I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just drank a 22oz Tioga-Sequoia Mt Whitney Pale Ale (one of my favorite pales) and have been belching hops for the past half hour. Suddenly the flavor of my belch hit me! I do believe they are using Simcoe for aroma. In a non-IPA. Brilliant! I did what anyone else in my situation would do and shot them a quick text. Cruz usually responds quick to me. His failure to respond makes me think I'm on the right track!

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, Thunder_Chicken. Below please find my categorical favorite eateries in Astoria.

BBQ- Butcher Bar (or the Strand is a close #2)
Fish- Taverna Kyklades (be prepared for a wait)
Egytian- The Kabob Cafe (Mombar is a nice #2)
Cart Food- King of Falafel and Shawarma (also known around town as "Freddy Falafel after the guy who runs the place)
Diner- Arguably goes to Bel Aire.
Japanese/Sushi- Linn. There are those who disagree with me here... I dislike them.
Brewery- I'm told I absolutely MUST check out Single Cut... but alas I have failed to do so thus far.
Tacos- Broadway and 34th Street cart. Hell ya.

At the end of the day, however, if you asked my absolute favorite... the restaurant I would go to if I hit the lottery... Kabab Cafe. Man can take almost nothing and elevate it to incredible proportions.

More to come as I think of it.

This is fabulous! Thanks a million! :mug:

We hit the Bel Aire a couple years back. All of the diners we hit were sort of a blur now. In truth it is hard to find bad food when you have so much restaraunt competition around. You either are good or you go out of business. That goes for the carts too.

Slightly less exact list and no spreadsheet, but in your honor LG, i've inventoried my empty bottles. I've got about 18 cases of 750s, 4 cases ea 22s and 12s, 2 cases ea 500ml (German style) and 550ml (Sammy Smith's), a little over a case of assorted 33cl, and only 6 375ml. Oh and one empty magnum. All these bottles and I'm going to have to break down and buy some splits (375s). So I've got about 30 cases of empties, or roughly enough for a wine barrel of beer. I'm planning on getting a barrel or two (to start with :D ), so that's my excuse.

In other news, my non-domestic wife has so far today baked cookies, muffins, & some sort of pseudo-moussaka, made lentil soup, is now making yogurt for the first time, and made kombucha for the first time yesterday. I'm feeling a little worried about that 1% pregnancy rate with the implant...

Bah...just cracked a milk stout that I brewed a few months ago and had in the fridge for a week - poured it out and it was filled with little white floaties. Not overcarbonated, tastes OK, but I don't think these floaties were yeast. I have to somehow check the rest of the batch, tough because I can't see into the bottles. I might have a dumper on my hands.

Hmm...just hauled in the case of this milk stout and cracked one warm. Looks and tastes beautiful, nice pour, light yeast dusting at the bottom of the bottle, nothing weird. I'm wondering if maybe the lactose or something else congealed in the last bottle because I chilled it. I put another one in the fridge to see if the same thing happens - all in the name of science, you know. :mug:

Deception Stout 002.jpg

Ahh, my pictures pale in comparison to the beer pic on the cover of that brew magazine. Love it!!

But, anyway, it's picture night. Driving through Tennessee was beautiful. Tractor fest was fun, I think the tractor in the photo is a '48. I got 2 chicken gifts too, the paper mache chicken and rooster framed.

tennesseeview.jpg

cub.jpg

chickengift.jpg

roosterframed.jpg

And now, a couple of my real chickens. A leghorn hen atop the frame for my wood pile and barred rock with the fake chicken in the background. Last picture, ouch, I hurt my finger.

henonwoodpile.jpg

fakechicken_realone.jpg

ouch.jpg

BobbiLynn - you're making me jealous. I wish we could keep chickens here. Somebody had an old chicken coop on this property years ago when it was not so urban, but now the population density is much higher and the board won't allow it. Fresh eggs and free pest control.

Here's a little 80's hair for you all:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, my pictures pale in comparison to the beer pic on the cover of that brew magazine. Love it!!

