I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GD, Sharps, are you guys into making cheese? Seems to be the natural path of homebrewers. I've just recently dwelved into this.

I've thought about making cheese... Need to land a new job before I get more gear for something like that. I am looking to make a nice wine soon though. I have all the hardware needed for that, just need to get the ingredients for it. :D Planning to make a kick ass cab sov first.. Something that will be 2-5 years from pitch to glass. :rockin: Yeah, I like the long term products/projects. :D

BTW, they're talking some more snow tonight, and then more tomorrow. Got the SB ready to rock and roll if there's enough for it. :D

I've never done cheese.
My younger brother, who also brews, has done a bit of it.
Before his new job, he and his wife ( with six kids!) had a goat and made cheese.

I've thought about wine also like Golddiggie.
For years I've eaten salal berries when I was working. They are juicy and sweet but the skin is fairly tough and they have a lot of seeds. In trying to figure out what to do with them the only thing I could figure out was wine!
The problem is I looked up recipes and you need a LOT of berries.

OK, we've one person who is still single, one who has to deal with the wife being thousands of miles away for an extended period of time, and one divorced dude.

I normally don't say much of anything about my ex. Internet posts are forever, someday my daughter could read postings and no matter what think of my ex, I want my daughter to figure things out on her own and make her own judgement.

That being said, I've got to post music again tonight. I remember hearing this song while going through the divorce and loving it. Perfect song. I bought the CD. This was the only song worth listening to on it but it was worth the cost. I would play it from time to time, not too often when the daughter was with me. Quit listening to it with the daughter around when my then five year old was asking me why the guy wanted to hit her in the head with a flower pot! Quit playing it around her then.
It's still my ring tone for the ex though. Funny funny song. First time I've seen the video though.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've been told, the wine grapes are [generally] thin skinned, which is why they don't travel too well. I think you'd need a metric fruck-ton of berries to get enough to make a batch of wine from them. If you have that many available, then get a press and go for it. :D

I'm looking to get going on my first batch of wine in the next month, or so. Since I have two more full batch size fermenting vessels (7.75 gallon capacity), I could easily do a 6 gallon batch of wine. :D Especially once my big barleywine gets moved over to aging vessel.

From what I've been told, the wine grapes are [generally] thin skinned, which is why they don't travel too well. I think you'd need a metric fruck-ton of berries to get enough to make a batch of wine from them. If you have that many available, then get a press and go for it. :D

I'm looking to get going on my first batch of wine in the next month, or so. Since I have two more full batch size fermenting vessels (7.75 gallon capacity), I could easily do a 6 gallon batch of wine. :D Especially once my big barleywine gets moved over to aging vessel.

I recommend going with the very highest-end kits, if kits are what you're going to do. An extra $50 on 6-gallons of wine is not going to bug you in 2+ years.

I recommend going with the very highest-end kits, if kits are what you're going to do. And extra $50 on 6-gallons of wine is not going to bug you in 2+ years.

I was already looking at getting a kit with skins in it. Probably in the $100-$150 range. Plus yeast and a few other things. I have nutrient already, plus oak (cubes and large chunks). I'd rather get the better kit so that I get something great in bottles/glass when it's time. I'll probably even make up some labels for the bottles. :D Not sure about the shape, size, or color of the bottles yet. No need to worry since it will be many months (or years) before they get filled. I do have a new champagne corker that I'll be able to use though. :rockin: :D

I've thought about wine making, but it's hard to justify living where I do. The winery I am a club member of does a cellar clearance sale one a year, usually in March. I can get cases of awesome wine of just about any varietal for anywhere from $40-100 for the top end stuff. Wine that costs around $45 a bottle at the grocery store. There is usually decent whites that the wife will drink for $15-20 a CASE. I'm not even sure I could but the bottles for that price. And I haven't been a really big wine drinker lately as it is. I would like to learn to make great mead. So far my JOAM tastes kind of gross. Not sure what went wrong there.

I'm not a wine drinker. I think I remember drinking a wine I liked over 20 years ago. I can't even remember what it was.
Not that I've drank a lot of wine. I'm not one to put in an effort to like something. I like it, or I don't.
I want to make salal wine because I've wanted to do something with the berries for years. They're very good, lots of sugar in them and they are so plentiful around here.
Plus I figure that salal berry wine is going to be different than traditional wines. Worth a try.

I've thought about wine making, but it's hard to justify living where I do. The winery I am a club member of does a cellar clearance sale one a year, usually in March. I can get cases of awesome wine of just about any varietal for anywhere from $40-100 for the top end stuff. Wine that costs around $45 a bottle at the grocery store. There is usually decent whites that the wife will drink for $15-20 a CASE. I'm not even sure I could but the bottles for that price. And I haven't been a really big wine drinker lately as it is. I would like to learn to make great mead. So far my JOAM tastes kind of gross. Not sure what went wrong there.

