I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks dangerous, TN.:eek:

Nope, says no poisons or dangerous chemicals......unless you count Madam Currie ;)

Oh, it definitely counts as wine. I haven't seen blackberries at good prices this year. I guess I'll just have to grow my own.

Actually, it says no dangerous poisons, or explosive chemicals. I guess they didn't count uranium as poisonous. :)

How funny is that? Of course this is from the era of making kids sit under their desks in nuclear attack drills, but still, uranium ore for kids? Not to mention the other 20 some chemicals in the kit.

I usually just sell junk at the flea markt, this is a little bit nice than my usual old tools, skillets, and fruit jars. Don't really want to pay ebay fees, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. Last one I could find on eBay was in 2011 and it sold for almost $350 and was less complete than mine.

How funny is that? Of course this is from the era of making kids sit under their desks in nuclear attack drills, but still, uranium ore for kids? Not to mention the other 20 some chemicals in the kit.

I usually just sell junk at the flea markt, this is a little bit nice than my usual old tools, skillets, and fruit jars. Don't really want to pay ebay fees, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. Last one I could find on eBay was in 2011 and it sold for almost $350 and was less complete than mine.

I'd look at the E-Bay fees as the cost of getting the higher price. I'm sure if you look at the difference between what you'd get at a flea market or on Craigslist vs. E-Bay you know you'll be way ahead even after the fees.

But I totally understand not wanting to let go of any hard earned money! :D

P.S. - What was the mullet count at the auction?

I'd look at the E-Bay fees as the cost of getting the higher price. I'm sure if you look at the difference between what you'd get at a flea market or on Craigslist vs. E-Bay you know you'll be way ahead even after the fees.

But I totally understand not wanting to let go of any hard earned money! :D

P.S. - What was the mullet count at the auction?

Hard earned nothin! This was easy! Even at 3% or whatever ebay is, it's gonna be the way to go.

One mullet all day. Mom mullet, late. I think mullets are inversely proportional to the quality of the sale. Saturday's auction, where people were paying retail plus, many mullets and even a rat tail who's ringtone was Ke!sha. Sunday's market was bad and close to 20 mullets (i lost count) and an unheard of 3 rat tails! If i were a spiritual man, I'd believe that mullets were the brewniverse's way of cheering me up on bad days.

Hard earned nothin! This was easy! Even at 3% or whatever ebay is, it's gonna be the way to go.

One mullet all day. Mom mullet, late. I think mullets are inversely proportional to the quality of the sale. Saturday's auction, where people were paying retail plus, many mullets and even a rat tail who's ringtone was Ke!sha. Sunday's market was bad and close to 20 mullets (i lost count) and an unheard of 3 rat tails! If i were a spiritual man, I'd believe that mullets were the brewniverse's way of cheering me up on bad days.

You should name your next brew Motueka Mullet! :D

You should name your next brew Motueka Mullet! :D

I will. I've got the last of a 2012 pound to finish off before the 2013 stuff shows up in the next week or two. I've been planning to mash a 10 gallon session IPA and split the boil between us and kiwi hops. Serve both corny/cask at my clubs campout in a month.

Man, I am :drunk:

Sunny 95F here in Massachusetts. Not bad if you are just sitting in the shade, but forget doing anything strenuous. I weeded and spread 2 yards of mulch and I am soaked with sweat and toasted. Went to the store and got a cold rotissery chicken which I have dubbed "dinner", to be washed down with ice cold beer. Whew.

Remember the guy in my trees? I posted a picture of him, pretty sure I did, the guy who cut down all the trees around our place before we got the new roof on. Well, I hope I can figure out how to get the picture he sent to hubby's phone onto my computer. We invited him over to fish in our lake and he caught a HUGE bass!! They thought they were coming over to fish for brim, but surprise, surprise! We let them take 2 bass home and the rest they put back. One was 8 pounds and the other over 6 pounds, the 2 they took home. Well, now the smaller bass will have a better chance to compete. My tree guy said they saw "herds of them schooling around". It didn't occur to me to correct him about herds and schools. But they caught plenty of nice brim too. "Brim is nice bait for bass", the man that was in my trees said.

manintree.jpg

Oh, it definitely counts as wine. I haven't seen blackberries at good prices this year. I guess I'll just have to grow my own.

