bringing it up! How much sugar are you using per bean?

I'm not worried about leaving an end of bean out of the alcohol. I chopped it all up tiny, and I shake it vigorously as often as I walk by it.

I'm 27 and I remember listening to Theater of the Mind" late at night on local radio (I'd listen to it starting at midnight in my bedroom, in my pre-teen years I believe).

The only particular "series" ("play?") I can recall enjoying at the moment was "The Shadow".

Great idea! I new about doing that, but I totally forgot. Thanks for bringing it up! How much sugar are you using per bean?

I'm not worried about leaving an end of bean out of the alcohol. I chopped it all up tiny, and I shake it vigorously as often as I walk by it.
Oh, about 2 cups per bean I think. The beans are going to be pretty fresh. The seeds will go in the ice cream, the leftover pods will go into the sugar.

I just mixed two split beans with seeds in 2 cups of sugar. It will be going in my Lebkuchen , Pfeffernusse, and Linzer Tort this holiday season.

I've got a six way rice wine experiment to do. Ice cream to make. Planters to setup. Landscaping fabric to install.

Should I add phase 1 of my yeast drying experiments? That's one of the main reasons I built my stir plate...

I still need to finish moving my storage room into the basement, fix my garage door too, look for a freezer to turn into a keezer, and continue the car hunt too.

I've got a six way rice wine experiment to do. Ice cream to make. Planters to setup. Landscaping fabric to install.

Should I add phase 1 of my yeast drying experiments? That's one of the main reasons I built my stir plate...

I still need to finish moving my storage room into the basement, fix my garage door too, look for a freezer to turn into a keezer, and continue the car hunt too.

When I was your age I was quite the multi-tasker. I would have knocked out your above mentioned list in a weekend, easy. These days a list like that would take me 2-4 weekends... :cross:

When I was your age I was quite the multi-tasker. I would have knocked out your above mentioned list in a weekend, easy. These days a list like that would take me 2-4 weekends... :cross:
I probably could, but I'd probably end up with the wrong freezer. I'd definitively end up paying to much for it, and for the car. :)

Here is an old video of Pacific Ocean Park, opened to compete with D-land. POP advertised "Pay One Price" to compete with the A,B.C,D."E" tickets of Disney. My late grandfather was a coaster engineer/designer for the park:

Here is an old video of Pacific Ocean Park, opened to compete with D-land. POP advertised "Pay One Price" to compete with the A,B.C,D."E" tickets of Disney. My late grandfather was a coaster engineer/designer for the park:
I never did like the Disneyland pricing thing.

Now I want a great big fresnel lens...Or maybe some fried eggs.

Hmm, has anybody seen a keezer build that used a regular fridge? I'm wondering how that might work. Could I build a stand for it, and lay it on it's back? It seems like that would bork the compressor.

Fridges are a lot easier to get for practically nothing around here then coffin freezers.

Hmm, has anybody seen a keezer build that used a regular fridge? I'm wondering how that might work. Could I build a stand for it, and lay it on it's back? It seems like that would bork the compressor.

Fridges are a lot easier to get for practically nothing around here then coffin freezers.

I'm no expert, but I think a fridge should remain standing up. Here, CL always has chest freezers cheap. No one has room for them in the garage. Lots of people convert fridges, as I am sure you already know. My understanding is that the freezer chest are much more efficient b/c of the insulation. I hope you find one.

I'm no expert, but I think a fridge should remain standing up. Here, CL always has chest freezers cheap. No one has room for them in the garage. Lots of people convert fridges, as I am sure you already know. My understanding is that the freezer chest are much more efficient b/c of the insulation. I hope you find one.
Yeah, I think your right. Manufactures all say you should leave them upright. I don't really want to convert a standing fridge. You can't fit jack in them. Two, maybe three ball lock kegs...............Hmmmm....

I'll have to look around and see what I can find. Something just occured to me though. If you can install a collar on a chest freezer and expand it vertically, why can't you do that for a standard fridge horizontally? You'd have to build feet for it of course, but that shouldn't be hard.

A coffin freezer is limited by its basic footprint. If you build a standard fridge out, you should be able to expand it to fit whatever you want. As long as the cooling system in the fridge can handle the extra volume anyway. You wouldn't be opening it very often, so any halfway decent fridge should be able to handle some extra volume instead of having the door opening and closing all the time.

I need more information. Right now I'm not sure if I'm a genius or a moron. :D

Yeah, I think your right. Manufactures all say you should leave them upright. I don't really want to convert a standing fridge. You can't fit jack in them. Two, maybe three ball lock kegs...............Hmmmm....

I'll have to look around and see what I can find. Something just occured to me though. If you can install a collar on a chest freezer and expand it vertically, why can't you do that for a standard fridge horizontally? You'd have to build feet for it of course, but that shouldn't be hard.

A coffin freezer is limited by its basic footprint. If you build a standard fridge out, you should be able to expand it to fit whatever you want. As long as the cooling system in the fridge can handle the extra volume anyway. You wouldn't be opening it very often, so any halfway decent fridge should be able to handle some extra volume instead of having the door opening and closing all the time.

Yes, I've seen someone here add a collar to the small (3 feet tall?) dorm type fridges here. There a picture filled thread. I drank away my search function tonight, but its been done on that scale.

