I have a few batches under my belt, I need some constructive criticizm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoFortySX

Reaction score
As per my introduction thread, FOUND HERE, I have a few batches under my belt. I know that I made a bunch of mistakes, used sub par or even wrong ingredients and generally made bad beer. However, I have learned so much in that short period of time that I am still nothing short of enthusiastic.

What I would like is to post short descriptions of each of my 4 batches and have some more experienced brewers critique them. Its hard to know what you are doing wrong when you dont have someone to teach you. I took pretty good notes for each of the batches to help me learn.

Batch 1. The first batch was a MB Pale Ale kit. I followed the instructions to the letter. I used tap water because I was curious how much of that flavor would come through. I brewed this on 12/26 and bottled it on 1/3 as the hydrometer measured 1.009, which after temperature adjustment was 1.010. The issue I have with this beer is that it fermented in an extremely hot environment. I would say that the room temperature was easily 80+ degrees. I know this is definitely bad and produced bad flavors.

I did some taste testing to see how this tasted at bottling. Well it has a pretty funky aroma but still tasted like flat beer. The mouth fell was buttery and almost coating. The tap water flavors really did come through but not in a bad way. The weird thing was that SWMBO liked it piss warm and unconditioned. haha. The bottles have been conditioning in my closet since 1/3/11 at a constant temp between 66-68 degrees. I am thinking about throwing one in the fridge to cool down and taste.

Batch 2. This was a MB Hard Cider that I got fancy with before I read enough about HONEY:drunk: I followed the directions again to the letter EXCEPT I used 2lb of Honey instead of the recommended 1 1/2 C. granulated sugar. This one I used distilled spring water, again, to see the difference in the water I use to brew.

The OG was 1.049 and I started this on 1/3/11. The fermentation temperatures were once again too hot. I would say the ambient room temperature was 80 for the first couple of days before I realized that it was just too hot. I moved it for the last couple of days where it was about 69 degrees. When I measured the gravity on 1/8/11, it was at 1.022 then again measured on 1/12/11 which was 1.010. I bottled that day in Grolsch swing tops. I carb'd 12 bottles of it with coopers carb tabs, 4 without and 1 in the fridge to cool and taste.

It definitely tastes cleaner than my first batch, because I used spring water I think. The cider/mead has a nice color, very dry taste but again a bad aroma. I think this batch has a good taste and will be good if I back sweeten it.

First you need to find a cooler place to ferment your beer. And you might want to try and let it ferment for 2 weeks or 3 weeks next time and see if you like it better that way.

First recommendation : 60-70 degree fermenting space and more time

Batch 3. This batch is were I finally got myself some better equipment to make Edwort's Apfelwein. I put this batch together on 1/8/11 in a 3 gallon carboy. I used Red Star Montrachet yeast, 32oz of Karo Light corn syrup and 2.5 gallons of Giant Eagle 100% Apple Juice which only had ascorbic acid in it as a preservative. The OG was 1.086.

This is still fermenting away in my office. The temperature has been a steady 69 degrees. The airlock is bubbling away and I feel good about this batch EXCEPT for using Karo syrup. I read that its undesirable to use, but some say that it suffices. I feel like the vanilla flavor might be a nice addition.

I haven't taken any more gravity readings and it is just there. :rockin:

I agree with mixedbrewer. Temps are CRITICAL to good beer.

Other than that, we know nothing about your water, or your recipe other than one or two choice ingredients and the OG and FG.

If you are brewing with extract, you may want to use Distilled water for beers. The extract already has minerals the yeast need. Adding more from your water supply might be too much.

Batch 4 This is my second to last MB batch. It is the High Country Canadian Draft kit. I used tap water for this, as I did the first kit. I figured it would help me learn more about my own home tap water. The only addition was 1/2 cup granulated sugar. I added this to the booster included in the MB kit which was brought to a boil.

This started 1/12/11 and the wort had an OG reading of 1.040. This is sitting next to the Apfelwein in my office. The temperature is a steady 69 degrees. Fermentation started very quickly. The krausen was nice and bubbly and there was a good bit of trub at the bottle of the fermenter. As of this morning, it settled down a good bit but its still bubbling a little bit.