I didn't use anything besides 1/2 blackberries, 1/2 water, sugar and yeast. Didn't use any pectin enzyme or yeast nutrient. Although I guess I did, I fed the yeast some raisins then later got my chickens drunk off the fermented raisins. And I didn't need anything to break down cell walls, I had already left the berries sealed in the fridge with no oxygen(squeezed all air out of heavy freezer bag). The cell walls were broke down and berries had turned to mostly juice. I used freezer bags but did not freeze them, in the fridge for a week is better but still protects your fruit from spoiling. Remove oxygen and nothing will get it, it will stay good. I have been drinking my concoction prematurely, and starting more as quick as I can, because it's so friggin' good! Like, leave some berries to ferment in a solution for a week or 2, then taste it. I did start a new batch with 1 part juicy berries to 2 parts water, sugar and yeast, it wasn't as good. It was good, but it wasn't as good. It had lost it's body. So has to be one part blackberries and one part water. Added sugar is a must because blackberries have a low sugar count compared to most other fruits and berries. 1 part blackberries, left oxygen-free in the fridge for a week, one part water, 1 pound sugar per one part blackberries or water. EC-118- for each 3 gallons, add enough for 5 gallons. So for a 6 gallon batch, added 2 packets of EC-118, and just throw it in dry. Stir the first 5-6 days then leave it be.

Well, that's what I did and I love it! And I really never had enjoyed wine. That's why I figured it didn't count as wine. But, thank you so much, LG, for telling me it does count as wine and for your encouragement. Not even just now, with the blackberries, but also in the past when I have attempted to ferment various fruit. It is so nice to have an online friend that knows so much about wine making... I know that you are no expert, but I also know you have plenty of experience. ;-)

Just finished getting a batch of Italian wine set-up in the fermenter (found a limited edition kit at the LHBS last weekend.). Won't be sampling that until end of next summer, but the wine pipeline is almost as full as the beer so there is plenty to go around. :ban: (not quite a brew day, but alcohol formation was started so I think it deserves a banana ... Or two :ban: )

Good evening late niters. Over the hump day. It's all downhill from here.

Hope all is well. Dan, all packed up? Bobby, I do remember that pic. I don't like heights, so I was concerned for that guy. Bass is good eating.

I like the jazz singers, especially the latin stuff from Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 and the like. I also like American jazz, Miles Davis & John Coltrane, and of course the recently departed Dave Brubeck.

This rendition of Brubeck's iconic Take Five is really interesting. It's really a fast latin-style version with some nutty scat and a story mixed in. Four your late night soundtrack, Al Jarreau. He's probably a bit stoned here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished getting a batch of Italian wine set-up in the fermenter (found a limited edition kit at the LHBS last weekend.). Won't be sampling that until end of next summer, but the wine pipeline is almost as full as the beer so there is plenty to go around. :ban: (not quite a brew day, but alcohol formation was started so I think it deserves a banana ... Or two :ban: )

Mcbaumannerb, we are still going to meet up for a beer in Philly on Aug 1st, that Thursday evening? I think my son and I arrive 6:45 PM that day. Our hotel is only minutes from the train station. There is City Hall a couple blocks away and the trolley you can catch in front of city hall to go ride around and see some sights. If you are still up for it, about 8:30 PM on the 1st would be good for Michael and I. We'll really have to be back to the hotel and sleeping by 10 PM or at least by midnight. Go do the family thing, then we'll be back in Philadelphia, PA the nights of 4th and 5th of August. With more time on our hands on the way back.

:ban:

Mcbaumannerb, we are still going to meet up for a beer in Philly on Aug 1st, that Thursday evening? I think my son and I arrive 6:45 PM that day. Our hotel is only minutes from the train station. There is City Hall a couple blocks away and the trolley you can catch in front of city hall to go ride around and see some sights. If you are still up for it, about 8:30 PM on the 1st would be good for Michael and I. We'll really have to be back to the hotel and sleeping by 10 PM or at least by midnight. Go do the family thing, then we'll be back in Philadelphia, PA the nights of 4th and 5th of August. With more time on our hands on the way back.

