I hate WY1968. What's wrong with me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmclark12

Reaction score
I've made three beers with this yeast, and I absolutely hate the character it gives. Hate the smell. Hate the taste. Hate its very soul. Wish I could punch its smug little Brit face. Am I alone here because I am seeing nothing but good things about it?

I've never used it, but based on the description of it I'm going to guess that it does that sharp, tangy, slightly sour, slightly spicy with a hint of bramble fruit thing combined with high and sudden unexpected flocculation usually leaving you scratching your head way off FG and wondering if you should have gone warmer and risked ending up with even more tang.

Usually ends up with low attenuation anyway so it feels slightly heavy and cloying. Makes you weary drinking more than a pint or so and is considered very old fashioned in the UK now. Cask and bottle conditioning is also hit and miss as a result, especially with more modern cellar practices.

What is new and exotic to one region is often old and boring to another. I can imagine Americans with relatively highly attenuating clean strains would find that very refreshing. Conversely in the UK we are all about clean strains because they allow other flavours to shine rather than leaving you wondering if what you are drinking has gone off.

Some would say the key to these yeasts is temperature management, but lots of traditional breweries used unique systems and fermentation vessels which accommodated the yeasts deficiencies long before temperature management which are unrealistic to replicate. Also the stuff left the brewery after 3-4 days still fermenting compared to common home brew practice leaving beer for absolutely stupid lengths of time in primary or secondry so the yeast dropping out on you wasn't the issue. We aren't above rousing yeast, repitching and even using a different strain to bottle either, these practices are more common than you think as you need to do what works to meet schedules.

Another aspect is the nature of cask conditioning. Many of these beers would have left the brewery in casks a couple of points off apparent final attenuation and would undergo secondary fermentation within the cask for another couple of points in a nice cool cellar. Stronger beers would have hopefully had much longer. Hop rates were much lower, volatile aromatics weren't as much of a concern, this process was much kinder to the style.

I'm glad you don't like it. I don't really like it either. It is still a historic thing though and the reasons why it was popular and why it worked are often quite educational.

Some people hate S-04. Some people hate Fuggles. I hate cilantro. Eh, just cross it off the list.

I use it for one of my recipes and really like it. What temp have you been fermenting it at? I ferment it on the low end, 64-66. Then give it a diacetyl rest. What actual character are you getting?

WY1968 and Conan are my "house" strains. I have a Dark Mild in my fermenter right now that it's currently eating away at. I love 1968. It always attenuates out completely for me, but I do pay a lot of attention to temps and if you don't, it can flocc out early on the cold side very easily. For most beers I try to keep it around 67-68 and then ramp up to 70-71 when I get close to FG. It's consistent as can be for me, but I'm usually multiple generations in. Plus it floccs out amazingly well and gives crystal clear beers without any additional finings.

I do think it has a pretty recognizable esther profile, though, but I happen to like it. To each their own!

Dan

I had a similar thing happen with US-05. It was my go-to yeast for years and then, about two years ago, it seemed that it had suddenly changed. I was getting a bad taste and even a nasty smell that I couldn't stand. I blamed my water, my mash pH, my PET carboys, and even a switch from fly-sparging to batch sparging until I finally realized it was the yeast.

It's a very popular yeast, so it would seem that more people would be complaining if it was really bad, so I'm just going to chalk it up to differences in taste. I'm now discovering different yeasts and lovin' the change.

First, there is nothing wrong with you. Everybody has different tastes. I would ask what styles you brewed with it, but it really does not matter much in the end. There are plenty of options for English yeast strains that you can easily avoid WY1968 and not miss it at all.

OP, don't listen to people who say there is nothing wrong with you. There is! This is a great yeast strain, how dare you speak ill of my favorite yeast!

:D

Just use wlp007. My favorite, and go to, yeast strain. Reliable with good character and attenuation. Flocs out with a bit of cold. Great yeast

Back