I just bought one of these fermenters.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
mb_65.jpg

Anything I should watch out for?

I brew upstairs, ferment down stairs in the basement. What's better to carry down stairs? Cooled wort in the brew kettle, or the fully assembled and filled fermenter?

Am I right that you dump the trub once after about 5-7 days, and then not again before you rack to the keg? Otherwise, it seems like you're leaving a lot of beer in the bottom of the conical.

Looking forward to using this thing on my next batch.....

Anything I should watch out for?
Jealous homebrewing thieves?

I brew upstairs, ferment down stairs in the basement. What's better to carry down stairs? Cooled wort in the brew kettle, or the fully assembled and filled fermenter?
I've no experience with a cononical, but the first thing that strikes me about it is that there are no handles on it at all. I would probably carry the kettle (assuming it DOES have handles) down the stairs instead of the fermenter.

You should watch out for that thing toppling over. It's only got two legs. How it's even standing up in that picture is beyond me.

All kidding aside, congrats. That looks a like a sweet conical. I hope to one day have one myself.

I have one and love it! My only feedback is the stand could be more sturdy. I will be buying another one as soon as I have some extra money.

I would carry the kettle

I vote on a hose from the kettle upstairs to the fermenter downstairs. Spend a couple more dollars, save your back.

I've been thinking of doing this too. Imagine the flow rate! I think I could get about 10' total difference between kettle and fermenter this way. Drain the whole thing in a matter of minutes? :rockin:

I have one and love it! My only feedback is the stand could be more sturdy. I will be buying another one as soon as I have some extra money.

I would carry the kettle

would you buy again? Or would you spend 150$ more and get the stainless steel one?

Are these things really worth $165 over a $15 plastic Ale Pail of the same volume?

I'm going to attempt to find out...;)

And it was $150 over the cost of a 15 dollar bucket.

Would a stainless steel one be worth twice as much?

I dug up a pyrex 5gal carboy, I'm gonna try and see if I can get a couple hundred bucks for it... I may consider buying a conical like the one in this post with the profits.

Or, I might just keep it... but pyrex is overkill for my needs.

Back