I know it needs more time, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Grubb

Reaction score
I brewed a version of the Black pearl porter one week ago.
Original gravity was 1.073. Using London Ale yeast with a starter fermentation took of within 12 hours. I was fermenting on the low side around 62, but there was vigorous activity for about 24 hours after the start of fermentation, then almost no signs of fermentation by day 3, I slowly ramped up the temperature by a couple degrees every day and have had it at 70 for the past 2 days.
I pulled a sample today (day 7)and the gravity is only at 1.040. I plan on giving it at least another week as it currently is, but do we think the gravity will drop as much as it should to get a decent beer? I have more yeast around and could pitch if it would be beneficial.
I tasted my sample, and it didn’t taste infected, just sweet as to be expected for no more fermentation has occurred thus far.
What would y’all do?

Dropped over 30 points in 7 days which isn't bad at all. I'd leave it at 70 for another week and test the gravity again.

30 points in 7 days is not a good sign, it's definitely outlier behavior ime. My 65 point DIPAs using 1318 are at ~14 point final gravity within 4-5 days, and the ~107 point imperial stout I brew using S04 reliably hits a ~25 point FG in a week.

Intervention is required, imo. I wouldn't pitch more yeast because frankly from all the experiences I've read here on HBT I doubt it would help. But I'd consider judicious use of enzymes like glucoamylase...

Cheers!

I brewed the BPP and had the same
issue. Very tasty but ended up way too sweet. Next time i’m cutting the lactose by half (already has cut it by half of the original recipe) and will rouse the yeast if it gets stuck before expected FG. overall a great porter though. you’ll enjoy.

I would sanitize a stainless steel spoon and stir slowly to rouse yeast from the bottom. If you are using a carboy then I would sanitize some tubing and rotate it slowly in the fermenter. Basically just get the lazy yeast off the bottom of the fermenter and get them doing their jobs again. But try not to introduce more o2 while stirring, if possible.

Yes, this is all grain. About 13 pounds of fermentable grain, I believe.
Fermentation took off really quick and was heavy for a short time then just dropped off .
Can I add more yeast to finish off the rest?
I am using my conical, and have been agitating it slightly trying to wake up yeast, but I don’t see that doing enough to take it down where it needs to be

30 points in 7 days is not a good sign, it's definitely outlier behavior ime. My 65 point DIPAs using 1318 are at ~14 point final gravity within 4-5 days, and the ~107 point imperial stout I brew using S04 reliably hits a ~25 point FG in a week.

Intervention is required, imo. I wouldn't pitch more yeast because frankly from all the experiences I've read here on HBT I doubt it would help. But I'd consider judicious use of enzymes like glucoamylase...

Cheers!

Just ordered some glucoamylase. Do you think there are enough live yeast cells left for this to work at this point?

I had a batch of London III that stalled out at 1.027. I was fermenting it on the low side ±62. It was washed yeast and I didn't check the gravity until I had moved it off the yeast cake...won't make that mistake again. I should have roused the yeast and raised the temp, at least that's what folks at my LHBS told me.

It looks like this recipe has Lactose (from a comment above), how much?

Be prepared for the glucoamylase to dry your beer out quite a bit, I’d be wary of going this direction immediately.

There are usually two causes of “stuck” fermentations. First, poor yeast health (or ABV limit fornangiven strain. Ime, this can be overcome by pitching new yeast. Second, mash/recipe issues (eg too high mash temp, too many unfermentables). This will not be overcome by adding fresh yeast (maybe diastaticus + strains would work).

Regardless of what you do, taste first and decide if you’re unhappy. Gravity is just a number!!

It looks like this recipe has Lactose (from a comment above), how much?

Be prepared for the glucoamylase to dry your beer out quite a bit, I’d be wary of going this direction immediately.

There are usually two causes of “stuck” fermentations. First, poor yeast health (or ABV limit fornangiven strain. Ime, this can be overcome by pitching new yeast. Second, mash/recipe issues (eg too high mash temp, too many unfermentables). This will not be overcome by adding fresh yeast (maybe diastaticus + strains would work).

Regardless of what you do, taste first and decide if you’re unhappy. Gravity is just a number!!