Not sure how much we can add. Sounds like you are working on the temperature issues which will help for sure. Ideally you want someplace in the low 60's. Be careful drinking that first beer... really hot fermentation leads to lots of "fusel alcohol" which is hangover city. If you wake up the next morning with a pounding headache, that's why :drunk:

Leave 'em alone for a while and the yeast should hopefully clean up that buttery stuff (it's called diacetyl). Giving yourself more time in the primary is even better because there's more yeast there to clean up byproducts. I know you said the FG was where you wanted it but 8 days is cutting it close as far as letting the yeast clean up the junk they produce.

Keep on brewin', sounds like you are heading in the right direction!

First you need to find a cooler place to ferment your beer. And you might want to try and let it ferment for 2 weeks or 3 weeks next time and see if you like it better that way.

First recommendation : 60-70 degree fermenting space and more time

I agree with mixedbrewer. Temps are CRITICAL to good beer.

Other than that, we know nothing about your water, or your recipe other than one or two choice ingredients and the OG and FG.

If you are brewing with extract, you may want to use Distilled water for beers. The extract already has minerals the yeast need. Adding more from your water supply might be too much.

Thank you for the quick responses. I think I have my temperature situation under control now. I learned that lesson from researching here.

I am not necessarily asking for an analysis of my water, just saying that I used tap water. I know that all water is different and will have different contents. I didn't know that extracts had minerals that may be adding to the minerals already in my water.

As for my ingredients. They are simply the MB kits. They are HME and their standard booster ingredients is:
Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

Not sure how much we can add. Sounds like you are working on the temperature issues which will help for sure. Ideally you want someplace in the low 60's. Be careful drinking that first beer... really hot fermentation leads to lots of "fusel alcohol" which is hangover city. If you wake up the next morning with a pounding headache, that's why :drunk:

Leave 'em alone for a while and the yeast should hopefully clean up that buttery stuff (it's called diacetyl). Giving yourself more time in the primary is even better because there's more yeast there to clean up byproducts. I know you said the FG was where you wanted it but 8 days is cutting it close as far as letting the yeast clean up the junk they produce.

Keep on brewin', sounds like you are heading in the right direction!

Thank You! Your post definitely gave me some more food for thought and gave me more to research!

definetly let them sit longer. FG on target or not. let it sit. the yeast will clean them up. if you are anxious to get to drinking, but some pryoff microbrews. it sounds like you are going to need the bottles.

Side note. i keep seeing the Edwort's Apfelwein popping up. can i get a recipe?

Over the next few weeks I am bound to learn a few more lessons and make a bunch more mistakes. I believe that my next step is to order a few more pieces of equipment, especially a nice brew pot, which I will be doing after I finish up this last MB kit. I am going to start trying some extract and extract/mini-mash kits from Austin homebrew supply.

I want to say thanks again, in advance, for all the help. This site is a wealth of information!

Jimmy

sounds to me like you are making all the "right" mistakes. when new to this, the temp thing can be a bit of a hassle to straighten out. depending on your climate, indoor space with regulated temps and so on. but understand that temps are very important.

you say your fermenters are in your office. that tells me that they are in a very well lit place, are you keeping them covered? (i use a black tshirt to cover all me fermenters that arent in my fermentation closet. Light is the enemy.

also, your materials should be measured in weight not volume (2 lbs of honey vs 1 1/2 cups sugar). its just more accurate, especially when putting together your carbing syrup.

water - im most lucky with our city water, very mild. i believe st charles rated in the top 50 cities for best water. i always pre boil just to relieve as much chlorine as possible. im under the assumption that most city provided waters in the US are fine with a pre boil. but we all know where that nasty "A" word can lead us at times...

brew on brother, brew on...

