I hate pissing matches w/ my boss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
My previous job to this was IT (still is). I went to lunch for over 8 years at the same time, that being 11am-12pm. At my new job i'm to go at 12-1.

Today my brain, at an otherwise uneventfull/no brains required IT job, sees 11:21 and I said to myself "**** I'm late going to lunch"... so I dart out the door thinking it's time.

I get back and my boss emails me, he SITS 12 feet from me:

" is there a reason you went to lunch at 1120?"

Me realizing my mistake replied with: "didnt realize what time it was."

Then he replies with "Or were you trying to get lunches started early so you can leave earlier? Just so you know I'm actually still the one who sets schedules. "

I VOLUNTEERED TO GOTO OUR OTHER OFFICE THIS AFTERNOON 60 MILES AWAY TO WORK OVERTIME.

I realize he's younger than me and this is his first manager job so I cut him some slack when it comes to argueing. However this is petty bull****, there is 1/2 hour leaving early for a 1 hour lunch and judgeing from the state of the two guys that were still here and my phone log, no calls have come in for an hour.

WTF?

/end rant.

He might as well said, "You may have left for lunch 40 minutes early, but remember, I have a bigger penis! Make sure you tell everyone that. It's very important. It's not small at all."

GAWD!

Thank you for this.

I love my job. Show up at 8:00, HBT til 12:00, back at 1:00, review, review, HBT in between, leave promptly at 5:00.

What's more, the attitude from management here is "if you've earned vacation time we have no business telling you when you can't use it".

GAWD!

Thank you for this.

I love my job. Show up at 8:00, HBT til 12:00, back at 1:00, review, review, HBT in between, leave promptly at 5:00.

What's more, the attitude from management here is "if you've earned vacation time we have no business telling you when you can't use it".

damn that's wierd i'm in the navy and that's pretty much my schedule except for the reviewing thing

I had a 'boss' that would look at his watch every morning when I got to work. We were working 60 hrs/wk minimum on pre-funded start up salary. So what if I get to work at 9:15? I was there past 7 and working Saturday too.

He lasted three weeks before engineering revolted.

I always win with my boss. He doesn't like to rock the boat and I like to get **** done. Go over his head all the time. My boss doesn't really matter to me anymore.

Now when it comes to my employees, there is no pissing contest. There is only the fact that if you don't do your ****ing job I get pissed. But I am very lenient when it comes to lunch times, time off, breaks, etc. But if you don't do your job, I will bring the thunder.

FYI: I'm 5 years younger than both my employees. At times I think they resent that. But when I ask to get something done and they give me excuses, who is more childish?

I had a talk with them yesterday: "I no longer want to hear excuses. I know we're busy, and I know what the REASONS are that you can't get X done. It doesn't matter. When I ask for X to get done, it needs to get done. The fact that you are overworked doesn't change the fact that the work needs to be done. Take the overtime if you need it, but when I give you a project, it better well be completed in the time allotted. If I end up doing it myself, the **** will rain down."

I abhor doing other peoples work for them. I will rub it in their face like a dog that urinated on my carpet. If you procrastinate like a child, I will treat you like a child.

/hijack rant

I always win with my boss. He doesn't like to rock the boat and I like to get **** done. Go over his head all the time. My boss doesn't really matter to me anymore.

Now when it comes to my employees, there is no pissing contest. There is only the fact that if you don't do your ****ing job I get pissed. But I am very lenient when it comes to lunch times, time off, breaks, etc. But if you don't do your job, I will bring the thunder.

FYI: I'm 5 years younger than both my employees. At times I think they resent that. But when I ask to get something done and they give me excuses, who is more childish?

I had a talk with them yesterday: "I no longer want to hear excuses. I know we're busy, and I know what the REASONS are that you can't get X done. It doesn't matter. When I ask for X to get done, it needs to get done. The fact that you are overworked doesn't change the fact that the work needs to be done. Take the overtime if you need it, but when I give you a project, it better well be completed in the time allotted. If I end up doing it myself, the **** will rain down."