But, anyway, it's picture night. Driving through Tennessee was beautiful. Tractor fest was fun, I think the tractor in the photo is a '48. I got 2 chicken gifts too, the paper mache chicken and rooster framed.

It's funny how if you raise a few chickens, people assume you want chicken stuff in your house. When we had a birds, my mother-in-law was loading us up on that stuff.

And now, a couple of my real chickens. A leghorn hen atop the frame for my wood pile and barred rock with the fake chicken in the background. Last picture, ouch, I hurt my finger.

Hubby lipping off again? :D

BobbiLynn - you're making me jealous. I wish we could keep chickens here. Somebody had an old chicken coop on this property years ago when it was not so urban, but now the population density is much higher and the board won't allow it. Fresh eggs and free pest control.

Really? Not even a few hens? When you say board are you talking town/city or some sort of HOA?

It's funny how if you raise a few chickens, people assume you want chicken stuff in your house. When we had a birds, my mother-in-law was loading us up on that stuff.

No, hubby is not lipping off again, it was an accident with a pair of shears, self-inflicted wound. Hubby got over his "angry stage" quickly. No need to slap him around anymore.

And yeah, someone in Pennsylvania tried to give me a big rock with a chicken painted on it. My bag was heavy enough, I had to decline that gift.

TNGabe said:

My brother and his second wife went chicken crazy for a while. Not sure how many by real chickens he had, a dozen maybe. Inside their house chicken wallpaper, ceiling light fixtures, knickknack s etc. chickens dominated the decorating theme.

Welcome to the madness Dogbar.

Sailor jerry is on of my go to non whiskey beverages.

On the note of loss, a close friend's step dad died in a car wreck yesterday. He was about my age, early 40's. Head on tahoe vs semi. Having some brews remembering a good guy.
Yeah, Sailor Jerry is one of my favorite rums. I like Kraken too, but it's a little pricey.

It's strange so many people have passed away so recently. I guess when it's time to go though, you just go.

View attachment 143179

Thank you for helping with this. Man, I read quickly but didn't get your name. You now who you are.

Gonna call you Lone wolf Mcquade for now. :)!
I call shenanigans. If I was doing that, I'd take two pictures. One with the head. One after it's cleared. Place the second photo below the first, then use a fitted outline image of the continents to punch a hole in the top layer.

I'm looking at this again. There is the obvious. Pic of the world. There is also something else I see. Akin to looking at clouds or stars and in your head see something unexplainably true. Total clarity.

This thing is like an ink blob test
How to brew the world?

Slightly less exact list and no spreadsheet, but in your honor LG, i've inventoried my empty bottles. I've got about 18 cases of 750s, 4 cases ea 22s and 12s, 2 cases ea 500ml (German style) and 550ml (Sammy Smith's), a little over a case of assorted 33cl, and only 6 375ml. Oh and one empty magnum. All these bottles and I'm going to have to break down and buy some splits (375s). So I've got about 30 cases of empties, or roughly enough for a wine barrel of beer. I'm planning on getting a barrel or two (to start with :D ), so that's my excuse.

In other news, my non-domestic wife has so far today baked cookies, muffins, & some sort of pseudo-moussaka, made lentil soup, is now making yogurt for the first time, and made kombucha for the first time yesterday. I'm feeling a little worried about that 1% pregnancy rate with the implant...
Haha! I've been thinking about getting a couple of small oak barrels myself.

That looks like what I did to my finger pulling a nail out of tire a few weeks ago. It took forever to heal.

Hi all been gone for a while. I got one of those oh dam you got to deploy for a few weeks. Taskers. Back now
Welcome back Mike.

My brother and his second wife went chicken crazy for a while. Not sure how many by real chickens he had, a dozen maybe. Inside their house chicken wallpaper, ceiling light fixtures, knickknack s etc. chickens dominated the decorating theme.

chicken wallpaper and light fixtures..mmmmmmm......need to think about that!

cant match the gourmet cooks here but had pork something off the grill, baked potato and kale salad washed down with Duvel IPA. Great beer, first time past my lips. Getting a good buzz on. Its fun reading the great recipes, someday I'll try to be that good with dinner.

cant match the gourmet cooks here but had pork something off the grill, baked potato and kale salad washed down with Duvel IPA. Great beer, first time past my lips. Getting a good buzz on. Its fun reading the great recipes, someday I'll try to be that good with dinner.
If you enjoyed it, then you are doing it right. :mug:

I hate to be the bearer but, bad news guys...