You can fit 6 ballocks in a full size fridge

I get 4 ball locks in my apartment sized vintage fridge. Plus room for about 40 bottles and a little freezer tray for hops.

I'll take measurements while I'm out looking on Monday. I'll just figure 9x29". That should be reasonably close. Once I have the fridge/freezer whatever. I'll start planning and ordering things.

So, I can't seem to sleep. I decided to do phase 1 of my yeast drying experiment. It's really simple. I'm taking the yeast butter I harvested from a recent batch, spreading it out on a cookie sheet, and pointing a fan at it. The point being to see if you can just dry harvested yeast and maintain a reasonable viability. I'm using a really healthy sample. Once things are all dried out, I'll do a basic proofing experiment. If things go well, I'll make a starter specifically for drying.

LG, I was able to fit six ball-lock kegs in a full sized fridge but if I ever build another kegerator it will be out of a freezer mainly just because it seems easier to move kegs around in a collared keezer than from the back of the fridge. Fridges do take up less space though and provide freezer storage. I suppose each has different advantages and inconveniences. My fridge kegerator decision was based on space available and I wanted my deep freezer available as a ferm chamber..

As far as putting the fridge on a stand horizontally, I'm pretty that's a no.

You can fit 6 ballocks in a full size fridge

I get 4 ball locks in my apartment sized vintage fridge. Plus room for about 40 bottles and a little freezer tray for hops.

LG, I was able to fit six ball-lock kegs in a full sized fridge but if I ever build another kegerator it will be out of a freezer mainly just because it seems easier to move kegs around in a collared keezer than from the back of the fridge. Fridges do take up less space though and provide freezer storage. I suppose each has different advantages and inconveniences. My fridge kegerator decision was based on space available and I wanted my deep freezer available as a ferm chamber..

As far as putting the fridge on a stand horizontally, I'm pretty that's a no.
Hmm, good news. I'll probably do the fridge thing. That way I can keep the hard liquor and the margarita mix in the freezer section. They are also easier to find around here for some reason.

I mainly went with a chest freezer, because I wanted to clad it in wood. I wanted something that looked like a piece of furniture vs. anything that even remotely appeared to look like a kitchen appliance, since it's sitting in my den. Of course getting the lumber and freezer for free had a lot to do with that. With that said, I would have gladly used a stand up fridge if I would have had to do so.

Yeah, you generally have receivers to separate vapor and liquid refrigerant that must remain upright. But you could purge the system, cut the condenser and evaporator coils off, turn the compressor chassis and other components horizontal, reconnect the heat exchangers and recharge.

Yeah, you generally have receivers to separate vapor and liquid refrigerant that must remain upright. But you could purge the system, cut the condenser and evaporator coils off, turn the compressor chassis and other components horizontal, reconnect the heat exchangers and recharge.

I was thinking the same thing, but that might not be a typical DIY project for some folks. Especially if you don't have a vacuum pump and access to refrigerant.

I was thinking the same thing, but that might not be a typical DIY project for some folks. Especially if you don't have a vacuum pump and access to refrigerant.
Oddly, this had actually occured to me too. It's just more work then I want to go to.

I was looking around today, and realized I've got a mini fridge that will work for a few kegs. I was thinking they would be to tall, but I was defrosting it today and realized I could bend the line for the coolant a little and turn the radiator portion that separates the fridge and freezer sections upside down. That gives me enough vertical clearance inside for a ball lock keg.

I figured I'd get the pieces for a 3 keg system. Then figure out how substantial of a collar I need to build onto this thing so it will accommodate 3 kegs.

This is actually better. I wanted to run 3 soda kegs. Soda kegs should be pretty cold, Somewhere around 38f. I'd want to run sparkling wine/cider/etc... at more like 50f. So two separate units would be better.

I also have another mini fridge that I wasn't even using. I'll stick that on top of the keg fridge for bottles. It's got a freezer section with it's own door that actually works, so the margarita mix can go in there.

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

I got the planters filled and placed. It turns out they took 3 yards of soil a piece. That turned out to be perfect, as it's exactly what I bought. No pictures, it's dark and raining.

Here's a few other things I did today y'all might find interesting.

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Ok LG, it's friggin punkin. Why bother waxing it shut and putting an airlock on it?

Ok LG, it's friggin punkin. Why bother waxing it shut and putting an airlock on it?
The wax is actually to seal the wound to the pumpkin. The idea being that the pumpkin may last longer that way. The airlock isn't really necessary. The lid doesn't fit perfectly, so the gas from the pumpkin pie mead in it should be able to escape easily enough.

What's on the cookie sheet?

Baked yeasties if I remember correctly.
I put some yeast butter on a cookie sheet last night with a fan pointed at it. That's what it looked like this morning. I'll try something with it later to see if it survived the drying process.

Remember when I said my budget for this kegerator/keezer project was 2-300 to start? Well, I just ordered 400 worth of stuff. Which won't quite get me something that will actually work. I still need to factor in filling the co2 bottle and materials to build the collar on the fridge.

That's with using the cheap plastic taps instead of the ones you mount through the side.... Yeah, budget? What budget?

How'd you do that? Thought you were hoarding small fridges.

I know you are mainly serving high pressure so beware those plastic taps. I've heard many a lost keg story. Some shanks and faucets would be best. At least put clamps on the line if you go the cobra tap route.

Back