P.S. heads up on that first batch, sounds like its gonna lead to an exteme tylenol day after.

sounds to me like you are making all the "right" mistakes. when new to this, the temp thing can be a bit of a hassle to straighten out. depending on your climate, indoor space with regulated temps and so on. but understand that temps are very important.

you say your fermenters are in your office. that tells me that they are in a very well lit place, are you keeping them covered? (i use a black tshirt to cover all me fermenters that arent in my fermentation closet.

also, your materials should be measured in weight not volume (2 lbs of honey vs 1 1/2 cups sugar). its just more accurate, especially when putting together your carbing syrup.

brew on brother, brew on...

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, my office is dimly lit, no windows and the door is always kept closed, that's why i picked that room, but yes my fermenters are stilled covered.

When I started out I just put my fermenters wherever it was cool. Thought that was good enough. It wasn't after I got to really reading that it struck me that temps were probably more important than I realized.

That's when I started using a "swamp cooler" and man what a difference!

Get that beer down to around 62 or so and pitch the proper amount of yeast (like 1 packet of dry yeast up to OG of around 1.065, and 2 packets above that) or a 1L starter if using liquid yeast.

First basic step is to make sure your cleaning and sanitizing procedures are tight. Assuming your doing a great job with cleaning and sanitizing, you need to get on top of fermentation. Making top notch beer is mostly about fermentation. If you can control the ferment you can make fantastic beer. You need to pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort and properly manage the temps.

STEP ONE:

I highly recommend making starters for your yeast. Get a stirplate and a 2L flask. Visit the Mrmalty.com site and figure out how to make a starter. Use the online calculator to figure out what size starter to make.

STEP TWO:

Get a fermentation fridge. Look on craigslist and find a cheap used fridge. Hook the fridge with a Ranco dual output digital temp controller. Control the fridge for the cooling cycle and use a heating pad for the heating cycle. With this you will have complete control over fermentation temps.

learn your yeast, make these upgrades and do a good job with sanitation and you will make better beer then you can buy in the store. No joke! You will be wining contests and scoring hot chicks left and right. You will be a beer god!

First basic step is to make sure your cleaning and sanitizing procedures are tight. Assuming your doing a great job with cleaning and sanitizing, you need to get on top of fermentation. Making top notch beer is mostly about fermentation. If you can control the ferment you can make fantastic beer. You need to pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort and properly manage the temps.

STEP ONE:

I highly recommend making starters for your yeast. Get a stirplate and a 2L flask. Visit the Mrmalty.com site and figure out how to make a starter. Use the online calculator to figure out what size starter to make.

STEP TWO:

Get a fermentation fridge. Look on craigslist and find a cheap used fridge. Hook the fridge with a Ranco dual output digital temp controller. Control the fridge for the cooling cycle and use a heating pad for the heating cycle. With this you will have complete control over fermentation temps.

learn your yeast, make these upgrades and do a good job with sanitation and you will make better beer then you can buy in the store. No joke! You will be wining contests and scoring hot chicks left and right. You will be a beer god!

...Hoptivus Malticus - god of beer...

...Sacchromendius Yeastonda - god of fermentation...

...or you can keep it simple till you feel comfortable making leaps and bounds.
I learn by trial and error so continuing to slowly add more variables to my plate with each batch is how I will get better at this. Most, if not all, of the process I may have messed up are going to be repeated steps with each batch moving on so I will get better.

I'm comfortable moving to more difficult kits of beer and adding more standard equipment to my process. If I mess up some things and the beer turns out bad, its just a bad beer and I am sure that very few people produce stellar results time after time when brewing. I'm not hurting for money and I will still enjoying every bit of the process even if I have to drink bad beer with my friends :D

I'm not a huge fan of a perfectionist attitude, I guess its just in my personality to not be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them as I go.

You can make some really good beer with some beginner kits out there. The important thing is to follow the directions, mainly pitching and fermentation temperatures. You can get into starters and fermentation chambers somewhere down the line... but if you are making mistakes on the beginner level, I wouldn't invest time or money on more advanced techniques.

I learn by trial and error so continuing to slowly add more variables to my plate with each batch is how I will get better at this. Most, if not all, of the process I may have messed up are going to be repeated steps with each batch moving on so I will get better.

