I have 2 questions (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew77

Reaction score
I made some Apelwein about a year ago. I never added sorbate or kmeta. I looked at the bottles today and it has some stuff floating in it. Is it something that can be saved???

I also made some Twisted Mist Mojito last summer and the bottles have sediment on the bottom. Just drink it and avoid the the last drink?

Thanks for the help.

1) What's the floating stuff look like, and where is it floating at? What was your original source of liquid? (For example, if it was fresh cider and you didn't add pectinase, and the liquid is currently clear and the stuff looks like little jellyfish at the bottom, then it's probably just pectin that dropped out, and it's fine. You can even drink it if you want (there's no texture to it, it just clouds up the last drink). If it's big blobby lumps, definately avoid.)

2) What kind of sediment? More than likely it'll just be solids that precipitated out. Could be yeast, could be some of the last additions, could be wine crystals. So probably just pour it all and leave that bit sitting on the bottom.

No one else seems to have piped up yet. Got any pictures of it? Might help to see what it is. It sounds odd to me.

I think there is a common misconception that nothing can harm you in home-made fermented beverages. It is IMPROBABLE, not IMPOSSIBLE. This was probably just some pectin floating around.

Back