I have a bunch of random hops. How should I use them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticBastard

Reaction score
I got a bulk hop deal from Austin Homebrew awhile back and haven't touched them since. I'd like to use them for something before I buy shops for a specific recipe. If anyone sees a way to make a Black IPA happen with these as the backbone I would be thrilled. Thanks guys!

In total I have:

3oz Summit
3oz Warrior
3oz Willamette
3oz Nugget
3oz Galena
3oz Columbus

I haven't brewed a Black IPA yet, but you could probably brew a nice one with Warrior as a bittering hop and Summit and Columbus as late additions. From my experience with Summit, I think it'd be nice in any sort of black ale.

First I would use the summit for fertilizer...:D

Then Id bitter with warrior and use the columbus on the back end.

I do an IPA with Summit, Columbus, and Nugget in equal amounts at FWH, 20,10,0, and Dry Hop, its Resinous, Earthy, and has a little Tangerine flavor too. I think that combo in a Black IPA would work well.

Excellent. Thanks guys. Anybody have a good IPA base recipe that I could use with this? I apologize for the extremely basic questions. I'm new to formulating my own recipes.

Back