I have no idea what I'm doing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I gathered 4.5 oz of spruce tips this past spring and have been looking to use them since. I had no idea if they would work in this recipe, but I'm pleasantly surprised.
4lbs Pilsner malt
4lbs Pale malt
2lbs Wheat malt
1lb Flaked oats

1oz Warrior, FWH
0.5oz Chinook, 15 min
1oz Bitter orange peel, 15 min
4.5oz Spruce tips, fresh, frozen, thawed, 15 min
0.5oz Chinook, 5 min
0.5oz Coriander, crushed, 5 min
2oz Centennial, Steep/Whirlpool, 170F, 20 min
2oz Chinook, Dry hop, 5 days

Safale T-58, 65F, 7 days. 70F, 7 days

Est. OG: 1.059
Measured OG: 1.055
Measured FG: 1.014

Its still very young and hazy. 2 weeks in the keg fridge on gas. But the flavor is very nice. Assertive bitterness with some lemon citrus, and a finish of spruce. I didn't know if the spruce would work with a Belgian yeast, but it's not bad.

Some of my initial samples were not pleasant. I was getting lots of pink bubble gum from the yeast. That clashed badly with the spruce. Both flavors mellowed with a little time. I think it will continue to get better as well.

That actually looks very good.
"Winter Ale" from Alaskan Brewing is made with spruce tips.
You might look up a clone of this for comparison.
I've been wanting to try this.

I pulled this beer out of the keezer about a month ago for some aging. Although the flavors were not terrible, it was still a little sharp, I'll say. Don't really know how to explain.
Anyway, after a few weeks, still very cloudy, but the flavors have all melded together quite nicely. I'm getting hints of orange and the spruce is just noticeable enough to detect. The bubble gum is mostly gone. I think I'm getting notes of it here and there but nothing like a few weeks ago.
I think I'll brew this again without the spruce to see how it compares.

Back