Spidey was in a terrible power wheels accident with my two youngest boys this afternoon. Thank god the boys are ok but poor spidey might not make it. He was all jacked up on sugar, standing up in the back and would not wear his seatbelt. I know, we have all been there.

The boys set him up in our ICU. We will be standing vigil until we know more. My oldest son is at grandma's and we dont expect a full diagnosis until his return.

Prayers and best wishes please. It's not looking so good:

thumb2_spidey-icu-60831.jpg

Haha! I've been thinking about getting a couple of small oak barrels myself.

As you could probably tell by my bottle hoard, I'm planning on getting full sized barrels. Not sure if I'll go the solera route or actually try and completely fill and empty batch by batch. Maybe one of each. It will be a good excuse to upgrade my bottling set-up with a DIY counterpressure filler and a nicer corker.

I hate to be the bearer but, bad news guys...

Spidey was in a terrible power wheels accident with my two youngest boys this afternoon. Thank god the boys are ok but poor spidey might not make it. He was all jacked up on sugar, standing up in the back and would not wear his seatbelt. I know, we have all been there.

The boys set him up in our ICU. We will be standing vigil until we know more. My oldest son is at grandma's and we dont expect a full diagnosis until his return.

Prayers and best wishes please. It's not looking so good:

thumb2_spidey-icu-60831.jpg

He looks ready for the operation, call in Dexter.

My "knickknacks" are dart trophies, various skulls, a shellacked wasp nest.... Central "piece" in the living room is a big hog head on the wall. Pretty sure I'll use my fake chicken as a decoy to catch raccoons. Maybe even the portrait of a rooster will fool them. I'll hang it on the porch near a trap or something.

Just left the CHP processional for the officer murdered in Vegas. Always sobering. I wasn't expecting to make it, but apparently they took a few hours longer than scheduled and I saw it on my way to work.

I didn't know him personally, only through a few "hellos" at Starbucks, but he had a great reputation.

snaps10 said:
Just left the CHP processional for the officer murdered in Vegas. Always sobering. I wasn't expecting to make it, but apparently they took a few hours longer than scheduled and I saw it on my way to work.

I didn't know him personally, only through a few "hellos" at Starbucks, but he had a great reputation.

I heard a little about that on the radio. His bachelor party, right? He was trying to stop a car jacking in Vegas? Too sad, so very sad.

Bobbi

Shellacked wasp nest? There's got to be a story behind that.

What's the buzz? ( I'm a dork hehehe)

lschiavo said:
I wasn't paying attention but he already had the operation. They kept asking for sharp things. I was busy and would'nt give them any. If I had only known...

Well, you know hindsight is 20/20. A man can only do so much in one lifetime. I'm sure Spidey has been through tough webs before and will be again. Hang in there Spidey! Our thoughts are with you.

Sometimes I remember to browse around HBT and learn something new about brewing, but more often than not, I dwell here, I like this time at night on HBT. I do!

Last edited by a moderator:
LabRatBrewer said:
Sometimes I remember to browse around HBT and learn something new about brewing, but more often than not, I dwell here, I like this time at night on HBT. I do!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfNcwS0IbHA

I resemble that thought. Today I was perusing some actual brew threads and felt a bit guilty spending so much time on this one. It was a fleeting moment.

Shellacked wasp nest? There's got to be a story behind that.

Long story. Epic battle, humankind verses wasps. The nest is really big, barely fits in the space between the TV and the ceiling. Humans won the battle.

Bobbi, maybe past history and I missed or forgot. Did you ever catch that old possum?

No, but also have not seen it around, I think it finally moved on. Possums are nomads so probably was just a matter of time before he moved out on his own. But I did catch a raccoon in the possum trap. I think the possum was too fat to even fit in the trap, I'm blaming his fat ass as the reason he was never caught.

Back