I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch with a bottle of GT's raw unflavored Kombucha.I thought I read to keep it in a dark place,but the wife wanted it in the kitchen.It is now on the counter wrapped in aluminum foil,with a cloth covering the top.Overkill most likely. :) So,the questions:

1.The tea is an a gallon jar.After it brews,is it common practice to remove the scoby (and 2 cups of the fermented tea as a starter) for the next batch,while the balance of tea is for consuming? Then might I further assume,that the jar needs to be washed,and new tea brewed for the scoby and 2 cups starter?

2. Is it possible to do the brewing in quart jars? I saw a video where the video presenter said to split a jar of GT's kombucha between 3-4 quart jars. Wouldn't it be neccessary to brew some black tea for the starter to ferment and to then grow a small scoby? Nothing was said about brewing tea for the starter to ferment. If this is a valid technique, does anyone have an idea of how much tea to brew for the quart fermenting? I thought to do a jar each week till the GT''s Kombucha was all used. That way, I would likely have some finished tea each week. Would that be enough tea for daily use?

Thank you in advance.

This is a good countertop option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCOQ10W/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glc_fabc_cTW4FbX4292HX

I throw a starsan soaked cotton rag between my crock and lid but I’m guessing that’s overkill as well.

I just bottle (or fruit) my 80 percent and dump my new tea right in but I know a lot of people that pull the scoby and starter tea and wash between each batch. I really only pull and wash when I’m taking a break from making it. I don’t really have any insight on the jar method, except that starter tea accuracy is more demanding with smaller batches. Look into the idea of a scoby hotel if you go with jars since you’d be juggling many scobies instead of just 1.

You can make kombucha batches like you describe in #1 or you can do the continuous brew method. In the latter, you remove fermented kombucha for drinking and replace it with newly brewed sweet tea without having to remove the SCOBY. However, remember to always leave enough starter tea in the jar. Eventually, you will have to remove and trim down the SCOBY because it will grow too large.
The crock with a spigot linked by Funky Frank is a good way to do the continuous brew method, because you can drain the kombucha you want to drink from the spigot and then just add new sweet tea to the top.

I make 3 gallon batches in an SS Brewtech mini brew bucket. When a 3 gallon batch tastes right (about 3 weeks of fermenting), I remove the SCOBY and about 1/2 gallon of kombucha and set it aside. I then add fruit and/or spices to the fermenter and let it sit for 5-7 days. I then keg the flavored kombucha and carbonate it. After that, I clean the fermenter out, add 2 1/2 gallons of new, sweet tea and put the SCOBY and half gallon of starter tea back in the fermenter and start all over again.

One tip that I discovered that makes the process a lot easier is to make sun tea. I put 8-9 tea bags in a gallon jar of water when I go to work and put it out in the sun. When I get home from work, I remove the tea bags, add 1 cup of sugar and use that for my kombucha. I have 3 one- gallon jars, so I can make 3 gallons of sun tea at a time to fill my fermenter.

Finally, create a SCOBY hotel. If you are not doing the continuous brew method, you will see that your SCOBY basically doubles itself every time you make a new batch. Collect enough fermented kombucha to almost fill a gallon jar and start saving extra SCOBY's in the jar. Every once in a while add a little sweet tea to keep the jar full and to feed the SCOBY's. Otherwise, they will last a long time in the hotel and can be used for new batches or if your old SCOBY goes bad.

Suggestion: Buy this: The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea: Crum, Hannah, LaGory, Alex, Katz, Sandor Ellix: 9781612124339: Amazon.com: Books It is very helpful.

Last edited:
You can make kombucha batches like you describe in #1 or you can do the continuous brew method. In the latter, you remove fermented kombucha for drinking and replace it with newly brewed sweet tea without having to remove the SCOBY. However, remember to always leave enough starter tea in the jar. Eventually, you will have to remove and trim down the SCOBY because it will grow too large.
The crock with a spigot linked by Funky Frank is a good way to do the continuous brew method, because you can drain the kombucha you want to drink from the spigot and then just add new sweet tea to the top.

I make 3 gallon batches in an SS Brewtech mini brew bucket. When a 3 gallon batch tastes right (about 3 weeks of fermenting), I remove the SCOBY and about 1/2 gallon of kombucha and set it aside. I then add fruit and/or spices to the fermenter and let it sit for 5-7 days. I then keg the flavored kombucha and carbonate it. After that, I clean the fermenter out, add 2 1/2 gallons of new, sweet tea and put the SCOBY and half gallon of starter tea back in the fermenter and start all over again.