I abhor doing other peoples work for them. I will rub it in their face like a dog that urinated on my carpet. If you procrastinate like a child, I will treat you like a child.

/hijack rant

my supervisorial style exactly 'cept i'm in the military so i can yell and cuss 'em and all but smack 'em while i'm doing it...

That sucks. I'd be keeping a sharp eye out for a place that would treat me with some respect.

That sucks. I'd be keeping a sharp eye out for a place that would treat me with some respect.

At least a sharp something to treat a respectful place in his eye. Before which you'd better have procured the former, preferebly with a defense lawyer.

He's 12ft away from you and he emails you this? Doesn't have the balls to pull you aside and ask you?

A guy I know told me that the owner of his previous job fired all the employees via text messages one day. Classy.

My boss doesn't really matter to me anymore.

/hijack rant

Holy crap! How about get some extra staff or manage your workload so your people don't have to rebel in order to have a reasonable work environment? Rub their faces in it? Heck of a management strategy. Nothing like motivating people with intimidation and humiliation. I can't imagine running a crew like that. I prefer using reason and respect, but to each his own...

A guy I know told me that the owner of his previous job fired all the employees via text messages one day. Classy.

Ugh. People shouldn't be in those positions if they don't have the common courtesy and testicular fortitude to do it face-to-face. They want the pay but don't want to have to wear the big boy pants. :mad:

Holy crap! How about get some extra staff or manage your workload so your people don't have to rebel in order to have a reasonable work environment? Rub their faces in it? Heck of a management strategy. Nothing like motivating people with intimidation and humiliation. I can't imagine running a crew like that. I prefer using reason and respect, but to each his own...

If I have to do your job because you're slacking off, you will hear about it. Otherwise, I'm very encouraging, supportive and helpful. Much more so than my own boss. That rant was from a specific incident. That's why it was a "rant".

And until they allow me to get some extra staff, we have to suck it up and handle the workload. Being "overwhelmed" doesn't matter when it's the only possible situation. I've been understaffed for quite some time. I'm sure it's discouraging for my guys at times, but that doesn't give them an excuse.

I should have some more help next month and we can start taking vacations again. Until then, I'm just as ****ed as they are. We all have to deal with it.

But thank you for pointing this out. It was a stupid thing for me to say online just because I was angry.

If I have to do your job because you're slacking off, you will hear about it. Otherwise, I'm very encouraging, supportive and helpful.

I'm the same way at teh restaurant.
If my crew is busting ass and making people happy.. their day is an easy one.

if they slack... there is Hell to pay. If i have to do their job ( like I did tonight ) two things happen.... they are notified of their failure to perform and they are removed from the closing schedule ( the best schedule.. most hours.. coolest manager ).

They know if they do their jobs.. I leave them alone.
If they don't I am a demon unleashed to haunt their souls.

/hijack rant

I bet your coffee tastes funny.

I'm the same way at teh restaurant.
If my crew is busting ass and making people happy.. their day is an easy one.

if they slack... there is Hell to pay.

I used to be a restaurant manager. There's way more to it than it appears on the surface. I used to love busy Friday and Saturday nights when everyone was on top of their game. Good times.

Hmm...I need a woman, too. Maybe I'll get a witch to come live with me in the woods. We can befriend the local woodland critters.

1111_woodland_critters.jpg

Hmm...I need a woman, too. Maybe I'll get a witch to come live with me in the woods. We can befriend the local woodland critters.

1111_woodland_critters.jpg

woodland critters are tasty..... i don't need anything from the corporate world.... i can hunt, grow my produce, make beer, and build a house. I'd be pretty much set after a nuclear holocaust....

I've never grown barley before. A little practice with that and I'll be ready for the zombie apocalypse ;)

barley and grains are actually one of the easiest to grow... right now, i'm watching history channel learning how to butcher a cow and pig.. sure it's not too much different from deer or wild hogs but don't wanna waste meat...

I used to be a restaurant manager. There's way more to it than it appears on the surface.

juggling labor hours is my nightmare. Corporate wants low hours but HIGH service.

BWAHAHHAAAAAAAAA

good thing I have a sense of humor and lots of beer at home.

Back