I'm comfortable moving to more difficult kits of beer and adding more standard equipment to my process. If I mess up some things and the beer turns out bad, its just a bad beer and I am sure that very few people produce stellar results time after time when brewing. I'm not hurting for money and I will still enjoying every bit of the process even if I have to drink bad beer with my friends :D

I'm not a huge fan of a perfectionist attitude, I guess its just in my personality to not be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them as I go.

too each there own...but if you can't make a great beginner beer why move on to a more complex one with a ton of variables??

I figured my attitude would get jumped on, being that I have frequented message boards for a long time, since it is against the status quo. Its not like I said I was moving to all grain Barleywine recipes or Lambic beer. I said that I planned on moving to recipes similar to the AHS Beer kits that are extract then on from there. Anyway, no hard feelings or offense taken, as I was expecting a few posts saying stay simple and get it perfect before you move on.

Just my opinion but get a good recipe kit and brew it without additions. It's a tested and proven recipe. Get a nice plastic tub, big enough for your fermenter to fit in with space around it and as soon as you have your beer in the fermenter, put it in the tub and fill the tub with cool water so you can keep the temperature down for the first 2 to 4 days, adding ice if necessary.

When you ferment too hot you get off flavors and fusel alcohols. When you add sugar, honey or syrup, you are adding alcohol to the final product and ending up with an unbalanced beer. If you make good beer, you can get your buzz by drinking an extra beer, but that extra will taste much better.

Wait for the beer to mature before you drink much of it. All the homebrews I have tried tasted much better a month after I bottled them and some needed 2 to 3 months to get really good.

For a second there it sounded like you want to make bad beer. Cause if you want to make bad beer, I can't help you. I'm only into making good beer. If you listen to my advice you can make good beer too. But If you want to make bad beer then your on your own. I try not to make bad beer. I don't like bad beer cause bad beer is bad.

To make good beer remember:
Sanitation #1
Proper amounts of healthy yeast #2.
Fermentation control #3

If you have the coin and are willing to invest in some. Get a stir plate and flask for making starters. Get a fridge for temp control. I'd consider these basic equipment for making good beer. You could boil your wort in a garbage can over a campfire and stir it with a tree branch. If you took that crazy wort and properly fermented it, you'd have good beer. On the flip side you could make fantastic wort with a million dollar beer sculpture and if you took that wort and f'd up the ferment you'd have bad beer. Friends don't let friends drink bad beer.

PS: I also knew my post would get some negative responses. Why? Because the normal method of advancement in this hobby is not the best method.

Just my opinion but get a good recipe kit and brew it without additions. It's a tested and proven recipe. Get a nice plastic tub, big enough for your fermenter to fit in with space around it and as soon as you have your beer in the fermenter, put it in the tub and fill the tub with cool water so you can keep the temperature down for the first 2 to 4 days, adding ice if necessary.

When you ferment too hot you get off flavors and fusel alcohols. When you add sugar, honey or syrup, you are adding alcohol to the final product and ending up with an unbalanced beer. If you make good beer, you can get your buzz by drinking an extra beer, but that extra will taste much better.

Wait for the beer to mature before you drink much of it. All the homebrews I have tried tasted much better a month after I bottled them and some needed 2 to 3 months to get really good.

What are some good recipes kits? I was thinking about using the AHS Gold Seal Extract Recipe Kits. They all look fairly straight forward to me and they have a nice variety to choose from.

What are some good recipes kits? I was thinking about using the AHS Gold Seal Extract Recipe Kits. They all look fairly straight forward to me and they have a nice variety to choose from.

Well what kind of beer do you like to drink?

The gold seal kits look a bit cookie cutter with the add pack and no yeast options. But done right I'm sure they are very drinkable beers.

I'm a big fan of AHS but I've only tried the regular kits and the clone kits.

For a second there it sounded like you want to make bad beer. Cause if you want to make bad beer, I can't help you. I'm only into making good beer. If you listen to my advice you can make good beer too. But If you want to make bad beer then your on your own. I try not to make bad beer. I don't like bad beer cause bad beer is bad.