Mead can be tricky, depending on what you mixed up, what your goal was, and how you treated it early on. I've had great results to date. One batch took almost two years to become great though. I'm a patient man though, so if I know that something will take time, I'll let it go the distance. I recently kegged up a wee heavy that spent almost a full year in vessel (the majority being on oak in an aging vessel). I have yet to even pour any to glass (been in keg carbonating).

I might have to start a 'dirt nap' batch of something big. Something that will need to age for many years/decades before becoming really great. That way there will be something to drink when I'm being planted. :D

Skipped to the end after that praying for you post so don't know the other's advice, although as I was scrolling through saw emjay posted. He's sort of my hero. Don't tell him.

Divorce sucks. There is a time when we hate our ex, A time we forgive and then their is more hate. I've been there. You have the right mindset though. Your daughter's wellbeing. Hang in there brother. My kids are probably better than me with the divorce. But you have to at least not talk bad about their mom. Not saying you do. In the end the kids will figure things out. Just don't ever let them fill not loved by you and hopefully the ex won't either. In the end, all will be good for your kids.

Just my two pennies.

Golddiggie said:
Mead can be tricky, depending on what you mixed up, what your goal was, and how you treated it early on. I've had great results to date. One batch took almost two years to become great though. I'm a patient man though, so if I know that something will take time, I'll let it go the distance. I recently kegged up a wee heavy that spent almost a full year in vessel (the majority being on oak in an aging vessel). I have yet to even pour any to glass (been in keg carbonating).

I might have to start a 'dirt nap' batch of something big. Something that will need to age for many years/decades before becoming really great. That way there will be something to drink when I'm being planted. :D

Oh, I'm in no rush either. I gladly took on the 12.12.12, knowing that I would definitely still have it in a year. I've got 15 gallons of sours going. I need to force myself to be disciplined enough to move my IPAs along. I would love to make some things that took years. I would want to make a lot though. I always go big.

I'm not a wine drinker. I think I remember drinking a wine I liked over 20 years ago. I can't even remember what it was.
Not that I've drank a lot of wine. I'm not one to put in an effort to like something. I like it, or I don't.
I want to make salal wine because I've wanted to do something with the berries for years. They're very good, lots of sugar in them and they are so plentiful around here.
Plus I figure that salal berry wine is going to be different than traditional wines. Worth a try.

There's varietals I like and those I don't. Among the more popular reds, zinfandel and pinot noir are some of my absolute favorites. On the other hand, I will usually turn down a cabernet sauvignon or merlot. I think educating yourself and learning what you like and what you don't makes all the difference.

45_70sharps said:
I think the beers have caught up with Dan.

I'd say so, especially with the emjay comment. I mean, I'm sort of fond of the neurotic little bastard myself but I don't think he would ever consider himself a hero, even on his most grandiose of bipolar mood swings. What gives Dan? ;)

Skipped to the end after that praying for you post so don't know the other's advice, although as I was scrolling through saw emjay posted. He's sort of my hero. Don't tell him.

Divorce sucks. There is a time when we hate our ex, A time we forgive and then their is more hate. I've been there. You have the right mindset though. Your daughter's wellbeing. Hang in there brother. My kids are probably better than me with the divorce. But you have to at least not talk bad about their mom. Not saying you do. In the end the kids will figure things out. Just don't ever let them fill not loved by you and hopefully the ex won't either. In the end, all will be good for your kids.

Just my two pennies.

I wrote you off too soon!
Yep, I don't hardly mention my ex around my daughter.
She'll figure it out on her own in time.

As for forgiving the ex, I don't see that happening.
Like I said, the internet is forever so I won't go into reasons why but I'm just happy she's not around anymore!

Oh, I'm in no rush either. I gladly took on the 12.12.12, knowing that I would definitely still have it in a year. I've got 15 gallons of sours going. I need to force myself to be disciplined enough to move my IPAs along. I would love to make some things that took years. I would want to make a lot though. I always go big.

I'm gearing up to make my 'epic mead' batch. Target is 25% ABV. Got the yeast, got the honey, got free vessels... Just need to get it started. Planning 2-3 years between mixing and bottling. Planning on up to a few more years in bottles before it's really good/great in glass too.

Planning to make another batch of my big barleywine soon too. Just need to decide how I'm going to formulate it. Might go really big and see how far I can push 1728 before it screams 'uncle'. :D

I love a Zinfandel young and a Pinot Noir old. Cabs are so hit and miss - I prefer them young and punchy actually. I am probably in the minority who prefers wines young, even ones which are considered aging wines. I don't mind if they're a little hot and the flavors aren't blended. I love a good ancient port though. The oldest one I've had was 60 years old, and it was really something else entirely.

