I let a hefeweizen sit to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
So I racked my Heff to secondary and left it for about 2 weeks I'm going to keg it its very amber looking lots of stuff on the bettom should I try to mix it up before I keg, or should I leave it and have a clearish heff?
Thanks

How is that to long? And unless I am totally off base there should be plenty O' stuff on the bottom :)

I racked and bottled at 10 days, and there is still a lot of sediment forming in my bottles. At 2 weeks I would think you're fine. Which yeast did you use?

I am a begginer but I assume if you used a hefe yeast that has a low to medium attentuation you will always have a good amount of yeast staying in suspension, esp since homebrew is unfiltered. Usually you roll the bottle to mix the yeast up before you pour, but I'm not sure how that works with a keg...

Without seeing a picture I would just rack it. Hefe yeast is very slow to flocculate and most likely there is still yeast in suspension that you're just not really seeing, there is also a lot of hop debris in the trub and I wouldn't want that in my beer.

Back