One tip that I discovered that makes the process a lot easier is to make sun tea. I put 8-9 tea bags in a gallon jar of water when I go to work and put it out in the sun. When I get home from work, I remove the tea bags, add 1 cup of sugar and use that for my kombucha. I have 3 one- gallon jars, so I can make 3 gallons of sun tea at a time to fill my fermenter.

Finally, create a SCOBY hotel. If you are not doing the continuous brew method, you will see that your SCOBY basically doubles itself every time you make a new batch. Collect enough fermented kombucha to almost fill a gallon jar and start saving extra SCOBY's in the jar. Every once in a while add a little sweet tea to keep the jar full and to feed the SCOBY's. Otherwise, they will last a long time in the hotel and can be used for new batches or if your old SCOBY goes bad.

Suggestion: Buy this: The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea: Crum, Hannah, LaGory, Alex, Katz, Sandor Ellix: 9781612124339: Amazon.com: Books It is very helpful.

I dunno how I got the multiquote to be upside down :( . Ok...I'm going to have to do some studying up.I'm going to need another jar at the minimum as well.

I will confess that I did a batch of Kombucha at least 10yrs ago. I had a reaction that was unpleasant and have not tried it again since then. As a result I am going to bring a batch to maturity,and see how it goes. I thought to do a smallish batch,and take it a little early. I also reacted to home fermented Sauerkraut, as well as Kimchee when I was in the Philippines. I thought maybe I had become histamine intolerant, but recently bought some commercial Kimchee here in Oregon and tolerated it well. Can't figure it out,but I am sure enjoying the heck out of Kimchee.

After I try my Kombucha when it is finished,I'll know more about where I go from here. I have gut issues and looking for some remedy of the homemade variety.

Thanks so much for the help. I'm just going to have to get some familiarity with the processes and terminology. All in good time.

Slim

This is a good countertop option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCOQ10W/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glc_fabc_cTW4FbX4292HX

I throw a starsan soaked cotton rag between my crock and lid but I’m guessing that’s overkill as well.

I just bottle (or fruit) my 80 percent and dump my new tea right in but I know a lot of people that pull the scoby and starter tea and wash between each batch. I really only pull and wash when I’m taking a break from making it. I don’t really have any insight on the jar method, except that starter tea accuracy is more demanding with smaller batches. Look into the idea of a scoby hotel if you go with jars since you’d be juggling many scobies instead of just 1.

That is a nice looking crock! That is probably worth having no matter how the Kombucha turns out. When you mention 80 percent,you are reserving 20 percent for the next brewing I take it? Like I said in my reply to pvpeacock,I am at a knowledge deficit until I get a couple of batches done. I just was thinking that quarts would be easier. I'm glad I asked first before I jumped into it. :D

Thanks for setting me straight.

Slim

Yeah. I pull 80ish percent and reserve 20ish percent as starter tea. This is again overkill as the traditional recipes only use 12 percent by volume of starter tea.

So.The Daughter bought me a gallon jar 4 Christmas. Regular mouth of course.:oops: I can get my had in the jar tho if I put a little squeeze on it,so it i still workable.

I read posts on the interwebs that the Kombucha doesn't like to be jostled,or shook up etc.Is this correct...or partially? Should extra care be taken?

If I wanted to take some early before it had reached 10 days,would that be harmful in any way? It would just have minimum or light fermentation?

Thanks.

Slim

Every time you disturb it it will start another scoby layer. Mess with it enough and it will have layers like a biscuit. If this is your first foray into brewing and you enjoy the process and end product ,my I suggest an upgrade in your fermenter to one with a spigot for bottling and sampling.

Every time you disturb it it will start another scoby layer. Mess with it enough and it will have layers like a biscuit. If this is your first foray into brewing and you enjoy the process and end product ,my I suggest an upgrade in your fermenter to one with a spigot for bottling and sampling.

I like that fermenter that Funky Frank suggested,but I'd like to get through a brewing or two first.It has been exactly 7 days now,and I see the beginning of a very slight film on top.The tea itself is a very light color.I may add an extra tea bag next cycle.

I like to taste the tea in the finished booch,so i use 14 grams per gal. I cut and weighed bagged tea from 3 different mfg. and each one was 2 grams.

Back