I just got a brandy barrel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortrc

Reaction score
Just obtained a 5 gallon barrel from a local cidery that was used for a brandy. Now I have no idea what style of beer I should put in it and if that's even possible. I'm still doing partial extract recipes so I'm wondering if something like this is outside of my scope. Any advice?

big beer. something that needs aging

barleywine or an imperial porter/stout

awesome score, btw

I def agree! Barleywine,robust porter,or a nice roasty stout. Any of these would stand up to the brandy remains in the barrel. This oughtta be good!...

I just want to add that I am a new brewer (I've brewed about 7 batches so far). Do you think I'm being too ambitious using a barrel? I'm real worried about sanitation.

What size is the barrel. Some of them can be pretty big.

I've never worked with a barrel, but I think you probably need to fill it with some metabisulphate solution, to sanitize it and ensure it is sealed properly. If you let it dry out you may not be able to seal it again.

Some have had to soak the barrel in water to re-swell the staves for a good seal. Brandy having a goodly amount of alcohol in it,I'm not sure if sanitising would be necessary. but I could be wrong. Is this a 5 gallon or smaller barrel? I know some of those are smaller than for wine or beer?...

unionrdr said:
Some have had to soak the barrel in water to re-swell the staves for a good seal. Brandy having a goodly amount of alcohol in it,I'm not sure if sanitising would be necessary. but I could be wrong. Is this a 5 gallon or smaller barrel? I know some of those are smaller than for wine or beer?...

It's 5 gallons.

This might help, it's Midwest's instructions on caring for a barrel. The "French method" for rehydrating the barrel seems to work well. I acquired a barrel for my brew club that we're using on a tart of darkness project. I spent a portion of Saturday rehydrating it then test filling it. Assuming it wasn't infected before you got it, was recently emptied, and you've treated it reasonably well (e.g. haven't left it out in the rain), filling it with hot water should provide sufficient sanitation. For ours I filled it with 190-200F water to rehydrate and left it in there for a couple hours. When I removed the bung to drain it, it was still steaming, so I'm confident calling it sanitized.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/422/barrel_care_sheet.pdf

"I’ve received a couple emails recently requesting a detailed explanation of the process that we go through when preparing a new barrel. So here is is:

1. Remove the wooden bung
2. Rack beer into the barrel
3. Affix a new bung that allows carbon dioxide to escape

We do not rinse, burn a sulfur wick, or otherwise clean or sanitize the barrel before filling. The most important thing to do is have the beer ready to go into the barrel as quickly as possible after the barrel is emptied. If you obtain a barrel which previously held wine or beer and are not able to fill it within a couple days, then it would be a good idea to rinse the barrel. If you need to hold the barrel for longer than a couple weeks, then you should consider either burning a sulfur wick or filling with a holding solution composed of water, citric acid, and metabisulfite. Your goal is to prevent the growth of microbes like Acetobacter and mold which can cause off-flavors. Spirit barrels are safer for longer (which is good since burning a sulfur wick in one can have explosive consequences), but they too will eventually dry out which can cause them to leak when finally filled."

The Best advice on obtaining a barrel. Cited from the mad fermentationist

So I ended up doing my first all-grain and barleywine. All went well and it is currently in a glass carboy and I'll transfer into the barrel when fermentation slows a little. OG came in at 1.13 so I'm thinking it's going to take a while before it's drinkable.

I would use a wood barrel only for something stronger like wine or a high strength beer of some kind

So I ended up doing my first all-grain and barleywine. All went well and it is currently in a glass carboy and I'll transfer into the barrel when fermentation slows a little. OG came in at 1.13 so I'm thinking it's going to take a while before it's drinkable.

I would use a wood barrel only for something stronger like wine or a high strength beer of some kind

something like a barleywine? ;) :D

Update: This thing is not slowing down and still bubbling every 1/2 seconds. I think I'm going to be sitting on this a while! I've yet to add the sugar addition too.

Latest posts

Back