My intentions are not to brew bad beer and I am indeed striving to make good beer. The point I was trying to make is that I am willing to accept mistakes as I learn the correct processes. My intentions are not to completely ignore the rules and known facts of home brewing just to get something into a glass.

To make good beer remember:
Sanitation #1
Proper amounts of healthy yeast #2.
Fermentation control #3

If you have the coin and are willing to invest in some. Get a stir plate and flask for making starters. Get a fridge for temp control. I'd consider these basic equipment for making good beer. You could boil your wort in a garbage can over a campfire and stir it with a tree branch. If you took that crazy wort and properly fermented it, you'd have good beer. On the flip side you could make fantastic wort with a million dollar beer sculpture and if you took that wort and f'd up the ferment you'd have bad beer. Friends don't let friends drink bad beer.

I appreciate the advice. This is the type of information that I was looking for by starting this topic. I included some of my recent attempts at brewing because I knew there are mistakes that can be easily corrected.

PS: I also knew my post would get some negative responses. Why? Because the normal method of advancement in this hobby is not the best method.

No. Because I have spent an hour or two, just about every day, on this board since the the day I joined. There is a wealth of knowledge here and there are many helpful members but saw a lot of negativity in beginner threads.

And as far as a non-typical advancement in the hobby: How is wanting to upgrade to a fermenting bucket, a secondary and a nice brew pot from a MR. Beer kit not following the "standard" progression?

Well what kind of beer do you like to drink?

The gold seal kits look a bit cookie cutter with the add pack and no yeast options. But done right I'm sure they are very drinkable beers.

I'm a big fan of AHS but I've only tried the regular kits and the clone kits.

If I had to name a specific beer that stuck out, that would lend itself to home brewing I would say it was a Vanilla Java Porter. Aside from that I tend to like my beer light and very drinkable.

If I had to name a specific beer that stuck out, that would lend itself to home brewing I would say it was a Vanilla Java Porter. Aside from that I tend to like my beer light and very drinkable.

Any beer can be home brewed so if you like light beer then make light beer. Try the AHS Cream Ale kit or the American Wheat or the Blond ale

If you really want Vanilla Java Porter, get the AHS Robust porter or the brown porter and add some vanilla and coffee. It make take a few tries to tweak the amounts of vanilla and coffee and get the perfect balance of flavors. But you can enjoy the journey.

How is wanting to upgrade to a fermenting bucket, a secondary and a nice brew pot from a MR. Beer kit not following the "standard" progression?

That sounds "standard" but IMHO it's not the "best" progression.

I'd forgo the secondary all together. If you have proper fermentation there will be no need for the secondary. A secondary is a crutch for a lousy ferment.

A nice brew pot will not make better beer then an ugly brew pot. Fermentation is the key to great beer. The pot has no effect on the ferment. In fact most of the shiny metal objects the brewers drool over have very little bearing on fermentation.

Even mr.beer could make top notch award wining beer with a good fermentation.

Any beer can be home brewed so if you like light beer then make light beer. Try the AHS Cream Ale kit or the American Wheat or the Blond ale

If you really want Vanilla Java Porter, get the AHS Robust porter or the brown porter and add some vanilla and coffee. It make take a few tries to tweak the amounts of vanilla and coffee and get the perfect balance of flavors. But you can enjoy the journey.

Thank You. I think attempting to recreate the Atwater Vanilla Java porter that I liked is a bit beyond my skill right now. I am sure I will eventually get there.

That sounds "standard" but IMHO it's not the "best" progression.

I'd forgo the secondary all together. If you have proper fermentation there will be no need for the secondary. A secondary is a crutch for a lousy ferment.

A nice brew pot will not make better beer then an ugly brew pot. Fermentation is the key to great beer. The pot has no effect on the ferment. In fact most of the shiny metal objects the brewers drool over have very little bearing on fermentation.

Even mr.beer could make top notch award wining beer with a good fermentation.
Your advice is definitely getting through to me. Proper fermentation is the key to creating good beer. However, the reason I want a nice pot is because I always feel funny when I am mixing wort in the pot I make spaghetti sauce in. haha

***UPDATE 2/13/2011***

So I would like to add a little more progress to this thread since the last time I posted in here about my experiences.