This had 4 oz of lactose and 1 cup maltodextrin.
I had 13.25 pounds of fermentable grains plus a pound of flaked oats. Mashed at 158.
Used a package of white labs London ale yeast with a 1000 ml starter. Visible fermentation began in about 12-18 hours and was very vigorous for about 1 day (day 1.5-2.5) then virtually seemed to stall
I tried my sample yesterday and it was just way too sweet as it started at 1.073 and was only down to about 1.041 or so on day 7.
Drying it out would be preferable to keeping it as is.
I assume if I use the glucoamalyse, I assume the sooner I add it the better, correct?

If I want to add more yeast, should I put in the glucoamalyse in, wait a few days and see if that works, and if not, add more yeast,
Or should I add more yeast and glucoamalyse both now or could I do that after another week to see if the original yeast will finish it off?

Definitely try adding a new batch of yeast before going the enzyme route. You can’t “get” the enzyme out once it’s added, it will just do it’s thing, which if it’s glucoamylase, will destroy all your long chain dextrins.

Definitely try adding a new batch of yeast before going the enzyme route. You can’t “get” the enzyme out once it’s added, it will just do it’s thing, which if it’s glucoamylase, will destroy all your long chain dextrins.

Do you think it’s worth waiting another few days to see if the gravity drops more before adding in more yeast, or should I just add in more ASAP?

By “destroying long chain dextrins” do you mean making it too dry or bitter or what exactly would I see change from its addition?

I brewed a version of the Black pearl porter one week ago.
Original gravity was 1.073. Using London Ale yeast with a starter fermentation took of within 12 hours. I was fermenting on the low side around 62, but there was vigorous activity for about 24 hours after the start of fermentation, then almost no signs of fermentation by day 3, I slowly ramped up the temperature by a couple degrees every day and have had it at 70 for the past 2 days.
I pulled a sample today (day 7)and the gravity is only at 1.040. I plan on giving it at least another week as it currently is, but do we think the gravity will drop as much as it should to get a decent beer? I have more yeast around and could pitch if it would be beneficial.
I tasted my sample, and it didn’t taste infected, just sweet as to be expected for no more fermentation has occurred thus far.
What would y’all do?
Sorry but it sounds like a dumper....dump it off on me, that is! Because I'm sure it's going to turn out mighty tasty with a bit more time.

Edit: Consider Cuvee or Champagne yeast to help finish it off.

Do you think it’s worth waiting another few days to see if the gravity drops more before adding in more yeast, or should I just add in more ASAP?

By “destroying long chain dextrins” do you mean making it too dry or bitter or what exactly would I see change from its addition?

Since it’s only been 7 days and you only have 1 gravity point, I’d def try the raise temp and swirl method. Take another reading after 3 days or so and you’ll know if anything is going on.

For your second question, the answer is yes. For the most part, residual gravity points are made up of longer (ie unfermentable to the yeast you used) chain sugars (also known as dextrins). The perceived bitterness and dryness (they often go hand in hand) will increase as your final gravity goes down. The converse is generally true for increasing gravity.

Checked again today, and it was still around 1.040. Going to add more yeast and hope that will finish it off

Different. Had some extra Nottingham dry yeast on hand. Would rather have maybe conflicting flavors from different yeasts than a 4.5% porter that tastes too sweet

So after 24 hours with the new yeast in, no other signs of life, so I went all in and added the glucoamalyse. Within 1 hour I had fermentation. Currently bubbling like it is day 2 again. Hopefully this will finish it off to a decent gravity and not be too sweet from under-fermentation.

After 3 more days of vigorous fermentation, I pulled a sample, and wow; the GA took it down to 1.002. I think in a few more days it will go down to 1.000. Taste isn’t bad, not the sweet flavor that it was earlier, but not bad. After a few more days to clean up, I am going to age it in a bourbon barrel. I think it will age into a decent beer.
The GA is pretty amazing stuff. Never would have thought it would have taken it to that level.

If you decide it could use a little body/a notion of sweetness you can always add some boiled maltodextrin or milk sugar/lactose...

Cheers!

Back