:ban:

I'm going to try but this work project might get in the way (since I have to get ready for vacation.) Can I let you know on the Monday of that week?

It's my Friday morning. I hit myself in the man goods earlier this evening and have been having bouts of nausea for the past 3 hours. My partner doesn't know if he should feel bad or laugh. It's not funny. Ok, it kind of is.

I'm very tired today. Had some nasty calls last night and only got a few hours sleep the past few days. These next few days off are needed. I really need to mow the lawn. It's like a jungle now. Last week when I went to do it the temp was 108. That just wasn't going to happen. Tomorrow morning I'm shooting for getting it done before the baby wakes up. Then cleaning and organizing the garage a bit. Need to wire up the new pump so hopefully I can brew on Saturday.

Also, I got a liquid separation device coming. :drunk:
It's an older one from a guy I race bikes with. I'll modify it a bit to better suit my needs. He's going to give me some pointers on how to use it. Should fit well on the brew stand.

Been digging these guys' style lately.
[ame]http://youtu.be/oajuSNChUOo[/ame]

I'm going to try but this work project might get in the way (since I have to get ready for vacation.) Can I let you know on the Monday of that week?

Sure!

Dang, snaps, sorry to hear about your man goods. That sounds awful. Care to share how exactly that happened?

I was lifting an antique bed frame out of the car and using my thighs for leverage. Slipped off my thighs and up into the boys.

Hi Everybody!

Sorry I haven't kept up with things. Life lately has been full of little challenges and accomplishments, joy and frustration, good times and bad. Hey. Wait a minute. That's life! :mug:

I'm not all packed up. Still a ton of stuff to sell this weekend. Today was an interesting one.

We have two animals we're taking to Hawaii. A cat (for the record I love cats) and Dasher Dawg!
pirate-60497.jpg

Moving to Hawaii is a process with animals. You need their past two original Rabies certs and successful FAVN test, health certificate, documented tick medicine application, money, more money and strict timelines. I've been working with the Veterinarian on base for the last few years to ensure these little family members will be ready for the move.

Submitted the required documentation and import fees to the Hawaiian Quarantine Center two days ago by FedEx. Received an email back today stating they have the documents and money. The cat is good but my dog, Dash failed his FAVN test and will need to be retested and wait 120 days. Excuse me? No he didn't. The Vet said he was good. I called the Vet.

Vet: Oh he's good, just a sec. Oops, sorry he failed back in August 2012
Me: What??? We've been working on this for years and you assured me he is ready.
Vet: Sorry, I'll see if there are any work-arounds

I nearly cried. Dash is part of my family. Quarantine can be done stateside in your own home, that's what we did. I'm not quite sure why it's called quarantine when in your own home? But pay for an animal to be Quarantined or any kennel for 120 days is over 2 grand!

A very long story short. The family that will rent this place is letting him stay here until 120 days after the result of the next FAVN test, so somewhere around end of November. I told them I'd take some money off the rent if they agreed. I'm pretty sure they would do it for free. They're a really nice Navy family.

So it worked out. I'll still get to see Dash on occasion and know he will be taken care of by good people.

Today, my 97 Jeep, which has gotten me back and forth to work, family trips; gave it to my oldest daughter for a few years during college and plan on my youngest daughter using it for college starting next month - Quit running! I've had problems with it before but the occasional repairs far outweigh the cost of a car payment. I'm pretty sure I can fix it. There's a problem with the ignition system. Shouldn't be to hard nor expensive to keep the old Jeep running a few more years.

That's life right? Just keep plugging away and everything will be good.

Cheers friends! :mug:

Dan

Hi Everybody!

Sorry I haven't kept up with things. Life lately has been full of little challenges and accomplishments, joy and frustration, good times and bad. Hey. Wait a minute. That's life! :mug:

I'm not all packed up. Still a ton of stuff to sell this weekend. Today was an interesting one.

