I have seen the light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranger13

Reaction score
OK a few weeks ago I was talking to my wife about the beer we have been makeing. I was telling her that there was a sweet taste in all the beers that we have done(9-10). I could not figure out what it was. So I started AG brewing and just opened my first AG, and you know what I found that sweet taste. I was something in the DME/LME. It is not in this IPA and I took my extract recipe and converted it to AG. I was just so happy I had to write about it.

Thanks for listening.

Ya,

Many AGers say there is something tangy about extract beer. Then many extract brewers correctly point out that many award winning beers are made from extract.

I do agree with you - and that was one of my main reasons for going AG. I tried many kits, and bulk LME and DME but could never find the true taste I was looking for. I suppose it was the ingredients I used - and if I spend as much time/money/energy finding better extract ingredients - I could have done much, much better.

Cheers.

You speak the truth, and I am not saying that extract beer is bad because I did 9-10 beers from extract and they where all good but not as good as I would have liked them. I think it is a taste thing maybe?

I notice no distinct flavor in my beer based on how I get the sugar. I notice a TON of difference based on adjuncts and specialty grains. Perhaps someday my palate will discern the more subtle differences. Until then, here's to good beer, be it extract or all grain!

Latest posts

Back