Hmmm. Don't know. I read one of 45's posts about his daughter. Breaks my heart to hear of the struggles cause I've been there. Then I saw emjay post. Didn't really read it. Just saw he posted. Pretty sure you have been seen on the Riddle Thread BB. Emjay has been there plenty of times, that's where I know him from. He's sort of like Spock but has a human side.. animals are his weak point.

Emjay, I'm sure youre reading so that means I'm not talking behind your back. Whether you know or accept it or not. You're a good fellow.

That explain it for you BottleBomber?

I can't help but think of him as a fat kid sitting in his moms basement on the computer eating a some pie, or whatever fat kids on the computer in the basement eat in Canada.
The cartman picture just becomes what I associate him with.

Sorry dude. That picture is just how I pick you out on here.

Dan said:
Hmmm. Don't know. I read one of 45's posts about his daughter. Breaks my heart to hear of the struggles cause I've been there. Then I saw emjay post. Didn't really read it. Just saw he posted. Pretty sure you have been seen on the Riddle Thread BB. Emjay has been there plenty of times, that's where I know him from. He's sort of like Spock but has a human side.. animals are his weak point.

Emjay, I'm sure youre reading so that means I'm not talking behind your back. Whether you know or accept it or not. You're a good fellow.

That explain it for you BottleBomber?

None needed really, I was just pulling your chain. There are very few people I dislike on the forum, and among those I really don't even dislike them they just bug me.

As far as kids, yeah I've got three. Took them from my ex wife after she decided to start using meth again. Those kids had 3 or 4 solid years of having both their biological parents together happily married as far as they knew. For the younger two, it was all they knew. For the eldest boy, he may have had memories of the two years I raised him as a single father when she did this the first time when he was barely a year old. Meth is a horrible drug, the worst. She has a daughter now. Her sister called me up last night begging me to come get the poor little girl, said she thought that she would just give her right over. I guess it's gotten pretty bad. She had it all at one time.. Looks, brains, and a good family. It's amazing the price that some are willing to pay. This conversation brought to you by beer.

I can't help but think of him as a fat kid sitting in his moms basement on the computer eating a some pie, or whatever fat kids on the computer in the basement eat in Canada.

That's okay. That association is, oddly enough, intentional, so I can't really start bitching about it now. :D

45_70sharps said:

That's what the avatars do. I'm pretty fair skinned, blonde, very Austrian, a little over 6'6" and about 240 lbs. You seem to be a talking bullet, which is very strange to me. Other members are taking hop cones.

Are we talking about wine or exes? I make wine... err... I guess you'd actually call it pruno. Grape juice(or any juice) with extra sugar added and yeast, put an airlock on it, a couple weeks later, drink up!!

Exes, love that pray for you song, I still pray for my ex after many, many years... Thought of him immediately the first time I heard that song... forgive? Hell no!!!!

None needed really, I was just pulling your chain. There are very few people I dislike on the forum, and among those I really don't even dislike them they just bug me.

As far as kids, yeah I've got three. Too them from my ex wife after she decided to start using meth again. Those kids had 3 or 4 solid years of having both their biological parents together happily married as far as they knew. For the younger two, it was all they knew. For the eldest boy, he may have had memories of the two years I raised him as a single father when she did this the first time when he was barely a year old. Meth is a horrible drug, the worst. She has a daughter now. Her sister called me up last night begging me to come get the poor little girl, said she thought that she would just give her right over. I guess it's gotten pretty bad. She had it all at one time.. Looks, brains, and a good family. It's amazing the price that some are willing to pay. This conversation brought to you by beer.

Man, that really sucks. Sucks for you, but it really sucks for the kids.

My daughter already doesn't have a lot of memories of the ex and I together.
That's for the best really. What life turned out to be is what she remembers as normal.

It's good to forgive, Bobbi... It's not something you do for them, it's something you do for yourself. Grudges and anger are a caustic poison that eat away at the bones, the soul. It's letting that person harm you years after they've been gone. And we are all less than perfect. Some of us are down right pieces of **** in fact.

I use hop cones. Not much on taking them.

BB. See you're opening up. I think I remember you mentioning something about this on another thread. Pretty honorable what you have done. What get's you through the day.. (BTW you can't use beer as an answer)

45_70sharps said:
Man, that really sucks. Sucks for you, but it really sucks for the kids.

My daughter already doesn't have a lot of memories of the ex and I together.
That's for the best really. What life turned out to be is what she remembers as normal.

It's ok, I've remarried and found a really amazing woman. She is too good for me, actually. And my boys are doing great. There's nothing else I could possibly ask from this life, things being what they are.

You know how silly Canadians look when they talk on South Park? That and their contribution to entertainment ( per South Park ) is a couple guys that fart a lot!