We have two animals we're taking to Hawaii. A cat (for the record I love cats) and Dasher Dawg!

Moving to Hawaii is a process with animals. You need their past two original Rabies certs and successful FAVN test, health certificate, documented tick medicine application, money, more money and strict timelines. I've been working with the Veterinarian on base for the last few years to ensure these little family members will be ready for the move.

Submitted the required documentation and import fees to the Hawaiian Quarantine Center two days ago by FedEx. Received an email back today stating they have the documents and money. The cat is good but my dog, Dash failed his FAVN test and will need to be retested and wait 120 days. Excuse me? No he didn't. The Vet said he was good. I called the Vet.

Vet: Oh he's good, just a sec. Oops, sorry he failed back in August 2012
Me: What??? We've been working on this for years and you assured me he is ready.
Vet: Sorry, I'll see if there are any work-arounds

I nearly cried. Dash is part of my family. Quarantine can be done stateside in your own home, that's what we did. I'm not quite sure why it's called quarantine when in your own home? But pay for an animal to be Quarantined or any kennel for 120 days is over 2 grand!

A very long story short. The family that will rent this place is letting him stay here until 120 days after the result of the next FAVN test, so somewhere around end of November. I told them I'd take some money off the rent if they agreed. I'm pretty sure they would do it for free. They're a really nice Navy family.

So it worked out. I'll still get to see Dash on occasion and know he will be taken care of by good people.

Today, my 97 Jeep, which has gotten me back and forth to work, family trips; gave it to my oldest daughter for a few years during college and plan on my youngest daughter using it for college starting next month - Quit running! I've had problems with it before but the occasional repairs far outweigh the cost of a car payment. I'm pretty sure I can fix it. There's a problem with the ignition system. Shouldn't be to hard nor expensive to keep the old Jeep running a few more years.

That's life right? Just keep plugging away and everything will be good.

Cheers friends! :mug:

Dan

Cute Dog! That's rough that you'll have to wait for him to join you. You really seem to be running into Murphy's Law lately! Best of luck and keep up your resilience!

Cute Dog! That's rough that you'll have to wait for him to join you. You really seem to be running into Murphy's Law lately! Best of luck and keep up your resilience!

Thanks McB! I'm sure everything in the end will be fine. Life is trying at times but to be honest I just need to remind myself that if these little problems are my only worries well, then life is pretty grand. :)

Yeah Dan! Dasher D is indeed a cool looking pup!

I hope everyone is doing well!

I've been working like a dog, and now I have jury duty this Monday. I am so sick and tired of getting summoned!!

Tomorrow morning I'm taking my momma to breakfast and then shopping for a new front door for her birthday. After that I'm going to keg a couple batches of beer.

Hope you all have a nice night and a great weekend!

Sharknado.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had heard the term Sharknado before, but didn't know what it really was all about until mcbaumannerb provided the video trailer. What...the...f&%k...? I thought it had to be something more complicated than that, but no...they made a movie by dumping CGI sharks into a CGI tornado.

Are you ****ting me? Is this what passes for movie entertainment now? I need more beer.

I'm brewing tomorrow. An India Brown Ale. For those who know how long it is, you know it's a big deal.

That is all.

Hey, Snaps! I have a temp controller, a ten pound bag of two row, a package of Notty, and a few ounces of specialty grain that I've yet to find anybody interested around here to buy. The stuff has to go one way or another cause I'm almost out of here.

Will trade for one of your brews.

:mug:
Dan

A melody for you.

My daughter has been playing a guitar for around 8 weeks now. I think she plays well and sings nicely. (Of course I do, she is my daughter) She has no interest in becoming a music artist. Music is her Pressure Relief Valve.

My daughter, I love her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,
I have been playing guitar for around 8 years now and that is awesome finger picking for someone who in only 8 weeks in, not to mention the fact that she can already sing and play. Whether it becomes a life long passion or is just a emotional outlet you should in courage her, she has some real musical talent.

Back