My apfelwein has since finished and I bottled that. I ended up adding a can of concentrate to it at bottling for some sweetness and to revive some apple flavor. I ended up with 9 750ml bottles, of which I left 3 still and carb'd 6. I have had a chance to drink some of the still apfelwein and I very much enjoy it. I am eagerly awaiting the chance to try the carbonated ones! Hopefully next weekend.

The other batch I have that is still hanging out is a MB extract wheat beer which has been racked onto frozen strawberries. This is the first time I have used frozen fruit in a secondary so I am pretty excited to bottle this and try it out.

On Friday 2/11/11, I took my tax return money to the LHBS and spent a nice portion of it on equipment. I had a detailed list, prices and money burning a whole in my pocket. :drunk:

I only ended up doing about 400 dollars in damage but that did include a 10 percent discount since I spent so much. The people at South Hills Brewing near Pittsburgh, PA really helped me out a great deal. Being that I manage retail stores as a career, I really appreciate good customer service. I purchased all of the equipment I would need to get me just about to the AG point when my knowledge reaches that. The only thing that I need to eventually buy is going to be a wort chiller, I am probably going to skip the cooper coil style and go with a plate chiller.

Anyway, I brewed my first 5gal partial mash batch last night. It was a brewers best robust porter kit that I plan on adding some coffee and vanilla to at bottling. I will say that my first impression is pure joy. I had a blast steeping the grains and adding hops to the boil! It was much more involved that I was use to but i felt in control the whole time. I thought I was hooked when I was playing with MB kits but last night took it to a whole new level. The porter is happily bubbling away in my spare room and I am already trying to figure out what I want to brew next.

I must say that I am pretty excited to get some home brew in my pipeline. I have beer at just about all possible stages except for in the refrigerator. :rockin:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any comments/questions are welcomed. I know I didn't add a lot of detail but I am pretty confident in my process thus far. I will attribute that to this site. There is a great day of information here if you take the time to thoroughly search.

I forgot to add that I also have started another apfelwein recipe. It went like this:

2.5 gal Apple Juice
1lb Brown Sugar
1lb Corn Sugar
1lb Raisins

I re-pitched onto my previous apfelwein yeast cake and all I can say is that I learned a quick lesson on violent fermentation. :D

On Friday 2/11/11, I took my tax return money to the LHBS and spent a nice portion of it on equipment. I had a detailed list, prices and money burning a whole in my pocket. :drunk:

I only ended up doing about 400 dollars in damage but that did include a 10 percent discount since I spent so much. The people at South Hills Brewing near Pittsburgh, PA really helped me out a great deal. Being that I manage retail stores as a career, I really appreciate good customer service. I purchased all of the equipment I would need to get me just about to the AG point when my knowledge reaches that. The only thing that I need to eventually buy is going to be a wort chiller, I am probably going to skip the cooper coil style and go with a plate chiller.

Anyway, I brewed my first 5gal partial mash batch last night. It was a brewers best robust porter kit that I plan on adding some coffee and vanilla to at bottling. I will say that my first impression is pure joy. I had a blast steeping the grains and adding hops to the boil! It was much more involved that I was use to but i felt in control the whole time. I thought I was hooked when I was playing with MB kits but last night took it to a whole new level. The porter is happily bubbling away in my spare room and I am already trying to figure out what I want to brew next.

I must say that I am pretty excited to get some home brew in my pipeline. I have beer at just about all possible stages except for in the refrigerator. :rockin:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any comments/questions are welcomed. I know I didn't add a lot of detail but I am pretty confident in my process thus far. I will attribute that to this site. There is a great day of information here if you take the time to thoroughly search.

I've brewed that Robust Porter kit. I thought it tasted kind of thin for a "robust" porter and only drank it occasionally until one day about 2 months after brewing it, BOOM it became robust. It was a real pleasant surprise to see how good it was and a shock that it took so long to get this way. Keep a bunch of your bottles hidden away from the light and after about a month, start sampling one per week until they become good.:rockin:

Back