Are we talking about wine or exes? I make wine... err... I guess you'd actually call it pruno. Grape juice(or any juice) with extra sugar added and yeast, put an airlock on it, a couple weeks later, drink up!!

Exes, love that pray for you song, I still pray for my ex after many, many years... Thought of him immediately the first time I heard that song... forgive? Hell no!!!!

You made it!
So, you take your ex, but them in a bucket with some sugar and yeast and an airlock? Oh wait, that's the wine!

It's good to forgive, Bobbi... It's not something you do for them, it's something you do for yourself. Grudges and anger are a caustic poison that eat away at the bones, the soul. It's letting that person harm you years after they've been gone. And we are all less than perfect. Some of us are down right pieces of **** in fact.

Well, to avoid the caustic poisons, I just block him out, until someone plays a song like that!!! He did end up cutting off both his thumbs after I made a little doll... One they put back on, the other didn't take though and now he's got a toe there.... Hahahahahahahahaha :D

It's ok, I've remarried and found a really amazing woman. She is too good for me, actually. And my boys are doing great. There's nothing else I could possibly ask from this life, things being what they are.

Glad to hear it.
Life's short after all.

How on earth did you find time to find the right woman as a single dad?

Dan said:
I use hop cones. Not much on taking them.

BB. See you're opening up. I think I remember you mentioning something about this on another thread. Pretty honorable what you have done. What get's you through the day.. (BTW you can't use beer as an answer)

What is a beverage made from hops and malted barley?

45_70sharps said:
Glad to hear it.
Life's short after all.

How on earth did you find time to find the right woman as a single dad?

She found me. I fought her off for a few months but her persistence won out in the end. I've never been good at obtaining women for more than a drunken fling. The ones who have been around for longer always found me. I don't know how long you've been single, but I don't imagine you will be for long. There's not much that's more attractive to a woman than a man who's willing to put the needs of a child ahead of his own. A real woman anyway. Thins out the herd quite a bit, but they're out there.

This is her. So far I've found that she can cook, sew, paint, do electrical work, run a tile saw and retile the bathroom, install hard wood floor, cook, clean, and tonight she was sanding down and staining a piece of furniture. If I carry on it's because I'm proud as hell.

image-887496076.jpg

She found me. I fought her off for a few months but her persistence won out in the end. I've never been good at obtaining women for more than a drunken fling. The ones who have been around for longer always found me. I don't know how long you've been single, but I don't imagine you will be for long. There's not much that's more attractive to a woman than a man who's willing to put the needs of a child ahead of his own. A real woman anyway. Thins out the herd quite a bit, but they're out there.

Small town and I'm near 50.
Couple that with no time after work and being a single dad, and not wanting anyone around my daughter until something is serious.

Well, maybe one of the gals from my upcoming 30 year reunion is holding up well and recently divorced or widowed! If that fails I'll give it five years and try again!

This is her. So far I've found that she can cook, sew, paint, do electrical work, run a tile saw and retile the bathroom, install hard wood floor, cook, clean, and tonight she was sanding down and staining a piece of furniture. If I carry on it's because I'm proud as hell.

Dang! All that and damn fine looking also!
I would be happy and proud as hell also. Sounds like the basis for a great long term relationship. She is truly a contributor to many things around the home.
She got a sister??

My ex didn't do any of those things, unless you count heating things up in the microwave as cooking.
I even did my own sewing. Comes in handy now since I get to sew Barbie dresses for my daughter!
Making doll dresses isn't exactly something to brag about when I do get a chance to stop in the bar, but I do anything for my little girl.

45.. Youre a really good man. Someday some gal will find that out. Keep doing the important stuff right now, taking care of your daughter. Eventually the good carma will be felt and you'll meet an amazing woman. That's how it works.

45_70sharps said:
Dang! All that and damn fine looking also!
I would be happy and proud as hell also. Sounds like the basis for a great long term relationship. She is truly a contributor to many things around the home.
She got a sister??

My ex didn't do any of those things, unless you count heating things up in the microwave as cooking.
I even did my own sewing. Comes in handy now since I get to sew Barbie dresses for my daughter!
Making doll dresses isn't exactly something to brag about when I do get a chance to stop in the bar, but I do anything for my little girl.

I dunno man, I know I'd be bragging about Barbie dresses. My ex was useless as tits on a boar hog, though she was a fair mother for a little while. Cooking and cleaning have always been my department. If she washed a few loads of laundry and heaped them up on the couch I was more than happy. Man our house looked like crap then.. I worked a lot more back then, couldn't keep up with it all. She could burn water. I remember one time she made this big display out of trying to make some soup. She was cutting the potatoes up into all different sized pieces, some an inch. I tried to explain to her about how they wouldn't all cook the same, boy howdy what a fight that turned into. I wouldn't even know what to do in that relationship now. Me and the wife haven't gotten on anything more than a mild disagreement in two years.

Back